Opening a Discussion on Reverb

I looked for a few minutes to try to see where to post this – I can’t put it under “effect” modules, because I am not posting a module.

Anyhow…I noticed there are only two reverb modules in the library. When working with them found that I couldn’t quite dial in what I was looking for and had to go outside of Audulus for certain reverb effects. This is fine; however, when working on with a rack type module I was wanting to insert reverb not at the end, but earlier in the chain. Then I found I was wanting something else: a mixer module that could work like a send effect in a console. This way I could route reverb to a, say 8>2 mixer, but apply reverb (or whatever effect) in a specific amount, to particular signals going in to the mixer. This would reduced having to run 3 or 4 of the same effect, but also allow more control over wet/dry values.

But I want to say, I am not writing this to build anything yet. The thing is I was on the Audiobus forum and I saw a video on reverb and I thought it was very well done and started to open up my thinking a bit. At some point it would be fun to work on some reverb. I tried to look under the hood of the stock Audulus reverb but it is just based off of a node…and the spring reverb looks like it is delays.

Here is the video:

1 Like

I recategorized it under Building Help, where all general discussions about building modules live. You actually reminded me I need to set the individual News categories to admin only since these aren’t supposed to be user categories to post in.

@stschoen has created a reverb module that isn’t in the library yet. He and @robertsyrett I think have created some nice ones and maybe have something to add to the conversation.

All reverbs are made up of delays. They just use delays differently. That spring reverb is just something I stumbled across while patching - not sure, but it might actually be a novel way of synthesizing spring reverb.

I know other users who have studied reverb can chime in more on this topic, but basically reverb is like a near infinite number of delay lines that are all tuned to different delay times and arrive back at the listener, cancelling out frequencies and boosting others along the way.

Figuring out novel and CPU-efficient ways of doing this is the trick!

But re: that video - it would be awesome for someone to come up with a gated reverb module!

@futureaztec try out these reverb modules, they are my personal favs.

reverbs.audulus (163.6 KB)

1 Like

When I clicked the file I just got code. So I tried to share it then save to files>audulus and it became an inaccessibletext file. I am on iOS.

This Is my first try at d/ling a file from the new forum.

1 Like

what the!? you are absolutely right!?
reverbs.audulus (163.6 KB)

I wonder why the extension isn’t reading properly?

1 Like

This is happening for some people on some browsers in iOS. You can try a different browser? I will figure out a permanent solution for it first, but you can also just download the patch at your computer and email it to yourself for the time being.

I’ve tried both Safari and Chrome on iOS and have the same problem. .audulus files display as text.

1 Like

In Safari it’s possible to copy the text in the window, paste it into a text editor, change the name of the file to PatchName.audulus, and save the patch to a location where it can be accessed by Audulus 3 via the Files app.

2 Likes

As an emergency measure, can we include these reverbs with the next library update?

1 Like

Yeah no problem!

This interesting paper was posted in another thread.

Also, @stschoen and I had a pretty good thread in the old forum that could be of some help.

http://forum-old.audulus.com/discussion/1975/can-we-talk-about-reverb

There was also a vintage paper that had some diagrams that @stschoen fashioned into a very usable and quirky reverb.

http://charlesames.net/pdf/MRSchroeder/artificial-reverb.pdf

1 Like

I have been mining the Vallhala DSP blog for tight little articles that are helping me understand how deep and nuanced reverb designs are:

https://valhalladsp.com/blog/

I now see that others were doing the same thing on the old forum. :grin:

1 Like

Sometimes I get several hyperlinks deep when I am reading something and I find a cornerstone concept. The vintage paper above got me looking into DWG Synthesis
because I wanted to know more about comb filters.

Finally, this little old site has some good stuff:

http://freeverb3vst.osdn.jp/tips/reverb.shtml

The reverb discussion on the old forum kind of drops off but I definitely got some insights after reading some academic papers and then reading about the various follies implementing the ideas in Audulus.

1 Like

Here’s a reverb patch. It’s hard on the CPU, not very innovative but I think that when you plug a guitar in the tails are pretty smooth.Stacking Reverb.audulus (569.9 KB)

1 Like

I found this Chass Bliss mini doc to be pretty awesome on multiple levels. Apropos because it is DSP based.

Saw this video as well which gives a better detailed description.

You really don’t often get explanations this in depth. Peddle patches.

2 Likes

Much love for Chase Bliss. All of their pedal designs make me drool. I’m super excited that they’re working on a Looper currently.

3 Likes

MylarMelodies took the trouble to remaster the audio for this wonderful talk by Tom Erbe. Lots of reverb goodies in there.

2 Likes

Good find! I think these should be buildable in A3. Probably it will be a resource hog but fun to find out.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

1 Like

Interesting talk. Here’s Tom’s paper on the Erbe-Verb FYI.
Erbe-Verb.pdf (2.2 MB)

3 Likes