Daw Sync

Hello. Totally new to Audulus so I may be asking annoying simple things. :wink:

So I’d like Audulus instrument in Logic to sync to logic beat. For instance in the particular patch I’m using has midi input I can play and a 8 step sequence. Currently the sequence just plays. I tried replacing the clock with daw time but that didn’t work. Is there already a module built I could use or any tips.

Much appreciated.

1 Like

Hi. One way – the only way I know – is to put a set of midi notes on a channel and then go into the midi module/node in Audulus and make sure it is set to the same midi channel. Then you will get a gate pulse out of the midi module that you can wire up to a clock.

30%20PM

2 Likes

Thanks @futureaztec! That’s the way to go. You might want to consider doing 32nd or 64th note pulses as well. You need to have an on/off period, so 64th notes spaced 1/64th note apart from one another will net you a 32nd note pulse. You can then divide down the incoming clock to whatever interval you need from there using a clock divider module. It’s better to start with a faster master clock and divide down than a slower one and multiply up because it’s more accurate - hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thank you. That worked. Much appreciated.

However, audulus only seems to respond when the keyboard input is set to channel 1 and logic note channel did not seem to have any effect.

I suspect it is a setting in logic, but I am guessing. It’s hard to troubleshoot a DAW from here.

Do you have another DAW that you could try the same scenario with?

@stschoen is a MIDI buff, he might know.

I tested a plug-in using the MIDI keyboard node in two DAWs (Reaper and Ableton Live) and I can confirm your issue. Although the node works as expected in standalone mode, within the plug-in it will only respond if the node is set to Omni or channel 1. Even when set to channel 1 the node will respond to MIDI notes on other channels so setting it to 1 is the same as setting it to Omni. I’ll let @taylor know.

1 Like

Much appreciated. Thanks guys.

1 Like

The AU is due to be updated in V4 sometime this year. In the meantime, if you need to use the MIDI input for things other than a clock, you can use this filter. It will filter out a single MIDI note (currently set for 0) and output it as a clock, and pass everything else through. It’s currently set for 4 note polyphony, but can be set to the desired polyphony value including legato. You will notice a second keyboard node. This is to capture the velocity value since the node outputs 1 for the gate when it’s in polyphonic mode. (known issue). Let me know if you have any questions.
MIDI note filter.audulus (9.4 KB)

3 Likes

Because there will be no further development of Audulus 3, I have accepted my fate and have been seeing what I could pull off routing wise. Everything is foggy right now, but I have success sending a midi note as a gate pulse for clocking Audulus. I used AUM to sort out the outputs. For some reason BM3 might be sounding a bit crunchy/staticy, I can’t tell.

It is all wildly complicated to me right now, but I am getting full midi transport sync all with a foot switch as a master play/stop/record/etc, that is controlling a Mac with Ableton Live, elektron Analog 4, Yarns (mBrane) in a modular rack which is sending clock and transport into the ES-8 which is hooked up to an iPad running AUM + BM3 + Audulus.

Everything is in time.

I should add that BM3, AUM and Ableton are all synced with Ableton Link.

• I should also add that I think it probably isn’t possible to get AUM to solve the conflict with the ES-8 outputs. But I haven’t totally given up.
2 Likes

@stschoen I have been scouring the web in different places that seems promising to find more info about MIDI so that programming a keyboard to work with Ableton lite (Nektar doesn’t have pre-programmed settings that work with Ableton, even though they seem to have a whole treasure trove worth of presets for every other DAW I can think of) will make sense. Do you have documents you can recommend I look for or any other good resources that will help me to better understand how it works? At the moment, MIDI seems just this side of powerful sorcery or black magic with which I am having trouble coming to terms. Thanks for any help you can provide! :wink:

What model Nektar do you have? The keyboard, pitch bend and mod wheel will usually work without any special setup. Usually the simplest way to assign additional MIDI functions is by using the MIDI map mode in Ableton. See this video:

and chapter 27 in the Ableton user manual. If you google Ableton MIDI control you’ll find a bunch more stuff. If you have any questions let me know what you want to set up and I’ll try to give you a hand.
1 Like

That’s so awesome, thanks a lot man! I have a Nektar Impact LX49+ as my dedicated home controller which I have been working with. Additionally, I have the Nektar LX25+ which was my iPad’s “on the go” unit (great controller, but it didn’t travel well regularly, due to the size of it) until @biminiroad sent me the KMI QuNexus that I won in the drawing he generously put together a few weeks ago. The QuNexus is another big part of the reason which I have been hoping to learn about MIDI mapping. I understand there are many facets to MIDI messages and what they communicate to their synth patch(es), and I would like to be able to make changes in programs like Korg Gadget, which have an ‘edit’ feature, but they don’t make it simple like @taylor has done for us with the ‘Learn MIDI’ selection within Audulus.

I found this which might save you some time:
http://support.nektartech.com/s.nl/ctype.KB/it.I/id.2429/KB.746/.f

1 Like

Wow that is really helpful! Thanks so much @stschoen!! This is a great place to get started for me. I’m sure that I will find more documentation for configuring my QuNexus at some point in the future. For now, it will just be my Audulus controller, and that is enough for on the go at this time. Once I have figured out what CC’s, mapping, and other messages mean and how they correspond to one another, I will take another crack at programming a controller, but what you have provided is so helpful. Thanks so much for the assistance! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like