Purpose built iOS rack

Hello,

Looking to build a small rack specifically for interacting with iPad. My primary use would be sending signals from electromagnetic mics (Lom Elektrosluch) through the rack, into audulus, and then Cubasis.

I’ve tossed together a couple ideas on modular grid, but since I have no experience with modular I feel like I might be missing something, or being unnecessarily redundant. I’ve blocked it out into 3 sections. Input, modulation, and interface.

4 Likes

Looks like a lot of fun. What inspired this concept?

1 Like

Well, it’s kind of a long story. Back in my younger days I was an electronic signals analyst for the USAF. Basically studying radar, jammers, etc. so I have a good grasp of the em spectrum and signal flow. Parallel to that I’ve always been a musician. Not too long ago I discovered the Lom Elektrosluch, which is a nifty gadget to hear electromagnetic noise. I got a couple and went searching for sounds and came across several sources that are rhythmic and usable for music! So I started recording and writing music as a proof of concept. That was Borgasm!

Now I’m looking for ways to expand on this concept to create more sounds based on EM noise.

2 Likes

That sounds utterly unique. What are some of the ways you are planning to use Audulus?

1 Like

I want to make an envelope follower for bass sounds, experiment with clocks and sidechaining, and other weird stuff.

2 Likes

In order to be more helpful in giving advice, it would be great if you can give us some example patches.

Do you know about the patch function on Modular Grid?

15%20AM\

This would give us a clearer idea as to the proposed signal flow.

The thing that jumps out to me most is the compressor. I take it you’re using it to tame loud clicking noises and bring them more in line with some background hiss?

Such an advanced compressor as that one is more useful in a small system if you have more traditionally musical elements running through it. If you just want to tame transients, you can create compressors in Audulus and free up space in your rack for other things.

Since you’re interested in going to the all out hybrid system, you want to really ask yourself what is most useful to have as a hardware module and what you can build in Audulus.

Pulsar is a cool modulation source, but you can build it or something similar to it in Audulus.

DATA is an amazing module with lots of cool functions, but if you just want a scope, we’ll have one soon enough in Audulus 4 that will have similar functions.

I’m also not sure what you’d be using the FH-1 for. You can only have the ES-8 or the FH-1 attached to the iPad, and you have seemingly enough outputs from the ES-8 alone to do most of the modulation you’d want to in your system.

If you’re really into noise harvesting, I would suggest making your rig into the sound interface. Check out some Folktek modules like the Resonant Garden.

garden1_jpg_442x520_upscale_q90

There’s even a module that uses dirt to make noise.

dirtmodule-640x426

My gut is telling me you’d be happier using these analog interfaces for noise making and then modifying them in Audulus.

3 Likes

The compressor is definitely there for other uses as well. I want to try running guitar and bass through audulus.

I was thinking about clock building in audulus and had already taken out the pulsar in the rack hehe.

As for the data, it’s definitely there for more than just analysis, but the scope will likely be the most used feature. I also put it in there as a sig gen and filter.

You make awesome points and I definitely want some of the other oddities you posted. I remembered reading about the dirt module, but couldn’t remember where to find it!

1 Like

Can you recommend any other “noise harvesting” modules? I already have a diy springboard with contact mics.

1 Like

Here are some good starting places on ModularGrid

Expression

Noise

Random

Also this - Koma Field Kit

1 Like

I bet you’d also love this company.

Landscape makes a lot of great noise-making stuff.

This one is the wildest - Stereo Field.

Stereo-Field

Here’s a video of it in action.

The Allflesh “patch cables” are great too

They can turn any input into a rhythmic physical interface.

allflesh

2 Likes

Instead of the Geiger Counter, you could get an FX send/return module and use the new Geiger Counter Pro pedal. It’s got two CV inputs that are assignable to any parameter, a dry/wet blend, its own dedicated filter at the end of the signal, and the ability to morph between the selected wavetable instead of hard-switching (also CV/expression assignable). I’m a huge fan of Folktek so I also second that notion.

Bastl instruments has a whole line of modules to control servos, DC motors, solenoids, and the like.
There also a eurorack module out there that takes biodata from plants to convert into MIDI data for music making. I don’t remember the name of the module, but there’s also a device called MIDI Sprout that does the same thing.

1 Like

Slow your roll there! I actually tried to model this when it came out, I came to the conclusion that a large part of the user experience for this module was switching the patch in real time with the rotary encoder. And rotary encoders are not something Audulus can do well at the moment. So while the elements of Pulsar can be easily constructed, the performative component would likely be absent. Although it sounds like @Esgal has already elected against it.

Also, DATA is lab-grade equipment. If you want to calibrate anything, DATA does the job. It is what I am using these days to calibrate analog oscillators and the scaling on inputs into and out of the ES-8.

So, Bastl is my new favorite company! Specifically the motor modules. Essentially, I can tear out the power supply of a given device and have it controlled by cv! This would be amazing for Borgasm!

As for the Geiger counter pedal, I’m going rack based to limit the clutter scattered about the table.

1 Like

Might be a good feature request - support for rotary encoders for Audulus 4 MIDI! :slight_smile:

Yeah I was just thinking for such a small rack it might not be the first thing you want to buy if the goal is to be making noise.

That said, I know @esgal mentioned being a radar tech, so a piece of gear like DATA would probably make him feel right at home :slight_smile:

The best way to create something, is to know all about each part :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is why I should study gluons and quarks more. Once you can build with those you can create literally anything!

1 Like

Based on some recommendations and a lot of research, I’ve put together a couple racks. A bare bones rack I want to get started in collecting noises, a bio-mechanical interfacing rack to manipulate devices while recording them, and a full on laboratory rack (not pictured).

This is a handful of modules aimed at collecting sound from various sources. Ears for connecting my EM mics and for the contact mic, RF Nomad for collecting short wave radio signals, and the ADDAC Bluetooth module for receiving whatever audio files people want to send in any situation. That should give me a pretty broad range of options. Then, of course, the ES-8 and Data.

This one is going to be linked directly into my sci-fi projects. In short, I want to use biofeedback to control the Bastl DC motor modules, which will be connected to various motorized goodies, which I will then record with my EM mics. I can start playing a scene (music and devices at baseline setting) and then as their experience changes and adapt to the scenario, the sensors will pick up biometric changes which will then impact the motors and then the sound! A musical bio-feedback loop! It still needs some tweaking for optimal signal flow before the iPad, but this is an exciting thing for me.

4 Likes

I can’t believe I forgot to recommend RF Nomad! The guy who runs the company is stellar, I met him at Knobcon a while back. His build quality is very good.

The Brainterface is awesome too. I bet you’ll really love this rack! Make sure to report back to us and show us your progress in pics and videos :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahhh glad you found the Scion module when I couldn’t think of the name. I’ve been meaning to look into the RF Nomad further, seems very interesting. Loving the direction you’re taking your modular and can’t wait to see some examples of your work!

2 Likes

Oooooh good tip! Definitely looking into these.

1 Like