Es-9 šŸ˜µ

What does this rack look like?

Hello all!

Just wanted to share the little box that I cobbled together so you get an idea of what I did with my ES-9ā€¦ It came in the mail and Iā€™ve been dinking around with it all weekend and am just so thrilled with it. Anyway, I bent a sheet of aluminum from work for the enclosure, added 36hp Pulp Logic rails/end cap (he really does a wonderful job of machine shop-spec manufacturing) screwed some wood panels on the side to keep the guts in (itā€™s not the best thing in the world but the ventilation is good and I think itā€™s pretty, plus it smells nice). I added MIDI jacks on the side and wired them to the es-9 breakout, then added a couple of preamps. The Music Thing Magnetophones are great but I have another Little Mikey on order and itā€™ll fit where they are now. Itā€™s a great little preamp/interface/sound card and Iā€™m just so stoked to mix software and hardware. The sound quality is excellent, Iā€™ve noticed no latency even with round trips (and i set up a doozy of a round trip making a tape echo with actual cassette loop) and it plays really well with everything Iā€™ve thrown at it so far. The balanced outs and headphone jack are the icing on the cake. Very clean. The balanced outs are a tad hotter than Iā€™m used to, but that could be a software thing or it could also just be Pro Line Level. The documentation is a little obtuse and I havenā€™t messed with software configuration yet.

5 Likes

Wow, that looks amazing! This is exactly what I want for myself, love the bent aluminum design and the compact form factor. Good stuff.

4 Likes

Great work! An excellent job.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Sure!
Here you go: Magneto Rack
Itā€™s not quite there yet, Iā€™ve yet to receive the ES-9, and I donā€™t have the mini Marbles nor the distings (these will come laterā€¦)
I didnā€™t realize how central the ES-8 (and soon the 9) would become in my setup, I initially got it for CV control or processing, but put together with an iPad, it makes for a great audio mixer / interface / recorder etc. And it doesnā€™t feel like a computer.

Now I just have to sell the regular size Marble (doesnā€™t fit in the rack anymore :frowning: ) and the ES-6. (if anybodyā€™s interestedā€¦ :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

This looks great!

1 Like

Hey all, another quick update, Iā€™m assuming it is the same with the ES-8, but the guide isnā€™t super specificā€¦ I just put my Digitakt outputs to ES-9 inputs and they have more than sufficient volume in my DAW. I wasnā€™t sure if Iā€™d need to boost or normalize or something, but it plays well with line level sources, too.

2 Likes

Just a quick update here, as I have the ES-9 now.
As expected, it makes so easy the integration between the modular, other electronics instruments, Audulusā€¦
Audio mixing and routing with the ipad is great as well. And as I mostly use Audulus for sequencing and cv control, I can use all the ES-9 outs and also have AUM for mixing audio sources.
Fun times! :hugs:

5 Likes

Can the ES-9 can be used as an ADAT converter? I mean that I just want to use it to expand my audio interface, not have to create an aggregate audio device, which Audulus doesnā€™t support (because some of Appleā€™s code doesnā€™t support it).

EDIT: never mind! those are SPDIF ports not ADAT.

1 Like

Good catch, I actually had not noticed that. I wonder why he changed the design. I wonder if that means you canā€™t chain an ES-8 onto an ES-9.

ADAT and SPDIF are two different protocols. SPDIF can be implemented as an optical connection (Toslink) or as coax (usually RCA) but ADAT canā€™t be connected to SPDIF.

Itā€™s just very odd to make two interfaces with unlabeled optical i/o and have them use incompatible protocol.

SPDIF is a two-channel protocol which was designed for electrical transmission (but can use optical transceivers), and ADAT is an 8-channel protocol intended for optical transmission. ADAT is fundamentally a 48Khz protocol whereas SPDIF is independent of sample rate; the data clock is embedded in the protocol and is recovered by the receiver. So SPDIF could in principle be used to transmit 384Khz audio.

I think more people would want ADAT so they could do what @taylor was planning to do (connect it to some bank of normal preamps without setting up an aggregate device) than stream two channels of audio at 384Khz.

I agree. Maybe the code running the ES-9 is limited to 16 channels for some reason. With the 14 analog inputs and the 2 channels of SPDIF youā€™re at 16. With 8 analog outputs, 2 balanced mains, SPDIF and a headphone youā€™re at 14 channels of output with another 2 reserved for an ES-5. Thatā€™s 16 in and out. Iā€™m currently using SPDIF to connect my UltraNova to my Focusrite and I was using the optical version to output audio from my old Mac. Apple dropped the digital I/O from all its newer models. I guess not many were using it (or probably even knew it was there). It used to be built into the headphone jack.

1 Like

Wow, Iā€™ve been a mac user forever but never knew about this!
Looks like my 2012 Macbook has the optical out, Iā€™ll try this in the ES-9. Thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

I was disappointed that they decided to remove it. I used mine with an external DAC to drive my old audio setup. I run everything through my Focusrite and ES-8 now, so I donā€™t really miss it but it was nice to have a built in digital output.

Hello! Iā€™m new. About to jump in to Audulus as a way of moving my eurorack sequencing into a computer (ipad). I have a question which I hope somebody would be kind enough to help me with: can I run Audulus into an es9 with an es5 expander and utilise 16 channels out of Audulus?

1 Like

I have a feeling that I might have missed something in modifying the existing ES-8 module from the Reface Library. Perhaps @stschoen could weigh in here and let me know. Maybe it could be improved, given that itā€™s such an important aspect of Audulus. If you look inside you can see how easy it is to add ADC nodes (audio to digital converter) and DAC nodes (digital to audio converters).

2 Likes

Excellent, thank you!

Just as an add, in addition to the module, you can use the individual ADC and DAC nodes if theyā€™re more convenient. Audulus supports 16 channels of I/O so you should be fine with your setup. Youā€™ll find quite a lot of information if you search the forum for ES-8. The modified module looks fine to me.

2 Likes