Es-3 / es-6 with Arturia Fuse and Audulus possible?

Hello,

I wonder if it’s possible to use Audulus on iPad with Arturia AudioFuse connected to es-6 / es-3 through ADAT to send cv to my modular?

1 Like

On paper it should be fine since the AudioFuse is a class compliant USB audio interface and the ES-6/3 will show up as just more i/o for that device.

The one caveat is that if you wanna run other programs as well (perhaps using AUM) you will be limited to two ins and outs for Audulus. Otherwise things tend to get weird/unstable.

1 Like

Thank you @robertsyrett.
Yes, I’ll probably use it with AUM.
But I don’t have Audulus yet - I think I don’t follow: does it mean that only 2 ports in AUM will be available for Audulus?
Es-3 has 8 outs - will they be available in Audulus?
Es-6 has 6 ins - same question.
In other words is it the limitation only for the inter operation with AUM?

This seems to be what works best for stable operation. @stschoen might have something to add to this as he is more familiar with AUM.

I use Audulus on it’s own and can access all the ports of either audio interface I have plugged in. I have used an ES-8 and a Roland Octa-Capture.

When standalone, Audulus sends its I/O directly (via iOS) to the current input and output device. Audulus currently has up to 16 ports of input and output available when running standalone. However when running as an IAA (inter-app audio) or Audiobus device, Audulus does not communicate directly with the hardware, but instead sends its I/O to the hosting app. Currently Audulus only offers two channels of I/O when running in this mode. It is possible for an IAA or Audiobus app to support more than two channels, although it’s not common. Loopy HD, Sudiomux, Thumbjam and Tonestack are some that I own. I have made a feature request that additional channels be added in the future but I don’t know if or when that might be implemented. The other channels of I/O on the hardware are still available within AUM for other purposes.

2 Likes

@stschoen Thank You. That helped me a lot.

LayR also supports multiple outputs. I know A3 is winding down, but I would so love it if 6 or 8 outputs were available via IAA/Audiobus even if the hardware is onlynstrreo.

I would like to see the IAA/Audiobus version offer at least 8 channels in and out. That would provide support for an ES-8 which seems to be the most common interface for those wishing to interface with Eurorack hardware. Since the AU version will be capable of running multiple instances, I think two channel I/O for the AU would be acceptable. I don’t expect to see any changes until the release of A4 at the earliest.

The fact that I can’t run Audulus and AUM with the ES-8 (4 ins/8 outs) has been a bit of a wall. I sort of built a Eurorack to incorporate Audulus into a small studio setup.

Some of the downsides are that I had been collecting the affordable high quality AUv3’s coming out of the iPad production world. This was exciting. I can’t really run any of these effects while running Audulus. I can’t run them because Audulus is functioning as a go-between hardware clocking and the ES-8.

It seems like the way to go would be to keep Audulus as the main host. Even just for simplicity sake. ie. Being able to bring a signal through the ES-8 (then through a software effect) and back out seems like the way to go (this would include treating CV in particular ways).

All that being said, making the claim that Audulus will be in a position to handle sampling, host AUv3’s, etc. sounds exciting. However, unless someone is doing some testing on an iPad mini 5 with an end to end production setup, it might be misleading to have everyone waiting for a feature set that exceed’s the hardware capabilities.

I am wondering if I ought to bite the bullet and quit waiting around, organize everything in some other way and cut my losses. It would be a shame to loose the momentum and excitement around my new gear by spending another 6 months hoping for something to solve problems it might not be able to.

I must say, I am extremely happy and impressed with Audulus (especially with all of the other things it does well). But I am concerned with Mark’s recent absence. There seems to be a couple of unsexy, basic features that might get missed for some time. Most of all I am concerned about whether the features can be accommodated without running into another wait for hardware to get snappy enough to make it reliable in a complex hardware situation.

1 Like

This is wise. I think using Audulus where it works is the best approach. Whatever it will be is cool but not here yet and the waiting game just leads to disappointment.

1 Like

Sometimes I write a comment on here and I might be sitting there for an hour working at it and what not, but then I read it and it is pointless so I delete it.

2 Likes

I know that feeling too! Sometimes saying nothing is the best approach.

I’m a big supporter of additional channels for both IAA/Audiobus and the AU and have made the suggestion several times. I can see several situations where multiple channels would be useful on both iOS and macOS. I’ve recently been experimenting with Softube Modular and VCV Rack as lower cost alternatives to a hardware rack. I’ve already sent control and audio signals to and from both to the Audulus AU running within Live. Modular only runs as a plug-in and has 2 channels of input and 10 channels of output available. VCV Rack (using the bridge to act as an AU) has 16 ports with 8 channels each. I would love to have more than 2 channels available with Audulus (and more than 2 inputs for Modular).
At this point the feature set for any future Audulus releases hasn’t been finalized, but I know that @Taylor reads the comments on the Forum. With limited resources it’s often a question of feature set vs. time to release. I think @robertsyrett has the right approach. Enjoy Audulus for what it can do today, and don’t worry overmuch about what comes next.

4 Likes