Tutorial Requests

I see a lot of ADSR’s and I tend to grab the basic one. One of the results that I would like to achieve is to have more control over how a note trails off – obviously some kind of curve.

Variable Curve ADSR, A-D-S-R Natural Decay, and Adjustable ADSR are three interesting modules. One of the things I would like to do is get a handle on all of the modules so that I know them inside and out and can maximize their potential. As a newcomer to Audulus, I do not know what has already been discussed. But I really believe this software is going to take off in the next while, so there will be many users showing up mid conversation, so to speak.

Can we talk about ADSR’s? Maybe a little video?

2 Likes

As it turns out, I happen to be working on an Audulus version of Hordijk’s Dual Envelope – but it’s taking some time to figure it all out.

@SansNom’s Exponential ADSR thread on the old forum is definitely worth checking out (some parts of it are unfortunately missing though): http://forum-old.audulus.com/discussion/1529/the-quest-for-the-red-curve-adsr/p1

@stschoen’s Chain-able Variable Curve Envelope Generator provides a nice set of building blocks that make it possible to get into quite a lot of detail: http://forum-old.audulus.com/discussion/15701

@RobertSyrett put some nice envelope blocks together as part of his 1-Toast Fun Pack.
Perhaps he even has a video up his sleeve at some point.

3 Likes

Very interesting threads, quite a bit of it over my head, which is still useful for getting a sense of the conversation and picking up some terms that will make sense later – cf. “inverted exponential behaviour.” From reading “The Quest For the Red Curve,” it looks like I picked one of the better envelopes for my purposes which is good to know.

Btw all of the stuff here on Hordijk’s work has been fantastic. It’s good to really dig down into this stuff; I am looking forward to what you find out.

1 Like

You might want to check out my Note Beat patch which uses envelopes as a live control to get another take on how envelopes can be used.

1 Like

This is a great question!

The naming convention of the envelopes included in the library are as follows:

A-R is an attack-release envelope with a separate control for attack and release.
AR is an attack-release envelope with a single control for attack and release.

BEOC stands for Beginning and End of Cycle, meaning the envelope outputs a pulse at the beginning and end of each A-D-S-R period. This is useful for creating more complex envelope shapes. You can use the end of the decay period to trigger another envelope that does something during the sustain period.

Natural Decay uses an octave input to track with pitch to emulate the way higher pitched sounds decay more quickly than lower pitched ones. Imagine a piano - the low notes will resonate for much longer than the high notes will. This can add a subtle difference to your synth making it sound a little more organic and less static.

Adjustable A-D-S-R has a control that adjusts the A-D-R (time-based) periods simultaneously. This allows you to completely change the sound of an envelope quickly while maintaining the ratios between the A-D-R periods. It’s really awesome to modulate this control with a F-AM Sine LFO.

1 Like