What would you suggest for a cheap (possibly free?) DAW that works with Audulus?

I’ve finally got my MIDI controller all set up, but setting up Soundflower for my Mac to connect Audulus to Garageband didn’t work out well (though part of it is definitely because I’m a total noob, haha). I’m looking for other options, other DAWs that I could record into that are cheap, or, better yet, free. Any suggestions?

As always, thanks!

1 Like

My current method for recording Audulus in a DAW until the AU/VST rework is to physically plug output 3 into input 3 on my audio interface. It’s a nice interface so there is very little noise, but OSX does not make routing inter app audio nice and tidy like on iOS. Long live cables!

I haven’t used these DAWs personally but, Cakewalk recently became free and Reaper has a pretty solid reputation.

Cubasis and Auria on iOS are also pretty good options if you go that route.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks! I’m going to have to give those recs a try. Thanks again!

1 Like

I’ve used Reaper for a few years now and I’m very happy with it. It’s not free, but it’s very reasonable for personal use. It is an extremely powerful DAW and is very flexible, but as a result it has a bit of a learning curve. You can try it out for free and the demo is actually the full version. There is a downloadable user’s manual which is a great place to start, and quite a bit of material on the web as well. I also use Soundflower and SoundFlowerBed and I’ve had pretty good luck with both. What kind of problems did you have with Soundflower?

2 Likes

Well, I was trying to follow the instructions you’d posted about it a little while ago, but I couldn’t quite figure it out; like, I wasn’t able to get any sound out of it. Maybe it’s something stupid that I didn’t notice, like maybe I need headphones or something. I should try it again, since I really don’t have the money to afford anything else at the moment.

Thanks for the input, btw!

1 Like

Yeah, so I tried using soundflower again, and I followed your instructions, but still nothing. I’m not really sure what to do right now. I don’t really need a powerful DAW, just something that works with Audulus. Does anybody know if something like Audacity has support for Audulus?

Not really sure what to tell you. I tested Audulus using Soundflower again with GB and it worked. Note that you won’t get any sound out of the Mac while soundflower is active unless you are also running soundflowerbed. Once soundflower is selected as the system input and system output it captures the audio from any application outputting to system out (like Audulus) and re-routes it to system in. Take an Audulus patch you know is making sound, select soundflower as the system input and output, then in Garageband create a new project using the “mic”. Make sure that soundflower is selected as the input source in GarageBand. You should see the meters on the “mic” track moving. If they are, then it is working, if not, you must have had some problem with installation. You might check System Preferences/Security & Privacy and make sure you don’t have a message that a system extension was blocked from installing. If you do, allow it and re-install Soundflower.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ll give it another go. Is there a link for soundflowergarden, by the way? I was looking around on google, but didn’t see anything.

Thank you!

1 Like

Whoops, nevermind, found a link.

1 Like

Oops. soundflowerbed not garden https://github.com/mLupine/SoundflowerBed/releases Soundflowerebed shows up in your system menu (upper right) when you run it. Click it and you can select an actual hardware device to output sound to while soundflower is active. It takes a feed from soundflower and sends it to your output hardware.

2 Likes

I realize that you are new to audio production but I thought I would mention this anyway in case someone else reads this thread or you want to futureproof your interest.

I just noticed that they are shipping an 8-track version of Bitwig Studio with the ES-8 in case anyone wants to jump into modular at the same time.

es8

3 Likes

Okay, so I downloaded soundflowerbed. I think the problem is, to quote your post on connecting Audulus and Garageband, “redirect [Audulus’s] output to GarageBand.” I’m not quite sure how exactly to do that, but I think that that’s the issue on my end.

1 Like

Soundflower does the redirecting for you. Audulus always send audio out to the system output device. When soundflower is the system input and output device, the output of Audulus will automatically be sent to soundflower. Soundflower takes that audio stream and then redirects it to the system input. Garageband will take the audio from the system input device when you have it set for the microphone and have soundflower selected as the input. You don’t need to do anything in Audulus. If you can hear sound from your patch before you switch to soundflower, you’re all set.

2 Likes

Hm. Okay. Well, I did it all, and it still doesn’t work. Guess it’s on me ¯_(ツ)_/¯ seriously, though, thank you so much for your help; I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. I’m going to try out Reaper, see how that works.

1 Like

I’m sorry you”re having such trouble. It’s probably something simple we’re overlooking. Good luck with Reaper, it’s my primary DAW

2 Likes

Thanks! So…another question (I’m just full of these, huh?): I’m using Reaper, and I’ve managed to get my patch plugged into the program, but for some reason none of the MIDI knobs I have programmed to work in the patch actually work. I’m not sure why…any idea?

1 Like

Unfortunately the only MIDI input that works in the plug-in at the moment is the keyboard node. (and maybe the pitch bend). Mapped knobs and triggers are only available in the standalone version. I believe this will be corrected in the next update to the plug-in.

2 Likes

Correct!

1 Like

Okay, cool! Thank you! Sorry I didn’t get back quicker, haha.

2 Likes