Pittsburg Modular Folds Squarewaves

I was trying to get the time stamp link in the first box. Not working on my end so I added a link to the full show.

At about 27:00 Richard Nicol mentions the warp circuit
Also,

3 Likes

Cool looking semi-modular

1 Like

Yeah, I had a bout of GAS for it when it came out because it looks like a little workstation all on its own.

The takeaway I got from it was that it would have been better with an onboard quantizer, and there is no wiggle room for an extra module. It’s worth mentioning that Makenoise do leave a little room in their pre configured systems to add one module, which I always thought was wise on their part.

My take on the warp circuit is that it’s a pitch-tracking all-pass filter that changes the waveform but preserves the harmonics:

48%20AM

Square Wave for Wavefolder.audulus (29.8 KB)

2 Likes

Seems to be nice when you go with long decay and some reverb…
folding squares.audulus (256.1 KB)

I also thought it might be smart to apply some delayed enveloping. This is some of the best reverb I have heard from Audulus. Must be the way harmonics are present in large spaces. Seems to me that there is a possible reverb module here. That is, maybe some of the expensive digital reverb algorithms are utilizing (among other things) harmonic content in this way.
folding squares w gate delay.audulus (362.8 KB)

3 Likes

Reminds me of farfisa organ off an old recording with that patch.

1 Like

At some point I think it would be worth breaking this out into tidy modules. Since Audulus 4 will be backwards compatible, adding this capability (folding squares) seems worth it.

Sounds pretty westcoasty to me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It will be but I think old modules will need to be redesigned to be visually balanced.

Like a little synth voice themed around folding squares with allpass filters?

2 Likes

Okay. First of all, the special folding matters. I don’t think it needs to be a voice. “squarewave folder,” is provocative. But, then, I just feel like people are doing alot with reverb. So I thought, what if there was a way to generate/manipulate/collect harmonic content in a reverb module. I feel like maybe that might be a main factor in what makes some peoples digital reverbs so good. They may be detecting and treating harmonics in novel ways – stretching the spectrums but tightening and reducing ugly spots on the knobs. Does that make sense?

In the first case I think you could package up the squarewavefolder as a module in 2 minutes.

In the second instance, it is an inroad into exploring more mature reverb techniques. I could be out to lunch though. But I think I am hearing progress.

1 Like

Well clouds kind of does that I suppose. We don’t exactly have the tools to do granular with the same ease as clouds though.

I generally have been enjoying inserting all pass filters into delay feedback and modulating them with LFOs to create spectral wiggliness.

1 Like

The whole thing brings back to mind another feature I can’t stop thinking about. This would be the ability to have a patch loaded, but then have certain sections not present in RAM. Then when a dial/switch is turned, you can activate certain parts of a patch and deactivate other parts in the RAM.

This would allow for a reverb module with an algorithm knob, for example. The natural next thought would be, what is the delay time for activating/deactivating; is it disruptive to computation/clocking/etc.

2 Likes

I think, for me, I like working at both levels. I like breaking things out. But I also like locking things in when I discover something, because I want to work fast at particular altitudes. 4-8 hours on a track is good. multiple days is a problem for me.

So having a pallete of tools, finished module techniques is huge. Also, promotionally, IMO, there has been sonic progress lately and I want to keep pushing that.

Sorry if it sounds foggy, its hard to communicate.

2 Likes

I think I can clarify. So the idea is to have a “harmonic stage” in a reverb module, with a breakout control on the face. The breakout would allow the user to select between harmonic content generating techniques. One would be the squarewave folding. Since the source of the content for the reverb module will determine the best technique for generating harmonic content, having various tools at a particular stage should make it possible to dial in more convincing parameters.

If this is correct I think it nudges us closer to the DSP reverb heavy hitters. You know, it may be that there isn’t some hard math going on. It might just be getting things hooked up in the right order, so to speak (logical).

1 Like

Singing Squares.audulus (367.0 KB)

1 Like

I made a mistake. I did not hook up @robertsyrett’s folding technique right. He was displaying a dry square and 2 types of folding. So here is the more extreme style of folding.
Singing Squares Fixed.audulus (331.1 KB)

Singing Squares Low End.audulus (330.9 KB)

Wrong again…I missed the frequency cross fade, which was the key that made the Audulus simulation of the warp circuit admissible.
Singing Squares Low End Fixed!.audulus (336.7 KB)

1 Like

The Day They Folded Squarewaves.audulus (1.2 MB)

1 Like