Overhead Vibes: The Turing Test

I tried to make a video tutorial of using the Turing Machine with the Octatrack to make a Jam for Jamuary, but I just ended up recording me and my friend screwing around. Please enjoy the first and perhaps only installation of Overhead Vibes.

6 Likes

Was excited to see a new video by you featuring modular when I woke up today and even more excited about the content. Watching now! :+1:

2 Likes

“A vactrol consists of two components incorporated into one package: a light-emitting diode (LED), and a photoresistor (a resistor whose resistance drops when it is exposed to light). Applying a voltage to the LED causes current to pass through it and light to be emitted, which falls on the photoresistor.”

A vactrol is just a good way to control the smooth change in value. The main reason I think they are used for various applications in synths is their non-linear curve responses. Different vactrols are used for different curves, etc.

3 Likes

Some ignorance may have been feigned in the service of humor, but for anyone wondering @RileyGuy is completely accurate in how vactrols are used :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Enjoyed this. Fun with the graphics. I’d definitely be up for more.

2 Likes

Thanks! The visual fx are probably the most labor-intensive part but the most fun.

1 Like

Loved the jam, the spiel, and the pics! :cowboy_hat_face:Nice work.

2 Likes

I definitely couldn’t have made the video without the uTuring to illustrate the principle.

2 Likes

This just helped me realize that I can use my mBrane (Yarns) to take midi from my Digitakt and then control the modular. I feel less vulnerable in giving up the Analog Four with its cv outs. I will need to spend time working with yarns more tightly. I like that both it and the Digitakt have save capabilities. I knew I could do it but somehow this just reinforced that workflow when you mentioned it.

It also made me wonder if I could use Blooper as a cheaper compact easy to use octatrack…:thinking:

1 Like

That actually would be the Digitakt :crazy_face: