Looking for Guidance on Using Audulus to Create Complex Modulations

Hello Everyone :hugs:,

Since I’ve been utilising Audulus for a while, I’ve been really pleased with the modular synthesis versatility it provides. I’ve been attempting to push the limits of my sound design lately by using more intricate modulations, but I’ve run into a bit of a snag and would really benefit from some community guidance.

In particular, I’m curious to investigate sophisticated methods for concurrently modifying several factors to produce dynamic soundscapes. Although I’ve played around with LFOs and envelopes, I don’t think I’m making the most of Audulus’s capabilities.

These are some inquiries I have:

Combining Modulation Sources: In order to produce complex and dynamic modulations, what are some efficient techniques to integrate several modulation sources (such as LFOs, envelopes, and sequencers)? :thinking:

Are there any particular Audulus modules or methods that you find especially helpful for this purpose? :thinking:

Techniques for Randomization: How do you apply randomization to patches in order to give your modulations more variance and unpredictability? :thinking: Which modules or patching techniques would you suggest using to achieve controlled randomness? :thinking:

Polyphonic Modulation: Since I’ve been experimenting with polyphonic patches, I’d be interested in learning about other people’s methods for modulating polyphonic voices. How do you make sure your modulations are consistent and melodic in multiple voices? :thinking:

Examples of Complex Modulations: I would be very grateful if you could give any examples of patch that show off complex modulations. It would be quite enlightening and encouraging to see how other people tackle this.

I also checked this :point_right: https://forum.audulus.com/t/cracking-the-power-bi-code-on-complex-guitar-pedals/564 but didn’t get clarification on that.

Thank you :pray: in advance for your help and support.

I would take this sentence and simplify it. In what I imagine it aims to capture, even though the sentence seems specific, the topic is too broad. Applying simultaneous modulation that produces rich sound applies to all types of synthesis and effects.

One approach would be to upload an example of where you’ve “played around with LFOs and envelopes.” Then there is an object in common to speak about. Or, mention a particular goal, like understanding how frequency/phase modulation works, or krell, or is it as simple as wanting to build a classic east coast sythesizer using subtractive techniques you might deploy on a Moog, Dave Smith, or Elektron synthesizer?

Combining Modulation Sources: see above

Techniques for Randomization: I started to locate certain modules on the forum here that were built for this purpose, but they were Audulus 3 versions, rather than 4. Which leads to the point that, right now, most of the action is on the discord channel, in the modules room. Discord

Polyphonic Modulation: Can you share a patch you made of this. This way we skip the possibility of my offending your intelligence by explaining things you already know. It sounds like you have a fairly high level of synthesis knowledge.

Examples of Complex Modulations: audio rate? There is a Reducously Complex Waveform Generator. So in this sense knowing how to produce good sound by utilizing the modulation opportunities that are routed with inputs and attenuators, designed as a module with knobs in mind that provide useful parametric ranges, would be a ‘sophisticated’ subject of conversation as far as I am concerned.

What were you looking for clarification on?