Megathread for keyboard controlled patches

I just stumbled across this video/stream by The Sound Test Room, where he plays around with the presets that come with Audulus 3.

While watching this video I realized that there are a lot of people that aren‘t that interested in making their own patches. Some people just want to play around with the preset a synth offers.
Audulus already has some very good keyboard controlled patches in it’s presets but I think there could be some more :grinning:

There are a lot of really amazing self playing patches here on the forum but there aren‘t that manny keyboard controlled ones (at leased I haven‘t seen so manny).
So I thought we should make some more keyboard controlled patches that can be played without having to set anything up first.
I think this would help all people that want to use Audulus but don‘t want to invest the time to learn how all the modules work or that get scared by how complex Audulus can be.

4 Likes

Here a modified version of the Fluxcapacitor-demo:
Glockenspielish.audulus (291.9 KB)

I also want to link the following tread because you can already find some nice keyboard controlled patches there.
https://discourse.audulus.com/t/audulus-giveaway-contest-keyboard-controlled-patch/788

3 Likes

Pretty good Idea! Keyboard controlled can mean so many things where Audulus is concerned. I think there is lots of room for development for specific modules for this task.

3 Likes

You‘re right, I should specify that.
I was thinking of patches like keys, pads, basses, leads, fx and stuff like that.

What kind of modules do you have in mind?
I think the keyboard input modules in the library are already pretty good.

By the way, I‘m currently on my way to a two-week vacarion in Sweden and I don‘t know jet if I‘ll have access to the internet there.
So I might not be able to write anything here for the next two weeks.

3 Likes

Well modules to facilitate split keyboards is what came to mind, but I’ll get brainstorming.

That sounds awesome! Enjoy your travels :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nothing super special here, but it’s a pipe organ based on a design I learned in a sound design and synthesis class for Berklee College of Music. I was gonna do the nine different oscillators, but I thought that might be a little CPU heavy, as it has only four currently, and the usage sits at ~17-20% when idle. I think it still sounds good, and it really hits heavy with the bass if you’re not being careful. The neighbors will love it if you’re in an apartment like I am lol! Check it out if you’re into the deep rumbling sound of a nice, old classic organ.

:arrow_down: [see below for the new version] :arrow_down:

2 Likes

About split keyboard, this is something I’m struggling a few days ago.

It’s possible split one midi keyboard in two channels just by note?

I don’t know why, but if assign two midi modules, with different channel, the gate is always changing, no matter what channel I configured.

1 Like

If you upload the patch, it might be possible to make a quick and dirty fix. But I would probably set a threshold frequency, above which keyboard info would be sent one way or another.

Keyboard Splitter Proto.audulus (319.5 KB)

Here is a rudimentary switch for the upper and lower portions of the keyboard. I’m pretty sure you could even cascade these to make several zones on the keyboard.

3 Likes

Uo! Amazing!

I’m trying to do my “own” method, inspired A LOT by Alessandro Cortini.

I have a mix of different patches, but to keep simple right now I’m playing with this patch.

I need to investigate more about your keyboard splitter, because I have problems with the split point. When I play any note on the upper split, the lower note up one octave.

duo_midi_split.audulus (885.5 KB)

1 Like

Here are couple of utility modules for keyboards. The first is a modified poly keyboard module that provides a velocity signal. The standard keyboard node outputs a fixed gate of 1 when switched to polyphonic mode. This restores the MIDI velocity information.
Polyphonic MIDI interface with Velocity.audulus (2.3 KB)
The second module is a 4 note keyboard latch I built for an arpeggiator. Its outputs a quad polyphonic signal for the note and gate and the number of notes latched. There is a toggle for latch and velocity. A gate on the input below each toggle will invert the state of the toggle. The pitch output is a 1 per octave signal.
Quad Keyboard Latch V1.audulus (184.2 KB)

1 Like

That’s a pretty good workaround!

1 Like

I’m trying to understand how the switch and linear pan of your splitter works, and I think there is something wrong at the switch.

How works exactly? Because I have some strange behaviour at the outside of the octave linear pan

1 Like

The linear pan is being used as a demux switch (I probably should have used the demux node) which you can think of as a railway switch:

If the note is above the split gets sent out of one outlet and is it is below the split it gets sent out of the other.

The little meter display thing should show you the note where the switch to the upper split begins and the little number indicates the octave in relation to A 440.

2 Likes

Great way to demonstrate your concept @robertsyrett! :smiley: Also, great patches everyone! Kinda makes me feel like my pipe organ v1.1 is not very awesome after all, but I figured if anyone wants it, I should fix it so it doesn’t growl at anything below middle C lol (sorry to anyone that downloaded the first one). This one has been tuned with more oscillators edit: (I tested, and it doesn’t seem to add that much processor load to double the oscillators to 8 total) playing the same notes, added a filter for the square sub-osc, and raised the transposition level of all of the other sub sine waves. I think it sounds better now. :slight_smile:
Pipe Organ v1.1.audulus (90.2 KB)

2 Likes

Got it!

The thing is, in your splitter, when you play notes on the lower part of split and then play one note on the upper part of split, the lower output change to a (0, 0) instead to mantain the previous note. I put a pair of value meters at the outside of the linear pan and only happens on the lower split.

I try to understand why this change…I guess that is the normal behaviour of the switch, [value when a signal incomes, 0 when no signal] instead of [value when a signal incomes, maintain same value when no signal]

As you mentioned, each output from the switch (linear pan) goes to zero when the other output is active. Ordinarily this doesn’t present a problem since the gate value is also zero. In your patch the gate is not being used to control the note volume so you hear the change in pitch. More commonly the note volume would also be zero so you wouldn’t hear the change.
To get the splitter to behave the way you would like, you would need to save the split outputs in a set of sample and hold nodes because the keyboard node will reuse each voice as needed. It would be fairly simple for a legato (monophonic) split, but a polyphonic split would be more complex.

1 Like

Here’s a keyboard splitter that latches the notes using a sample and hold node. It turned out to be simpler than I first thought. You input the split note as a MIDI note value. (60=middle C). Notes below the split are delivered to the lower output section and notes from the split up are sent to the upper. I’ve included two versions. One takes raw Hz values for pitch and the other uses the 1 per octave (o) standard.
keyboard split.audulus (17.3 KB)

4 Likes

This is amazing!!!

I tried to make the splitter in “pseudo-code” but after see your design…

I’ve been playing a few hours with your keyboard splitter, I’ll post the patch later.

Every day Audulus seems to me more powerful

Thank you so much!

4 Likes

First of all sorry for not posting here for so long.

@stevo3985 your pipe organ patch sounds great :grinning: Thanks for posting this!

@stschoen & @robertsyrett the keyboard splitters are really handy. Do you think there is a way to make the lower split mono? I think this would be better if you want to play a base patch with the lower part of the keyboard and it would also save some cpu.

I have some patches to share too :
Dreamy flux cap. Pad.audulus (430.5 KB)
modweel resonace.audulus (458.0 KB)
ruined bass.audulus (583.5 KB)

I also found this keyboard splitter I made some time ago:
Key Splitter .audulus (946.3 KB)

1 Like