Thoughts on this Eurorack layout?

What about a clock source. Divided clocks to program drums, changes, as a source for logic, modulatable divided clocks for quantized scale variations. Maybe Pamela’s Workout from ALM.

2 Likes

In the new version I have I added Qu-Bit’s Pulsar and Chance, which I think would probably work as a clock, but after doing some research, Pamela’s Workout seems like a better option right now, so thanks for the heads-up!

1 Like

I went to look at your latest iteration and got an “invalid rack” error from Modular Grid.

Whoops, sorry, here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1103463

1 Like

Okay, so, I’m thinking my first two modules are going to be Plaits and some sort of clock source. I can’t decide between Pamela’s New Workout or Marbles. Any thoughts? I like the randomization capabilities on Marbles, and that it’s also a quantizer, but PNW seems a little more powerful and capable of so much more. I dunno. It’s not like I have to decide immediately, anyway: I’m not pulling the trigger on anything until the beginning of February.

What about Tempi?

Another thought is that you could get a midi host module, such that not only will it produce midi-cv, but the start/stop transport from your brute would be “available” to a host module. So then you get clock sync as well as a way to use the midi from your brute to control your rack oscillators.

It sure looks like your semi modular analog synth and sequencer would be a blast with a rack!

1 Like

I’m not totally sure what you mean by that? Is there a specific module you could point to? I’m assuming it’s something by Expert Sleepers? Haha.

Tempi looks interesting, but I think what I’m really missing from the MiniBrute right now is some randomness, which is why I think PNW or Marbles would be the better choice, just considering their randomization options. Either that or maybe the Qu-Bit Chance, but I don’t know if that’s really as much of a clock as it is just a random source. I’m sort of looking for both randomization and clock generation.

The Minibrute 2S already has a sync clock and run trigger out as well as a volt per octave, gate, velocity and mod wheel CV out, which covers most of what a typical MIDI host module would provide.

2 Likes

Yes. But there are another 15 channels of MIDI. However, it looks like the minibrute is less equipped as a “controller” than I thought as it is nicely focused on the semi-modular jacks.

So it would make sense to not think of it as a master sequencer. I have 4 cv/gate outputs on my Analog Four, but I can also use it to sequence midi. That said, I don’t use it to sequence midi. To be honest, I am not that satisfied with mBrane/Yarns. (The idea was to squeeze a few more cv/gate outputs out of the Analog Four. Although it works to get the transport sync over to the ES-8, I always go to do something and end up all mixed up, or I can’t recall my save or whatever).

I guess I need to spend some time with it and make some decisions. Maybe I should try USB->MIDI>CV where Gadget sequences mBrane/Yarns and it sends cv out to the rack. I need a USB to midi cable.

Just wanted to share some of that because these are working challenges. I like having a setup where I can workaround stuff because almost every time I go to make music something gets in the way, but then I just approach things differently.

2 Likes

I thought this Interview with some prominent figures in the modular world about getting started might be helpful to bring to this conversation.

They raise a lot of the same points I have received from this forum over the last year and a half, but it is all concentrated, and won’t require that you go through and look for the varied history of newbie questions I asked in the same vein.

I hope this will help, and I hope that you will ultimately be happy in whatever path you end up taking in your sonic voyage. Happy patching! :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks for the link!

Okay, so I think I have the rack down: it has everything I’m looking for: a combination of tools for improvisation and generative music, as well as capabilities for some serious noise and the ability to integrate my guitar. So, thanks again, you guys—you’ve been seriously helpful here!

2 Likes