Considering a Fully Portable Modular

I think at some point, @biminiroad put a skinny module (a disting maybe?) in the 1U slot on it’s side. If I had the time and energy to make my own, I would probably put in some capacative touch plates with gate, cv, and pressure outputs. That peripheral space seems like it’s begging for performative use.

Yeah, there is inevitable disappointment when you get the thing you asked for and it turns out it’s not really what you were seeking. Personally I think, unless you just have a collection, there is an organic process of acquiring and reselling with modular that incrementally gets you closer, but never finished.

At some point you just have to take the leap, knowing that you might end up selling all.

1 Like

This guy makes the case for the Yeti power supply. Then again he is also nuts.

1 Like

I am surprised that there aren’t more options out there. I just see synthrotek and pulp logic. How is there not a startup company making just straight waterproof flight-friendly eurorack cases, instead of retrofitting cases made for carrying everything?

But answering that won’t get me what I am after…I need a case that I can take in a boat in the rain. But also something that can nonchalantly slide into an overhead compartment on a snooty plane, but then also if someone makes me check it, survive being thrown around by baggage handlers. I understand that nothing will ever be fully baggage handler proof, but I can still do everything I can to put something together that tries to meet the criteria.

It looks like the Pulp Logic is the one. Its nice to not be in a rush so I can make good choices.

1 Like

After having spent the winter confusing my Dad the electrical engineer with my dumb questions about how circuits generate characteristics – then marveling at the sound of an unpredictable analog path, I am drooling over this filter.

2 Likes

Pittsburgh does make a good filter. The impulse filter is what got me to buy my Pittsburgh LPG, the guy at the shop was confused about what I was asking for and I figured the LPG probably wouldn’t be too different. Turns out it’s one of my all time favorites. Sometime I wish it could track volt per octave but when I want a musical filter, it’s one of my favorites.

1 Like

I am slightly befuddled. Do you mean to say that you wanted the impulse filter, but bought the LPG instead and was pleasantly surprised?

What’s the story with volt per octave? I know I always like having that option with soft synth stuff, so I can lock down some parameters.

1 Like

Pittsburgh was showing off the Impulse filter at the Robot Speak Modular Meet, which is like a mini convention, but it wasn’t out yet. I was impressed with the demo but couldn’t remember the name of it later when I came in to buy it. I described the product, and the guy who runs Robot speak was like, “you want a low pass gate.”

I replied with uncertainty, and was again assured that I wanted a low pass gate. So I kind knew it wasn’t the same (slightly different panel layout) but it seemed to have the exact same product description. I was definitely pleasantly surprised.

The 1V/OCT is there kinda, you get one frequency CV input with an attenuator and inverter switch. So you can send a buffered mult of your pith cv to the filter and it will track along side your sound, but it’s not exactly 1V/OCT when you push it up to self oscillation. I guess maybe if i busted out my pitch calibration software I could make it perfect, but I already have too many oscillators and using an envelope or LFO is pretty much more fun when you only can choose one. The magic of the filter is the weird organic quality of the resonance and the fact that the response is just slightly slewed.

1 Like

A fantastic reply. I am always in over my head here on the Audulus forum, but that’s how I like it. I think I might put this module in my lunchbox after reading what you wrote. It’s funny though, when I look at the labels on the potentiometers and switches I don’t really understand what they mean, like I understand other filter modules.

1 Like
3 Likes

well that is almost too perfect.

1 Like

very cool!

1 Like

Are you on Modular Grid? There are a few more 1U tile makers. It’s a tough format because it’s so small to pack much more than some simple utilities (which is really what it was meant for anyway).

Hey uhh, you restarted my consumer desire mechanism. This triple tile looks pretty useful and badass. I also sure like the idea of being able to solder 1u tiles.

When you have some time, I would really appreciate (and probably anyone else with a Pulp Logic case or a 1u row) perhaps if you could choose a selection of a few 1u tiles that would be very effective in a Lunchbox case for Audulus users. Even some suggested modular grid mock ups would be cool. It is just so hard to know what to pick for that case without actually owning a Eurorack first and trying out a setup.

Also. As I am trying to get my head around what I want to do, one thing comes to mind. The rack really should be able to make some noise without Audulus. So I really should have an oscillator. Which makes me think that maybe that should be the first priority in the case.

1 Like

51%20AM

This one looks interesting as well as far at 1u cv keyboards go.

1 Like

Some of the 1U tiles are DIY’d or no longer available. It always helps to google the company if you see something you like and see what’s out there. Even Pulp Logic doesn’t consistently stock all of their tiles.

I’ve been toying around with the idea of making a MIDI sequencer using an Arduino MIDI kit or something - take 4-8 analog knobs and translate them into MIDI and send that into Audulus. Eventually we’ll even be able to send MIDI on/off messages to lights to have sequencer lights following along with the knobs!

2 Likes

Once I get the lunch box I am sure I will be all in.

1 Like

Funny, I’m about to install a 1U rack in my homemade case. I just picked up some DIY 1U tiles and PCBs by Barcode from Modular Addict to solder together (1 LPG, 2 Buffered Multis, and 2 Utility LFOs). I may also grab some of the DIY Tskylon tiles eventually (want my hands on that Arcade button!) and definitely some of the useful Pulp Logic ones later to help fill out the row.

@futureaztec For the guitar input with your case, I often simply use a Befaco InAmp module plugged directly into the ES-8/Audulus when recording my bass through the eurorack and directly into the iPad (when not recording into my computer DAW). The InAmp gives up to x20 gain for the input and is pretty straight forward, but if there is any noise floor it will amplify this as well. Befaco also make the i2 Instrument Interface as well for some more options to integrate the audio signal with your eurorack (including yet another envelope follower), but I don’t believe it offers nearly as much gain if I remember right. Hope that this little bit helps.

1 Like

Really appreciate all the info. I will be thinking about that Befaco InAmp for sure. The i2 Instrument Interface is a bit full featured for the small amount of space I have in the lunchbox.

Be sure to post some feedback on the process with the tiles as I am sure everyone here is interested the DIY 1U tiles.

2 Likes

I am of two minds – at least. One could make a toolbox, where the heart is to take things that are missing or CPU hungry on an iPad and put them in a rack.

It would be nice to have a scope.

It would also be nice to have a serious hardware delay module. I wish this was stereo and that you could lock a clock on it for synced divisions.

But then one issue with making a lunchtool is it seems wrong not to have an actual hardware synthesiszer (oscillator, vca, envelope, filters, etc) so that the rack could be used on its own. In that case things get complex fast, needing voices and various modulators and, inevitably, effects.

1 Like

You’ve looked into the Koma Elektronik Field Kit and Field Kit FX, right?

1 Like