Build Requests?

I wish there was a subtopic for build ideas/feature requests on existing modules.

• I like the 8 channel mixer in the reface library, especially the mutes. It would be nice if the mutes had a gate input for mix-sequencing.
  • Some sort of master percussion machine. I think the parts are lying around that would aid in generative, genre programmable patterns. By drum genres I am simply meaning the capacity to produce novel drum hits, but each voice would work within the appropriate range and spot in the kit. The idea, to be clear, is just the control aspect of percussion, since are various instruments already available inside and outside of Audulus via the ES-8, for example. Again, not a bank of salsa patterns. A semi-generative drum sequencer/modulator. Just the tool-set to program the different voices that could be hooked up to it.
  • I have noticed that running most of the drum voices in Audulus usually sound better through sinefold (available from the stock library under effects>wavefolders). Should there be a drum specific wavefolder? Would it then ideally include compression? It seems as though there are certain techniques for getting things to pop when doing multi-instrumentation confined inside a single piece of software.
  • Makes me think about elektron’s analog heat. What about Audulus’ Digital Heat? Again, many parts already lying around. Of course it is a multi-setting device, in which one of the settings would be desirable on its own. The distortion unit from the reface library does a nice job for this type of application. I see the Analog Heat as having two important purposes. Processing/enhancement. But, also, gluing. Anyone alse use Xfer record’s OTT compressor? This would be the digital gluing technique I am thinking of.
2 Likes

xD So you you want something that has triggered modulation?

So maybe a 16-step sequencer plus a few envelopes/LFOs that last over those 16 steps?

I have been using an asymetrical distortion that uses a combination of soft clipping and limited wave folding for saturation effects, inspired by the thread on the neon gas distortion.

Ivan Drive Emulation.audulus (9.8 KB)

You might be able to tweak that for some interesting results.

1 Like

I almost feel like this is a large topic… Gate per step out can be useful as well in order to externalize modulation per step. But we should really have elektron’s 4 pages not just the one; ie., 4 x16 steps. Also wonder if the gate buttons could be smaller? Then it might be possible to zoom on a whole page at once for selecting steps. Should be able to do it in such a way that the one 16 step face showing simply cycles through the pages so that the active page is always the one showing through.

I think I would build in the ratching as well, like the reticulated gate sequencer.

• I should say clicks not gates, as the clicks in the current 16 step sequencer from the reface library are obviously more appropriate than gates.
1 Like

Also, I think the Master Clock in the reface library is probably a cornerstone.

1 Like

So right now Audulus struggles with this type of display because you can’t directly change the value of a knob. The best we can do is update a meter node and then turn the knob and press a trigger to update the value. As you can imagine this is somewhat cumbersome to patch.

For now let’s start with a 4-step prototype.

1 Like

Well it isn’t so much the distortion flavour as it is the very idea of the analog heat. Distortion with compression, which gives an over grove and flavour to a mix. Useful also if you are, say, playing 10 tracks out but you want your set to have a cohesive dust sprinkled on it.

1 Like

There are a lot of possibilities here. I was also just thinking of a Korg Gadget/Audulus module that is all set up to recieve MIDI from Gadget’s sequencers. So you could have a ready 808/909 style drum host, but then just link up gadget’s piano roll with Taipei and you would have a multi channel Audulus MIDI drum setup – or whatever.

I have just been hacking away at the Audulus Taipei combo and making some headway but having some sync issues.

2 Likes

I JUST finished this module 2 minutes ago, mind you, before I read that you were looking for a seq that could be used for drums. I think this module I built would be a perfect fit for that which you mention. Hz being good for different analog drum sounds, and the option for the Hz value held in the seq to be transformed to 1/o being good for the oscillators that expect that input. At least I hope it will be useful. I built it for my Volca Audular patch (which needs to be fixed to be better; this was one of the first pieces I was re-doing) so this was sorta built with an additive purpose in mind. Lemme know what you think!

Edit: slight alteration made to the module, as it is not clock driven, the gate input is there for the input of the Hz values, as that is what the S&H is expecting in order to sample the new value. See below example included.
:arrow_heading_down:

1 Like

Yeah I was working with @stschoen on that. He has a midi breakout thing I was going to try and adapt to general midi drum trigger outs. The downside to the workflow is you have to work out your beat on a drum machine gadget then cut and paste it to the midi gadget. The upside is you can use gadget’s generative rhythm generators.

2 Likes

Ok, so here is the fixed one with correct description/explanation in the heading, a demo with all components necessary to use the seq, and an 808 patch I cooked up during a sound design class a few months ago.

Seq and 8-Oh-8 Demo.audulus (186.4 KB)
16 Step S&H Seq v1.1.audulus (73.2 KB)
8-Oh-8 K1ck.audulus (21.4 KB)

4 step drum fill sequencer proto 2.audulus (109.0 KB)

Splines are much wider than I imagined during the sketching phase. Since this uses a rising ramp to sequence the steps, it’s not a big problem to expand this to 8 steps. Also I think I’ll remove the built-in spline, because it’s clear you can use a bunch of those and still need a few more.

3 Likes

I have this sitting on my desk. Looking forward to trying it out.

2 Likes

Here’s a prototype of an 8-step version:

8 step drum fill proto 2.audulus (253.2 KB)

2 Likes

Ochre.audulus (1.0 MB)
Press start on Master Clock to begin. Volume is pretty high.

1 Like

Outstanding! What a clever idea.:cowboy_hat_face: I think keeping the ramps external is a good idea. Makes the design more flexible. It took me a while to figure out how the controls interact.

Here is an example where I have self-patched the Drum Fill Sequencer to modulate the BPM for movement.

FM Drum Versatility.audulus (2.0mb)

FM Drum Versatility 2.audulus (2.0 MB)

1 Like

I was having an issue getting the red dot to travel along the spline. What is the ideal signal that that trigger input needs? 16th notes seem to give me issues. How does it compare to the “automation lane” module?

A node I want to build at some point is an extensible sequencer where each element is a knob and you have somewhere between 4-8 tracks of outputs. And my dream is to have this be a 4x16 grid with an ability to chain multiple together to make a 4x16, 4x32, or 4x64 chain of knobs.

I really want the ability to build a drum sequence where I can control a “craziness” parameter that will adjust how often the various elements fire. The idea being that whenever an element’s value is less than the “craziness” it fires, so that you can have a rhythm that dynamically adjusts from a simple 4/4 beat to one that has crazy off-beats.

2 Likes

Check out this module:

If it isn’t exactly what you are looking for, it definitely has a great template for how to chain sequences.

This is definitely doable with available modules. Mostly I just remember this basic set-up:

Gate Pass Thru.audulus (2.8 KB)