Help using Audulus with Expert Sleepers ES-8

If you need help or want ideas on how to integrate Audulus with your rack using an Expert Sleepers ES-8 (or other DC-coupled audio interface) post a link your Modulargrid case here and I and others will post example patches that you can load and use with your rig along with suggested system patching!

3 Likes

God Idea for a thread. I will have to make something.

2 Likes

This thread has pushed me to update my Modulargrid case! An original Arturia MiniBrute is usually on the side of the case along with a WMD Geiger Counter Pro which has 2 assignable CV inputs. The blank panels are soon to be filled in a little more with a few more DIY mixers, multiples, and eventually the 281 Dual Function Generator and Triple Wave Folder Buchla clones by Toppobrillo (Barcode panels).

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that. I wish I had a friend nearby with all that Folktek kit! I would be interested to hear what kind of sound you are producing with that arrangement. :slight_smile:

Do you like the Tea Kick?

1 Like

I will try to be better at sharing my audio files. I have tons of stuff I’ve recorded with it. I do like the Tea Kick, but not specifically for the kick drum sound it gets out of it. I do use it for a kick, but it’s fun to tune it up for higher percussion sounds or CV control it for differently pitched drums. Leaving the resonance open gets some thick sounding bass lines as well. The WTF input is also like a strangely behaving bandpass filter that I use a lot for neat effect when used with CV. I’m trying to focus more on integrating Audulus/ES-8 patches with everything, so I’ll hopefully be posting some examples soon.

2 Likes

I already have lots of fun mixing audulus with this, but I would love to hear more ideas.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/892564
I also have a MI Rings and a Minibrute 2S with a few utilities.

PS - I need help scaling external pitch voltages from es-8 inputs in audulus

4 Likes

57%20PM

1 per oct to volt per oct scaling module…audulus (5.1 KB)

This should do the trick. It converts the 1/oct signals that Audulus uses for pitch and converts them to VPO eurorack. The highlighted root note indicates the note you should tune your oscillator to.

It’s pretty straightforward though because the ES-8 has pretty nicely calibrated DACs that convert the output to ±10V and audulus outputs are ±1. So you simply divide by 10 and shift up four octaves.

edit: I think you mean the opposite :stuck_out_tongue:
The inputs of the ES-8 are not quite as accurate as the outputs in my experience (I own two). You need to determine what the difference is. What I did is I sent out a 1 volt signal from a calibrated voltage source (mordax DATA) and saw that it was being received through an input at .95 volt. So I just took the reciprocal and multiplied the incoming pitch CV by 1.052 (and then multiply by 10 and subtract 4) and that seemed to work. I think o_C assumes a C root note, so you might want to shift a few semitones as well.

edit2:

You could probably do it all with Audulus and the ES-8 with a simple patch like this:

3 Likes

Love the look of this compact setup you have!

3 Likes

I’m working on a small, focused util rack built around an ES-8 to
sit alongside my Teenage Engineering PO-400.

I haven’t found a case small enough for my needs, so I’m looking to cram everything into a project box like this:

The PO-400 is a decently rounded starter synth. I also have an OP-z w/ CV out for sequencing.

The Audio I/O unit is meant to allow easily bringing in pedals and other instruments. Both the OP-z and es8 will be connected to the same ipad.

Hopefully the “sleepy boi” can bridge these systems, allowing me to invent new effects for other instruments (guitar, etc) and add in extra modules and patches seamlessly.

3 Likes

My son has an OP-z which he is using to sequence Ableton and his MiniBrute2. He likes the sequencer in the OP-z quite a bit.The 400 seems like a pretty good deal for the money. I’ve compared it to some of the other semi-modulars in it’s price range and it’s hard to match (at least with another analog unit)

3 Likes

I think the PO 400 series + ES-8 would be a amazing system.

3 Likes

The Behringer Neutron (or the upcoming Crave) are most commonly compared, and they’re both really cool! I value portability and battery+speakers (like an ipad or op-z) means I can plop it anywhere and start playing. I also like being unconstrained by any internal routing, so the PO-400 lets me exercise a specific type of workflow. It has opened my mind to new possibilities. Part-for-part, its an incredible value compared to other modular systems (if you can get over the DIY build aspects).

I can’t wait to bridge it wtih Audulus!

3 Likes