New ES-8 Tutorials Coming Soon

Just wanted to let everyone know that I’ll be making a full series on how to best use your Expert Sleepers ES-8 with Audulus.

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es8.html

If you don’t know what an ES-8 is, it’s basically a way to communicate between Audulus and hardware synthesizers using CV (control voltage).

Let me know in the comments below any particular subjects you’d like me to tackle. I’ll be doing basic stuff like how to send 1/oct signals from Audulus to VPO oscillators in your system, as well as gates, envelopes, modulation, etc.

The goal of these videos is to be short and to the point to demonstrate a single concept rather than a 20 minute video that ranges over several topics.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Input calibration should probably be covered as that is one of the few things that didn’t work immediately for me.

Also gate and modulation attenuation might be a good topic. With some modules you need to make sure you are using 0-5V or they behair strangely. For example, the Turing machine doesn’t do well with bipolar gates and Pamela’s New Workout doesn’t do well with 10V gates.

2 Likes

Both excellent ideas! Thanks Robert - keep 'em coming people :slight_smile:

This is perhaps slightly off topic, but if there’s a proven method for getting something like TouchOSC to play nice with Audulus/ES-8 on iOS, I’d like to hear about it. I remember trying that a bunch of times (inspired the thread by stschoen) but never really getting it to work.

I think the problem was something like if you have more than one or two CC’s mapped to Audulus knobs, they will start dropping out randomly. It’s been a while, can’t rememer exactly.

Looking forward to that XY-pad you promised for v4! I hope there will be other performance-oriented features as well!

1 Like

Would you be able to cover CV and audio processing using the ES-8 inputs?

For instance, inputting a V/Oct signal into the ES-8, then converting it to the correct pitch signal for Audulus to use. Also CV mixing, applying logic to CV and using the ES-8 for additional VCAs are other uses I could think of.

I’ve messed with this a little bit getting my MS-20 mini to send pitch/gate out to my Eurorack going through my ES-8 and Audulus, but seeing a pro do something similar would be helpful, haha!

2 Likes

Brainstorming:

• ES-8 as a mixer
  • Chaining ES-8 modules with optical outs (I can help with that if you don’t have two units handy)
  • Using the optical cables with your existing audio interface on Macs to avoid aggregate devices
  • Creating tempo-synced modulation with a clock input
  • Midi input to CV output
  • Audulus as the ultimate customizable oscillator
  • Stereo effects processing (delays and reverb)
  • Recreating MI Kinks and Links with the ES-8 (covering the topic of fixed latency as well)
  • Creating a delay-based looper/stutter with external signal and gate
  • Using splines to create custom modulation responses. EG take a DC offset source, like channel 2 & 3 from maths, and make it map to several splines and send those splines to different destinations for unique knob sweeps.
1 Like

Thanks @joez2103 @robertsyrett @viilis - great ideas!

It’s my understanding those are for ES-3 and ES-6 expander, not a separate ES-8, right?

1 Like

The ES-8 can stack with itself!

2 Likes

I did not know that! But are you still limited to 16 i/o ultimately? Or can you chain however many you want together?

1 Like

Well I only have two, so I can’t verify it. It’s probably worth asking OS though, he loves to give yes or no answers.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is the right thread for his but,
I’ve had success using the Audulus ES-8 module to output to an Expert Sleepers ES-3, and the ES-5 connected to it. No physical ES-8 at all.

Steven

2 Likes

That makes sense since the ES-8 module is just a useful visualization tool for the ADC and DAC nodes, and those work for any audio interface you have connected (up to 16 channels).

1 Like

https://instagram.com/p/BqJZV7DlN7c/

Fun little jam I did last night :slight_smile:

2 Likes

pardon if this is the wrong pIace to ask but I am a bit confused about which expert sleepers expansion modules work with audulus. I have an es-8, what module would I use if i wanted to expand my gate/cv outputs? what module would I use in audulus ?

1 Like

I use a second ES-8 to expand my inputs and outputs, by slaving one to the other using optical cables.

To access those additional channels you just use the ADC and DAC utility nodes and assign them to the appropriate input/output+8.

The slave es-8’s first input would correspond with adc channel 5, for example.

3 Likes

thanks for the info. i guess i’m wondering if any other expert sleeper modules are designed specifically for cv/gate outputs. i know the es-5 sacrifices two outputs on the es-8 and gives you 8 gate only outputs. which, if any, expand the es-8 cv outputs and work in audulus?

1 Like

You mean without another ES-8? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I would just drop os a line at expertsleepersltd (at symbol) gmail com. Mr. Ostler will usually answer product questions super fast.

ES-5 support needs to be built in (and I’m lobbying for that for Audulus 4) - the only other way of expanding ES-8 that isn’t buying another one is getting the ES-6 (inputs) and ES-3 (outputs).

2 Likes

https://instagram.com/p/BqOiW5_Fy1q/

Plaaaaaaaaaits!

1 Like

Groovy! Looking forward to see what you make with it. I ordered my own plaits today :slight_smile:

1 Like