Spooky Tunes and Patches

With Halloween just around the corner, I was wondering if we could get a spooky thread going.

I really liked the stuff people made last year and thought we could give it another go.

Original Audulus patches and tracks made with Audulus are mostly what I’m thinking of but if something is so good you just have to share it, I’m all ears.

1 Like

Alright, I’ve been working on this for a while now. Not exactly spooky, but I’ve set it to a minor key… OoOoO

This is a song that plays itself. My original version switched between two chords. This version determines the probability of the next chord based off of a “probability engine” that I tuned based off of my research on popular music. You can select the key and mode - major/minor, mixolydian, etc…

That feeds into an arpeggiator that reads the Hz from the chord generator that sorts the notes and plays them in ascending or descending order.

I made this module as a songwriting tool to help generate chord progressions that I haven’t thought about yet. It’s yielded some good results. Anyway, enjoy!

Full Moon II.audulus (883.4 KB)

5 Likes

Wow, that definitely has a John Carpenter Vibe! I love it. I am also adding Solar Transit and Launch Code to my personal library. 10/10 spooks!

Murdered Upon The Ring of Saturn.audulus (747.7 KB)
Murdered Upon The Ring of Saturn Lite CPU.audulus (709.2 KB)

Alright, here is my contribution. I might have been watching too many space movies because my inspiration was space madness. This is an abstract soundscape of space traveler driven by paranoia to insane acts. Are those insects invading the food supply or is it all in his imagination? Bwahahahahaha

I’ve uploaded two versions as I noticed that the resonant high-pass filter was roughly doubling the CPU load.

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:

2 Likes

Love your chord and arpeggiator modules! Great tune :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks guys! I hope you find those modules useful. Perhaps someone can help me condense the UIs to something more friendly.

I’ve downloaded yours, Robert. I’ll check it out this evening.

1 Like

Hey so I see some nice modules in there no? The patch sounds really good btw.

49%20PM 12%20PM

It would be nice to get some info on these.

2 Likes

Thanks! All those patches are my own. The new ones being Solar Transit and Launch Code. I’ll give a little detail here if that’s alright.

Solar Transit:

A probability chord generator based on popular music. I made this to help get myself out of ruts in my own songwriting and learn some interesting progressions. The input accepts a clock and outputs Hz on 4 channels. (It also outputs the root note). You can generate chords in any key and any mode.

Launch Code:

My attempt at an arpeggiator. Input a 4 channel Hz signal and it will output a mono Hz signal. I can’t remember if it will sort the notes from highest to lowest and play them in order or if it will play them in the order they were played. Either way the “Rev” button will reverse the order.

Gravity:

A compressor I built. There are newer versions that I’ve made that work better. I’ll have to upload those soon.

Course Correct:

I forget exactly what i did here, but it’s a network of delays that alter the left and right signal to give a hybrid chorus/reverb.

Let me know if you’ve got any questions. I hope you get some use out of these!

4 Likes

Please excuse me but how does that work?

1 Like

@SteveX is a long-time Audulus builder and I think his personal library preceeds the 1/oct convention the current factory modules use for pitch. If you want to use the Solar Transit or Launch Code modules all you have to do it use the typical log2(hz/440) expression. Just make sure to clamp the hz signal to prevent white cords.

53%20PM

1 Like

Ha, I apologize. I had no idea there was a convention switch. I just like being able to plug my module directly into an oscillator. I’m not one to update when I’m happily on a stable build. I’m not sure which version I have.

There are modules in the library that convert Hz to Octave, like the one @robertsyrett showed.

I also am not current on the Audulus terms. Coming from Max/MSP, I’d call a clock signal a bang. I like Audulus because there is only one signal to deal with, but it can get confusing in describing what you’re using that signal for. Clock is just an on/off signal used to drive the counter and note on/off in Solar Transit.

2 Likes

That’d be sweet if you could get the new Gravity up. I use it all the time. And for the good of all humankind as well I guess.

2 Likes

-> „murdered upon…Saturn“:
I‘m totally new in audulus. A bit frustrated. But patches like this makes me smile and looking forward…

2 Likes

I can definitely do that, hopefully in the next few days. What are you mainly using it for? Perhaps I can fine tune it for you.

3 Likes

Ducking the bass for the kick usually. It’s the sidechain feature that I use the most.

2 Likes

Merry Christmas!

I modded Gravity into a small unit just for side chain pumping. It reads the BPM and sets the release time to be in time. The release button changes the release from quarter notes to half notes etc…

Not perfect, but I think it’s pretty cool. Let me know what you think!

Moon Walk by SteveX.audulus (42.7 KB)

4 Likes

:open_mouth:

Dude, give this module it’s own thread. It’s definitely a nice Christmas present to the forum.

Thank You!

3 Likes

Ha, I can do that! It’s not exactly spooky.

2 Likes

Nice timing. lol

1 Like

Just downloaded it. Looks pretty sweet so far! Stereo! Legendary. Thanks for the update! Will try it out more tonight.

2 Likes