Audulus + Digitakt

I’ve been soliciting advice on the forum about gear and then usually do what I am told. So far everyone has helped and I’ve been satisfied with my decisions. After moving some other gear, the digitakt arrived last night and may just be the best combo with Audulus, but I want to stay away from DAW’s.

I was running the Digitakt synced with Beatmaker 3 on an iPad mini 4. It was fun for a minute, then the cpu got crunchy just adding one AUv3. Also, I have more fun using modules and logic completely within Audulus and then recording straight to AUM — no post, no edits.

Right, but I need a clock sync into Audulus and I need to bring the Digitakt audio back into AUM simultaneously (it would be nice to not bring it out of a DAC, and back into an ADC — can I somehow use the USB connection to just keep it digital). I think I can manage the syncing with tools in Audulus, but I am foggy on how to get the midi seq signals from the Digitakt into the iPad and into Audulus. I think I just need a nudge.

One thing I like about skipping a DAW here is I could conceivably trim the cpu fat I don’t need.

I don’t want to use a laptop, I’d like to be able to head to a cafe with the Digitakt and iPad and just be able to cook tracks.

3 Likes

I set one of the midi tracks (usually track 9) to midi channel 1, set the trig length to 1/32nd note and make a make a 1-bar loop with all steps enabled. Then I just take the gate out of midi channel 1 in Audulus and use it as a clock signal.

4 Likes

I looked into the possibility of outputting digital audio for the Digitakt, and it looks like that functionality is intended to be available for the PC/Mac environment with a future release of Overbridge. At this point the Digitakt is analog audio out only AFAIK.

I didn’t see any mention of iOS but if the Digitakt hardware is capable of outputting digital audio then it is at least a possibility although probably remote.
If you’re using the ES-8 then you could potentially add a MIDI to CV/Gate module to your rack and send MIDI clock from the Digitakt to the converter and then to the ES-8.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/2HPMIDIBK--2hp-midi-eurorack-midi-to-cv-gate-module-black

2 Likes

Yeah, I very much appreciate the direct answer on the digital path. I get very worn out spending all day reading the elektronauts threads — buncha smarmy plunks.

With the ES-8 what I did yesterday was take the midi line out of the digitakt, ran it through mBrane(Yarns) where I can convert the transport and the clock into gates; these then went into the ES-8 where I can then sync Audulus.

A couple of points.

1. I was able to get the digitakt to transport and clock sync to Beatmaker 3 without using the ES-8 but, like I said (A) it seemed to consume the cpu (B) I don’t want to use a daw.

2. I suspect that there is a way to do what @robertsyrett suggested; send the midi over USB into audulus, by just setting up a midi track with a note on the downbeat as we do when syncing Audulus as IAAP with an iOS daw. For some reason I couldn’t get a signal. I bought a dusty floor model so maybe there is some odd setting (happens a lot with elektron gear) that just needs to get flipped. I might try and hard refresh the machine.

3. I am considering a Zoom H6 field recorder/audio interface. Obviously because having a sampler, it would be nice to be able to have a quality recording interface I could carry in my hand; but also because it would give me 6 inputs. The only thing is, I have come to dislike having a lot of gear — I don’t like using the camera connection kit with a USB hub and then needing multiple power sources.

If I could get the Midi clock/transport sync without needing to drag a eurorack along; and if I could find some way to route the audio over USB into AUM — even if it needs to go DAC to ADC redundantly, just being able to work simply with Audulus and the Digitakt would really satisfy me. Less gear! :face_with_raised_eyebrow::pirate_flag:

2 Likes

I have to admit, that I have never tried using the digitakt as an iOS audio interface. I have the Korg plugKEY interface which provides audio out and midi in, so midi flows into the iPad and sounds flows back into the digitakt for sampling. I usually record by some other method such as my Zoom H5 or into my laptop running ableton through an analog input.

1 Like

Elektron might release a firmware update at some point to make the Digitakt and Digitone class compliant USB audio interfaces, they already did it for the Analog Heat.

2 Likes

Ayyyy! Now that’s some good news. It’s already a feature for the Model:Cycles, but obviously the only audio input for that device would be the synthesizer itself. The Digitakt should be able to be used like any other portable i/o.

Oh no. Does this mean I can’t do the midi track clock sync method without having something like the plugkey? Is this a class compliant issue?

Midi over usb works also, but since I have a plug key, that’s what I use with the iPad.

Got it!

It helped to use Midi Wrench to sniff the signal. I wish we could grab that midi clock signal. How come we can’t in Audulus?

1 Like

I just got a Digitakt myself as well as a Modal Skulpt for some DAW-less jamming - plan to make some fun Audulus drum kits for it, will post here when I have them :slight_smile: They’re in transit right now so it’ll be a bit till I actually have started to understand how to use them, but I’m excited for the possibilities.

I’ll be going through the forum and catching up tomorrow as well - it’s been too long! I had 2 closings this year and 1 that’s fallen through a bit, though I’m still looking for a house for her. Things are weird with real estate and Corona, and I’ve been away from music too long, so now that I’m cooped up here, I needed to get back into making music and being back in this community :slight_smile:

7 Likes

One thing that annoys the crap out of me about this machine though is that its called the dig-ih-takt and not the didjee-takt. It’s digital, not dig-ihtal. However, the way they say it comes out smoother, but still.

