Ideas on connecting Audulus to a physical synth?

I recently bought an Arturia Minibrute 2S, and while I love it, I also love Audulus. I’m trying to see if I can merge the two, but I’m not really sure how to go about it. I’ve tried leading an 8-pin Lightning cable out of my iPhone into a patch cable which then goes into the synth’s patchbay, but I couldn’t really get anything. I think that the issue is either a lack of power, given how much CV needs, or a need for a different connection, but I’m not really sure how to proceed. Any solutions? How have y’all connected Audulus to physical synths?

Hello!

Wow, that’s quite adventurous to try and plug the lightning connection straight to the microbrute… While it probably can’t hurt your synth, the iPhone could be very unhappy with such high voltage.
Anyways, there are many option to have to two talking together, but I couldn’t recommend enough the modules of expert sleepers.
The price might be a thought pill to swallow, but the integration is incomparable (down to the colors of the negative and positive voltages of your signals!)
They also act very well as sound cards, providing in and out, at a proper modular level of all the iOS music apps.
I believe some people have experimented with the audio jack (if your still have one on your phone?), but that quite limited and the signal would need some boosting to get to the range of the arturia synth.

2 Likes

My son has a Minibrute as well. Nice rig! I would second @clem’s suggestion. The Expert Sleepers gear is a bit pricey, but it’s really the best option. There aren’t many DC coupled audio interfaces available, and none are as well integrated with modular synths as the ES-8 and ES-9. While it’s technically possible to use the headphone output from an iPhone as CV, the voltage swing available from the iPhone isn’t really sufficient to be very useful. The ES family provides connections in both directions for both audio and CV and the voltages are compatible with the minibrute.

1 Like

Hey, guys! Sorry for the late reply—today’s been such a weird day, haha. Anyway, thank you for the info! However, while I think that those modules are super interesting, I just don’t feel like I should. Like, eurorack seems like such a delightful hole to fall down, but it’s nonetheless a bit of a hole that I really can’t afford at this point in time. I’m going to see what I can do without buying modules or connecting via my iphone. Limitations can prove to be creative gateways, so we’ll see where it’ll bring me. Again, thanks for all the input—I’m always so appreciative of everybody here.

1 Like

No problem. Hopefully version 4 will have MIDI out. There are stand-alone MIDI to CV converters that are pretty cheap, which would allow Audulus to produce CV via MIDI out. In fact the Minibrute has one built in. Not sure if you could use it separately from the sequencer. Of course you can send MIDI from the Minibrute to Audulus now and route audio from Audulus into the Minibrute. The Minibrute has a pretty nice sequencer and arpeggiator which could could be sent to Audulus.
To send MIDI from the Minibrute to Audulus on an iPhone or iPad all you would need is a CCK (camera connection kit) and a standard USB cable.

1 Like

Hi,

I have a Novation Bass Station 2. What I do is using the midi out en midi in to connect to my mixer Behringer XR18. It has a midi through that translates the midi signal to USB. Than I mix the audio signal from the Bass Station with the audio signal coming from Audulus. Playing the synth will send the midi also to Audulus, which will play in sync.

2 Likes

The Minibrute already has USB MIDI out so a converter isn’t needed.

1 Like

Actually, using the 2S’s sequencer with Audulus sounds like a cool idea. I was hoping to use Audulus to add some interesting LFO options to the 2S, and I assume I can probably do that at some time, but we’ll see. It’s all good.

1 Like

Once we have MIDI out you should be able to use a MIDI to CV converter (maybe the built-in one) to send MIDI CC and convert it to CV for use as an LFO

1 Like

Do we have any idea yet as to a release date for A4, by the way?

@Taylor is working on it. The UI design is pretty much done but much of the code has been rewritten from the ground up. The current beta actually works pretty well, but there’s still a lot to do. No release date has been set at this point.

1 Like