Thoughts on this Eurorack layout?

So, after some thinking, and realizing what I’m looking for musically, I’ve decided to try to start putting together a Eurorack set. I’m going to be using my Minibrute 2S with the RackBrute 6U installed. Here’s what I have so far on Modular Grid.
Basically, I designed this to be able to improvise and/or produce generative patches that I can work on in conjunction with the 2S, all mixed through my Zoom H6. I don’t know if I’m overdoing it or not with some of these modules, though I did purposefully leave some space open just in case I want to try something in the future. Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated!

3 Likes

I’m going to apologize in advance for the long response, but hey, this is what the forum is for, right?

These are all great modules (I own almost all of them!) that you should get plenty of use out of. The thing with modular is, everyone tells you to start with one or two modules and fully learn them, only adding more when you’re absolutely sure what you want. There’s some wisdom to that, but I took the opposite approach: going nuts with it and getting a lot of stuff that looked cool and useful, then diving in and seeing what I could make. It’s worked for me and is still a ton of fun years later. Don’t overthink it or second-guess yourself too much. You’ve already selected quality parts, and you’ll definitely be able to do cool stuff with it.

I just have a few suggestions. First, I would strongly consider getting a stereo mixer module, especially because the Pittsburgh Modular Outs module has stereo inputs. I have the Doepfer A-138s mini stereo mixer, and it’s solid: four channels with level and panning controls in not much space, and you can go straight from that to the Outs module.

Second, the only questionable inclusion with the others is Grids. It’s a great module for triggering drums/percussion, but I don’t see any dedicated drum/percussion modules. Of course, you can use Peaks to get one or two drums and some other percussive sounds out of Elements, Plaits, and Rings, but that will either remove one or two envelope generators (Peaks) or melodic voices (the others). If you want some dedicated drum/percussion modules, 2hp have a line of reportedly great and reasonably affordable modules that won’t take up much space. An even more space-efficient and cost-effective solution is the soundmachines SD1 simpledrum, which packs in six channels (each with multiple sound options) in only 6hp and is easy to use. Frankly, the sounds themselves are not universally great, but there’s a lot of variety, and it definitely gets the job done. There’s also onboard reverb (definitely not the best when extremely wet, but adding a little is fine) and a bonus synth mode, and everything is mixed to a single output. It was the first rhythm module I got, and I still use it more than any other because it’s easy.

Have fun! Modular is a blast.

3 Likes

Oops, one more suggestion: a filter. In my experience, you won’t need one with Elements or Rings because they stand on their own, but for some of the waveforms in Plaits, you’re probably going to want to sculpt the sound in some way. Or not! Everyone does different stuff, and not everyone wants a filter :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agreed. Or even just a VCA/mixer combo (I think Shades is the Mutable version). Blinds is great, but the attenuverter don’t have a dead zone around zero meaning it’s a little tricky to fully silence signals.

Also, for your tastes (crazy noise), I would recommend some distortion and wavefolding modules. Maybe also some delay module that you can use for feedback loops and general mayhem.

4 Likes

Thank you all so much for your feedback!

@stustumaru, I really appreciate what you said about taking things slow. I think I almost just took the route you took and locked myself down with everything, when, you’re right, I really should just take my time, especially since the Minibrute can basically cover for anything I might need, like extra attenuators, LFOs, etc. I’ll definitely take a look at that Doepfer mixer—I sort of figured that I wouldn’t be needing one with Blinds, but now I see that that was a serious oversight.With regards to the drums, that’s also a good point: I thought it might be cooler to be able to use the VCO capabilities of some of the Mutable modules as opposed to straight-up drum sounds—it’s not like I’m aiming to make a hip-hop mixtape or anything—but the SD1 seems like a good fit, especially for 6HP. I was thinking about a filter as well, possibly that TipTop Audio one that has like a couple different filter types.

And, @robertsyrett, I’ve put down a lot of money on guitar pedals in the past, so I thought it would be more of a space-saving option to just use those pedals as effects before the signal goes into the H6. It’s probably not the cleanest idea, but, like you said, I do like some crazy noise, haha.