2 Likes

And BTW this Modal Skulpt is like one of my dream Audulus synths come alive, I can’t wait to share it with people. There are some cool workflow ideas laid out in it as well. The main criticism is that it’s obtuse to program, but from what I’ve seen online doesn’t make it seem all that difficult to grok. I do wish it had a random detune/drift feature however, since you do get that kinda phasey thing with the detune.

2 Likes

Welcome back! You’ve been sorely missed. We were just wondering how you were getting on a couple of days ago. Glad your new career is coming along, even if it’s temporarily on hold. I expect it will take a while to get all of this sorted out once we’re through the immediate situation but I’m sure we’ll eventually all get back to business. Looking forward to hearing more from you in days to come. The Sculpt looks pretty cool from the video

3 Likes

@biminiroad!!! It’s really you this time, and not an idiotic misunderstanding on my part looking at an old thread! It is so great to have you back here with us :smiley:

4 Likes

Had a look at the Skulpt manual. They’ve crammed a lot into that little box. Looks like a robust MIDI implementation and a flexible mod matrix. My UltraNova uses a similar mod matrix and it’s fine once you get the hang of it. Should also make a neat sequencer for Audulus. You should also be able to clock Audulus using the sync output via an ES-8

3 Likes

Edit: skimmed the thread a bit and saw Mark was back, then got super distracted and didn’t read the full thing before replying. I have read it now, but still strongly recommend the CCK model I have posted below. Sorry if that is not what you’re looking for.

@futureaztec Check out the iOS CCK (Camera connector kit) module. I have one for my iPad and it is seriously the best accessory for any music maker with an iPad and hardware. The one from Apple I would recommend is $29, last I saw, and it enables you to use any class compliant USB MIDI device and with my OP-Z, it sees the unit as an external audio interface, so I know it can pass audio signals over USB through the lightning port, and includes a spare lightning jack input for anything that pulls more than the limit of mAh (I think 50 is the max now, but someone else might know better).

I think if the Digitakt is able to send audio to your Mac without any special drivers, it should be fine with your iPad. I would recommend trying this way first before deciding on getting a PlugKey, which is a LOT more expensive. You can purchase from Target online - Lightning CCK here although it looks like it is now $10 more than what I paid for it. Grab one, it comes in really handy for any USB connections, including file share with the Files app, since iPadOS is now a thing. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

My MacBook is injured, so I am happily confined to an iPhone and iPad. There is Overbridge for digitakt, but the connectivity between iOS and Digitakt isn’t what it could be. Just in the sense that it would be a good combo in theory. However, I suspect things will get better there down the road.

Today I actually just ordered a second powered usb to lighting adapter as you have pictured above. Go figure. The issue was that although I can get a hard midi sync, I need to also connect a second iOS device to an es-8 so I can record the audio from the digitakt.

I must say though, to anyone reading this, more wires sucks. I mean I understand the modular vibe but, really, I don’t like playing sound man with USB cables. Also, gain staging is a PITA with modular. I think it’s manageable if you buy a bunch of modules but I have a 54hp, and I want to connect a drum pad, digitakt, USB keyboard, 3 stringed instruments, 2 iOS devices and looking at a midi fighter twister. I don’t like this. Less wires more Audulus is preferred.

For example, the Blooper pedal is cute and all, but really someone needs to just make a stereo midi syncable loop pedal, with layers. I can do it in Audulus but then doing too much in Audulus becomes cramped and tight. Also the cpu is constantly getting in the way. I wish they would just make a damn stereosyncable looper without effects, half the price. I think we should start exploiting some chips.

I have been thinking a lot about all of this. Really, if we could somehow flash various gear with Audulus patches it would change the game. But then I think the damn music world would show up here which I don’t really want.

Maybe it all just needs to evolve as I do in my own self and the challenges are part of the joy — everyone helping everyone else with all the different setups and bits and pieces that make it so unique, warm and fascinating.

2 Likes

It’s just the swedish pronunciation. I think it rolls off the tongue better as well, in an appropriately percussive way.

I have to agree, usb cables and apple dongles are no substitute for well designed patch cords. The apple stuff is fragile and wonky, requiring extra attention to make sure they aren’t being twisted or have and pressure tugging on them.

I think that is one of Taylor’s long term goals. I know I would happily buy such a device.

1 Like

In defense of wires, I know that sometimes they’re a PITA but IMHO the advantages over wireless are pretty substantial. Bluetooth is great for connecting computer keyboards and such but suffers from lag and interference problems at times. WI-Fi has similar challenges. Additionally there is CPU overhead involved with supporting Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. Wires may be inconvenient at times but they’re simple and robust. I would agree that Apple’s cabling products aren’t the most rugged and I use Anker products for all my lightning and micro-USB cables. Mush better reliability. Unfortunately the CCK is more than just a wire. The active electronics inside are proprietary and it’s a crapshoot whether third party devices will even work. I had an aftermarket CCK a while back which worked fine until an iOS update, then never worked again.I also have a little 4 port powered Anker hub that works great with the CCK.

3 Likes