CV Recorder

CV Recorder

The CV Recorder module allows you to loop incoming control signals seamlessly, capturing the performance of a knob so you can quickly set up a gesture and move on to building your patch elsewhere.

Simply attach the output of the module to the desired knob(s) you wish to modulate, and turn the onboard input knob.

You can also attach something like an LFO or envelope to the input knob and the module will automatically loop that as well.

You can set a fixed number of seconds for the loop, or attach an input gate that will synchronize the loop to your composition. You can also switch freely between each mode and retain what has been recorded while mangling your CV by adjusting the time knob.

To reset the module, you can press the reset button, send a gate to the reset input, or simply twist the input knob after the reset input light has gone out, and your new recording will overwrite the old one.

The recorder does not store your performance between patch loads. A planned version in Audulus 4, however, will.

This module is extensively documented - open it up to see how it works!

I/O

Input Signal Range Notes
input-reset 0 or 1 Resets the loop recording. Can be triggered by external gate, button, or automatically when input knob is turned.
input-sync 0 or 1 Attach to a gate signal based off your master clock to sync to music. Must also press button below time knob.

Output Signal Range Notes
output 0 to 1 The looped modulation signal

Controls

Knob Function Notes
knob-input Record Input Turn this to loop modulation signal. You can also attach a modulation signal directly to the knob.
knob-time Max Record Time Active only when light is lit. Sets a fixed number of seconds for loop. Button below switches between knob and Sync input to set the maximum time parameter.

Displays

Meter Displays Notes
display-loop Loop position Red = recording; green = playing.
display-seconds Max record time in seconds 0 to 20 seconds total.

Version History

Revision | File | Date
—|:—:|:—:|—
1.0 | Multichannel CV Recorder.audulus (45.2 KB) | 10/6/2018
1.0 | CV Recorder.audulus (40.0 KB) | 8/20/2018

Demos

Revision File Date Notes
1.0 Multichannel CV Recorder Demo.audulus (444.9 KB) 10/6/2018 A demo of the multichannel version of this module.
1.0 CV Recorder Demo.audulus (412.8 KB) 8/20/2018 A simple self-playing patch with a CV Recorder attached to the cutoff knob of the VCF.
1.0 WCO Continuous XY Pad CV Recorder Demo.audulus (350.5 KB) 8/20/2018 Uses @robertsyrett’s West Cat Oscillator and @mederic’s Continuous XY Pad to create some wild wiggles.
7 Likes

This is IMPRESSIVE, wow. The interface is super clean and easy to understand, too. Great job! :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @stevo3985! Glad you dig. I’m trying out a different visual style for the next few modules I’m doing so we’ll see how that goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow , just wow.

Using the delay to loop performance is really awesome! When you think about it, music and sound are all about delays! You can build filters, reverbs with it, and even performance or wave loops! Delay is like the elementary particle of music.

Looking at your amazing work I had an idea to extend the 20 seconds max time seamlessly (I assume it is a limitation of the Delay node?). All you need to do is to create several instances of the CV Recorder, each set at a 20 seconds loop duration, then you plug a periodic gate in a Demux8, itself routed to each CV Recorder. Then you plug the CV Recorders into a Mux8.

This way, if you start recording at time t, the first CV Recorder will record your performance between t and t+20 and loop it, the second CV Recorder will record between t+20 and t+40 and loop, etc, and they will all loop their recordings in parallel and in sync, but the Demux8 will recreate the right order. So with 8 CV Recorders you could record a 2min40 performance.

2 Likes

Yep! I believe @robertsyrett or @stschoen made something similar once? I just wanted to keep it simple since I figure in most cases 20 seconds is enough. In the future in Audulus 4, you’ll be able to do it with an arbitrary record time without needing to string together delay nodes.

1 Like

Oh ok sorry for the redundancy !

I have to say I really can’t wait for Audulus 4 to be released! Do you have an idea if it might happen in 2018?

1 Like

Oh no big deal! It’s a great insight :slight_smile: Audulus 4 probably won’t come out this year because it’s a total top down redesign with lots of new features and we want to take our time with it. There’s also some features yet to come out for 3 that are still in the works!

1 Like

Ok I understand, and actually it makes me even more impatient to see all these new features.

1 Like

Now that is how you do it!

2 Likes

@biminiroad when you say this year, do you mean the year we are in right now, in which there are currently only about ~2 months left, or are you referring to this year as in this coming year? Either way it goes, I’m hooked, and I’ll be buying Audulus 4 when it comes out in the same config (Mac and iOS for sure, and probably Fedora again, as my traveling companion/side contract admin and coding env needs to be included). I’m just curious if there is a hypothetical or loosely structured timeline in mind?

1 Like

Oh not sure when next year but it’ll definitely be next year at some point! If other people are wondering whether they should buy Audulus 3 now or wait, it’s definitely still worth it to get 3 since we have quite a few months ahead before A4 is done.

Thank you so much for this. I was thinking about how to do this the other day.

1 Like

Okay, just getting to this now. Goal: I am starting to get a nice complex set of voices working together, sequenced. As soon as I had a nice beat going, I wanted to start playing my midi drum. I thought there might be a way to at least record some bars of raw drumming while the sequencing is going on.

So, is there a trig/gate recorder? It would be nice to have a version of CV Recorder that included trigs so that all of the time/sync functions would be under one hood. In that vein, there could also be a Multi-CV Recorder, which adds maybe 3 more CV inputs/outputs.

1 Like

There’s no specific gate recorder, but you could just use another copy of this one to the same effect?

1 Like

There is a low pass filter on the output and I think the change detector won’t work the same with gates as it does with continuous signals. So yes you could but I’m not sure it has the same expected behavior.

2 Likes

Oh forgot about that - I’ll try to make a version that works with gates! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m currently working on a 16 step recording sequencer. It doesn’t use a delay loop, but instead captures the start and end times, velocity and note value for each step as it is input. There are provisions for altering the tempo as well as quantizing the output step times. It captures the note as a raw 32 bit value so it can record 1/octave, Hz, CV or any other raw value. A new step occurs when the gate>0 or note value changes so steps can be separated in time. Output can be sped up, slowed down and looped. There are no time limits other than a max of 16 different values. Should be a great complement to this module. I’m currently debugging it.

3 Likes

I really like this design for what it is. Is it time consuming to add the functionality to record gates?

1 Like

Is there a fader-like object that could be used instead of a knob? Thinking of Ribn app, but with CV instead of midi.

2 Likes

Faders are coming to Audulus 4 :+1:

3 Likes