Waveform Node Not Working

Hi! I downloaded Audulus recently and have been unable to get the waveform node to work. I’ve tried various input configurations, reinstalling it, and running it as standalone and a VST to no avail. The only thing I get is a few occasional scrolling dots, but nothing consistent. Is there something I’m missing about getting the waverform node to work or is there something I can do to get it to work.
(I’m using Windows 10 and Ableton Live 9 Suite if that makes any difference).
Thank you!~

1 Like

The waveform node is designed to display LFO frequency waveforms. Try setting the oscillator node to 0.5 Hz with an envelope level of 1 and see if you get a display. Audio frequency data often looks like a horizontal line at the top and bottom of the window.

1 Like

So, I followed your directions, and all I got are these like weird segments of the waveform for a little bit only when I resize the window. It seems like the signal is getting there, just not displaying it.

1 Like

Weird, should look like this:

Same display in the VST and stand-alone?

1 Like

Yup. I’ve tried it in both standalone and VST and I get the same result for each. I’ve had it work once in stand-alone, but when I opened it as a VST it didn’t work, and when I reopened it the standalone version it was back to being all glitchy.

1 Like

I guess we’ll have to let the gurus at Audulus take a look. You might try rebooting and running it standalone to see if the VST is screwing up the graphics somehow.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your help! It’s much appreciated!
Also, I did a full reboot, and it ran fine in standalone. When I opened it again as a VST it proceeded to not work. Then while my DAW was running without the VST version open in it I ran the standalone version getting the same result. After shutting down my DAW completely and opening it up in standalone version again it worked fine. So it appears that the VST is screwing up the graphics.
Again, thank you for the help!

2 Likes

VST is on life support, doctors are performing surgery.

2 Likes

As Robert said, the VST is in definite need of an update, as is the Windows standalone version. Both are in the works. No timeframe at this point, but hopefully soon. Audulus has limited coding resources, and a lot of items on the to-do list, so your patience is appreciated. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

It’s good to know it’s not something horribly wrong with my computer!
I look forward to those updates! The good news is, it still runs totally fine beyond the waveform node.
It’s been an absolute joy working with it so far, so I’m more than happy to be patient!

2 Likes

Hi !
Completly new in Audulus (but not in modular synths at all), I just wanted to say that I’ve got exactly the same issue with the waveform = I just get some little points going across the display, sometimes.

That’s annoying cause waveform is the best way for me to visualize the signal and adjust it as I wish.

I hope it’s going to be fixed in next update.

Is this only on the plugin, or also in the standalone?

On the 2.

1 Like

What does that mean?

This is good to know – and I wish I had thought to search in the forum earlier.

@biminiroad: it would be great if the documentation mentioned that the waveform node is intended for low frequency waveforms. The docs give the impression that it is like an oscilloscope and useful for audio frequency signals.

1 Like

Did waveform used to work for audio rate signals? I’ve been digging into the guts of 0-Toast and other projects to understand how they work and have encountered a number of waveform nodes attached to audio oscillators.

Just curious whether it used to behave differently or if those nodes were being used to look at waveforms when the Hz was cranked way down.

1 Like

AFAIK, the waveform node has always worked this way. I came up with a hack a while back that lets you use it at higher frequencies by sampling the wave periodically. It only works if the waveform is fairly static. There are 2 models, one takes a 1 per octave or Hz input to control the sample rate, the other uses a zero-crossing detector to set the horizontal frequency.
Scope Demo.audulus (42.0 KB)
I believe that there will be an audio rate scope in A4.

2 Likes

Those waveforms are for diagnostic purposes. If you input a -10 into the 1/Oct input most oscillators in Audulus run at LFO rates and you can verify things are working as intended.

I also use an oscilloscope. If you have a Mac, I recommend Oscilloppoi in the app store.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info.

1 Like