Megathread for keyboard controlled patches

The approach I used normally uses a single instance of the keyboard node. Set to legato it will still split the keyboard but of course you can only play one note at a time. If you use two keyboard nodes and two splitters, with the splitters set to the same split and one keyboard node set to legato and the other set to poly you can take the upper split from the splitter attached to the keyboard node set to poly and the lower split from the splitter attached to the legato keyboard node. (At least I think it’ll work, I suppose I should test it :cowboy_hat_face:)

1 Like

Well it turns out that it almost works. I use the note gate to trigger the S&H node. Since the gate doesn’t drop to zero when the keyboard is in legato mode and two notes are played legato, the note frequency output from the S&H node doesn’t change. Similar problems occur if you exceed the number of poly notes and cause voice-stealing to occur. I guess I never tested it completely in Legato mode. Nice idea but no cigar. I suppose it will need so additional logic to isolate a single low range note. I don’t see any easy fix if the number of voices is exceeded.

Thanks for your quick answers.
I guess it isn’t as easy as I thought :thinking:

It seemed like it would be simple but I guess not. The big issue is that there is currently no way to split a poly signal with a channel count greater than 4. It would probably be possible to implement a split with no more than 4 poly channels since you can split them and process the individual signals but since you would have at least 1 note in the bass you would be limited to a maximum of 3 in the upper split. Handling legato notes would be a challenge. I built a 4 note keyboard latch for an arpeggiator and discovered that it was tricky to get all the timing right. Because of the way polyphony is implemented in Audulus it’s not simple to determine when a new note has been played. You have to monitor each channel for changes to either the note value or gate value since either could indicate a new note.

2 Likes

I realized, I had this little handy pitch bend module lying around in a patch and figured this tread might be a good place for it.

Pitch Bend.audulus (15.2 KB)
You can set the range for the pitch bend and activates/deactivate it via a gate signal.
When the gate is bigger than 0, the pitch bend is applied. As soon as the gate signal is 0 (or lower) it holds the current pitch bend value.
This is pretty useful for playing poly patches (especially with long release times) because you can use the gate from the keyboard node to only apply pitch bend to the notes that are currently pressed.
(this only works with external midi input/controller with a pitch weel)

Here a patch that uses it.
morphing 1pf pad.audulus (292.3 KB)

3 Likes