Multiple MIDI

BopPad keyboard?.audulus (136.8 KB) I am sequencing audulus with analog four by sending cv to the es8, while using my drum. But can I add another midi device in audulus, such as my keyboard? If so, how do the midi devices know which channel to use?

Also probably don’t need that VPO going from a4>es8>Audulus? Its definitely handy for octave and key shifting.

1 Like

Are you able to on your MIDI devices to program them to broadcast on a particular channel? You can usually reprogram them somewhere and and say “only on Channel 1” - that way you just create 2 MIDI inputs and change the channel from Omni to whatever it is coming in.

1 Like

The MIDI keyboard interface can be set to a specific channel, however the MIDI trigger cannot. A MIDI Trigger will respond to its programmed note when sent on any channel. If you need to use separate channels for multiple MIDI devices and you want to use triggers, you’ll need to ensure that you don’t have any conflicts.

2 Likes

BopPad keyboard? 2.audulus (111.7 KB)
So I mostly figured it out. If you look inside the midi module for the BopPad it has 2 midi sub modules set at channel 15. I take it that when these were omni it was fine, but now with the hard set midi to channel 15 it causes a conflict using this design?

Setting them both to channel 15 shouldn’t cause any problem assuming the bob-pad is set for channel 15. I noticed you have both keyboard nodes set for 2 note polyphony. I’m not sure exactly what you had in mind since I can’t see the rest of the circuit, but if you are trying to capture the velocity, the bottom one needs to be set to legato rather than poly mode. The gate is always 1 in poly mode (at least for the moment).

Posted the patch above. 1. I found that with legato I couldn’t do rolls. 2. I really can’t remember why I have 2 nodes. I think it is your or @robertsyrett’s design. Of course, then I went in there and mashed around, so it probably has some silly connections. I am off to work but I will test it with some different options when I get home.

Thanks for having a look, you are always such a big help with MIDI.

When you set a keyboard node to poly, the gate value is always 1 rather than the actual note velocity. This is a bug with the current version of Audulus. The circuit you posted can be used to get a poly input with velocity, but only if the node feeding the S&H input is set to legato.

Okay. Complex yet simple. I cleaned up what I have a little. In some patches I may want to send all four octave signals to the same output, so I can maximize the ES-8. How would I sum that properly? Also, with that sample and hold config, is it also modifying the gate to a trigger? Should I be using gate to 10ms pulse nodes when I want to get faster results?

BopPad Xkey ES8 2.0.audulus (102.7 KB)

The gate length is determined by the length of the incoming gate. When the MIDI node receives a note-on message it sets the output frequency to the correct value for the note and the gate value based on the velocity in the MIDI message. The gate stays at this value until a note-off message is received at which point it drops to zero (in poly mode). So the gate length is determined by the interval between the note-on and note-off messages sent by the bop-pad. The sample and hold is just a way to grab the velocity from the legato node since the poly node doesn’t support velocity. It doesn’t change the gate length. If you want manual control it would certainly be possible to convert the gate signals to a shorter pulse. I don’t see any practical way to send multiple values over one output. You are sending 4 different signals any of which can occur simultaneously, no matter how you combine them, you couldn’t separate them on the other end. If you could live without simultaneous signals you could possibly send the drum (1 to 4) on one channel and the velocity on the other, but you wouldn’t have more than one drum at a time.

1 Like