Norns: from the makers of Monome

I want this but for Audulus! :cry:

1 Like

51%20PM

It can be a rob? Thatā€™s me!

Seriously though, you could easily make a patch like the guy in the video with delay nodes. Obviously it will get easier with the sample node, but I still prefe the ipad running Audulus to an ES-8 over Norns.

1 Like

Yeah, thereā€™s just something about ā€œAudulus in a self-contained boxā€ that I would love to see happen.

This looks interesting, sits somewhere between an Organelle and Kyma. It uses Super Collider for DSP and lua to patch things togetherā€¦ If Audulus could run on ARM processors maybe something like this could be hacked togetherā€¦ Isnā€™t Organelle simply a linux box running Pure Data?

2 Likes

Yep, I considered getting one over christmas but opted for an octatrack instead. I did this mostly because patching in pd was not as straightforward as Audulus. I canā€™t imagine how I would get on with supercollider, given that Iā€™m not a computer engineer.

2 Likes

Nice! I got an Octatrack too, I have it paired with an Analog4ā€¦ How are you finding it?
Iā€™m tempted to give Supercollider a shot, I know lua quite well now so this Norns thing has me intrigued

2 Likes

An iPad is pretty self contained. Seriously I suppose you could build something without a display but you would still need a way to load a patch and interact with it(MIDI perhaps) plus audio IO. It might be hard to produce cheaper than an iPad. It might cool if there was a way to offload the actual audio engine to an external unit and use the iPad for a UI only.

1 Like

I was thinking of doing this with my iPhone whenever I get a new oneā€¦I will probably just freeze it and have a synth that I make that I love and can just keep running on there and noodle with. Wish I had enough money to have a space ES-8 and I could take the faceplate off it and drill holes in an enclosure and just turn it into a patchbay for the synth!

1 Like

I keep forgetting about the iPhone. Not very cost effective but If youā€™ve got a spare one it certainly makes a compact Audulus unit. Add an iTrack or another interface and youā€™ve got a complete package.

1 Like