So, with all that in mind: what would y’all suggest for me to buy first? There’s obviously no way I’d be able to buy all of these at once, and I like Stu’s idea of taking it slow and build out. I really like the idea of adding some randomness to a patch, so Chance is probably a big contender, but I’m open to suggestions. And, if you guys have any more specific suggestions for modules, please let me know, since I’m pretty much only at the beginning of this rabbit hole, haha.

2 Likes

Okay, here’s an update on the current grid: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1102070
I like it a lot more, and whaddaya know, it’s actually cheaper than the other one, haha.

1 Like

A used ES-8.

2 Likes

Ooh, yes, I forgot about the ES8.

2 Likes

An ES-9 would be another alternative. It has a pretty fancy mixer built in and of course lots more I/O.

1 Like

That’s a good option too. I kind of want to wait until Audulus has MIDI out until I get some sort of interface, though.

2 Likes

The reason I suggested a used one is because you could get close to what you paid for it back if you want an alternative. Having Audulus available to your eurorack will allow you to explore various types of synthesis and use different tools in a pinch. I really like the idea of being able to use a rack on its own without the need for Audulus. But I also like being able to use Audulus for signal processing and a zillion other applications. Often I’ll see a digital oscillator or something coming out but then I just turn to Audulus. I mean you could have a polyphonic digital synth and all else that goes with it for the price of a used ES-8. That’s hard to beat. Just saw a used ES-9.

That’s a really good point, actually. Getting at least some sort of ES interface module is a goal of mine at some point, mostly because I don’t want to keep adding on modules and racks forever: it’d be nice to just be able to make some of the extra stuff you might need, like an LFO or what have you (well, when MIDI out is finally available). Signal processing is a good idea too, though: I do have a few effects that I really like using in Audulus.

Actually, to add onto what @futureaztec was saying: do you guys recommend buying used or new? Aside from the ES modules, of course. I just don’t want to get screwed over, or, like, have to figure out what ribbon cable I need to use if the seller doesn’t include one (i.e., I’m not very savvy with the nitty-gritty details of electronics).

1. Single channel quantizer probably won’t be enough for 3 voices, so I would either ditch it or look for something with more channels.
  2. I generally don’t understand mixers without cv inputs for gain and mixing.
  3. Knobfarm Ooots is probably more interesting output module https://www.modulargrid.net/e/knob-farm-ooots
  4. Elements and Rings overlap in many ways, maybe its better to choose one or the other as a starting point, considering the hp of Elements in this compact system.
  5. I would go for a small gate / trigger sequencer like Varigate 4+ or other instead of generative Grids - intention over automation. I wish Varigate 4+ had more than 8 steps tho, but there might be other options. This is also interesting: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/dnipro-modular-dot
  6. Overall there’s too few modulation sources.
1 Like

I highly recommend buying used. There are always risks. If you go through Reverb.com there is some protection as a buyer and seller. Used Eurorack is actually very affordable. Also it is a bit of a nicer community than, say, automobiles which is where everyone just throws ethics out the window.

Also, these modules are investments. One day the originals will probably be worth a car. My prediction. But that will take a decade or two. I think jacks are vulnerable. Also, it depends on the initial quality of the module. Happy Nerding, for example has great potentiometers. Erica synths pico line are not in the same league, but priced accordingly.

Also, with used, consider shops. Detroit Modular, Patchweks, etc.

1 Like

What would you suggest for modulation modules? Also, thank you so much for all the other feedback!

1 Like

Okay, good to know! Thank you!

Maths is the single most popular Eurorack module according to modular grid, so it would certainly be on the top of my list.

2 Likes

I like quad lfo and voltage block from Malekko, but I can’t say I love them to death. I wish VB worked closer to a smooth motion recorder rather than sequencer of voltage values, and quad lfo could be modulated by external cv and not just having its own sequencer and ability to sequence different paraments internally.

Many people like Maths, Batumi and Zadar, or some random stuff, but having just two ad envelopes from Maths is just not enough for me, even with self-patching etc. Batumi and Zadar have too few controls, but Zadar might be more interesting of the two.

I guess you need a really clear understanding of how you want to interact with your system, what balance of intention vs random or generative modulation, its very personal.

2 Likes

Okay, this is all good to know. The Quad LFO looks pretty cool, though, yeah, not having any external cv modulation is kind of annoying…though I guess you could just output it into another LFO. I think I’ve got a good idea of what I’m looking for, now, so thanks!