Cocoquantus

Anybody here ever take a stab at creating a cocoquantus style module? I know the Ciat Lonbarde stuff is all pretty esoteric, but that seem pretty straight forward. 2 loopers with a series of modulators.

1 Like

Someone did a while ago - if you can provide block diagrams of what the modules do and what the I/O is, I can guide you in how to recreate it :slight_smile:

Not sure if this helps

2 Likes

I love this line from the product description: ā€œ the digital delay being made from discrete silicon chips, it is ā€˜2012 ready:ā€™ with no flash memory 2 B erased by solar flares. as a discrete device it also offers unique possibilities for clock modulation of your samples. ā€œ

1 Like

Yeah ciat lonbarde is like the gold standard for me. Honestly, even if there was someone who could replicate the delay/looper section, that would be enough for to recreate it with using external clocking from my modular.

1 Like

Well itā€™s nice to have you on the forum. I am looking forward to see what comes of it.

2 Likes

Stuff like this is coming with the introduction of the Audulus 4 Memory node. Stay tunedā€¦ though I canā€™t promise that a solar flare wouldnā€™t wreak havocā€¦ perhaps we can build in a ā€œsolar flareā€ feature. :grin:

1 Like

Iā€™m holding you to that!!!

1 Like

I actually made this 2 1/2 years ago when the A4 beta first came out, and have been meaning to rework it since quite a lot has happened since those early days ā€“ thereā€™s still quite a lot of legacy stuff in there. But here it is anyway, since Iā€™m not sure when Iā€™ll get round to updating it: It still does all the Cocoquantus stuff, legacy or not!

CocoQuantussy ā€“ Audulus-IV 11.audulus4 (326.0 KB)

4 Likes

From the Discord back then:

1 Like

THANK YOU!!! this is amazing. I canā€™t wait to tear into this!!! God bless this community of weirdos!!!

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a manual I found ā€“ something I put together back then ā€“ perhaps it can help navigate it a bit.

Coco_Manual_Audulus-IV.audulus4 (203.6 KB)

2 Likes

And some manuals on the Quantussy section. Forgot that Iā€™d made these!

Quantussy_manual_Audulus-IV.audulus4 (99.7 KB)
Quantussy_manual_Audulus-IV_Waveforms.audulus4 (100.2 KB)

2 Likes

Ok so this is awesomeā€¦. My only real question is with INV buttons. Iā€™m not quite sure what they do or if they work. There wasnā€™t any clear indications in the manuals.

1 Like

](Michael Perkins on Instagram: "So a few months back I saw @donny_mahlmeister play with a cocoquantus and it wrecked my brain. I wanted one really badly, but just couldnā€™t justify the price. A few months later I saw the @audulus was beta testing 4 so I figured Iā€™d see what was up. I had recently bought an ES-8 which I know works very well with the app. After diving into the new app I started to realize it might actually be possible to make a cocoquantus in the app itself. The Audulus forum is awesome. Thereā€™s no such thing as a stupid question so i started a thread asking if there might be anyone whoā€™s thought it could be possible too. I got a lot of positive responses, and then last night after about 2 Months from the original post someone dropped a working prototype! I was smitten! I ran home from work and tried it. Itā€™s so fucking cool my brain canā€™t handle it. Thanks to everyone in the Audulus community for always being such kick ass and inventive people!")

3 Likes

Such an amazing project!

Ahhh, yeah, now I remember seeing all this when I first started using Audulus, @J031 methods for taking over the delay and all thatā€¦ I see the delay lines in the Cocoish submodule, the heart of the matter I supposeā€¦

Iā€™m not sure some version with the Memory node would add anything substantial here, maybe? The old all-pass reverb could use a little love, essentially more delay lines that could be modulatedā€¦

Yes, a big shoutout to @J031! It was his examples of how to create a sampler with the delay node that got me going and made it all possible.

1 Like

The inv inputs for the inputs and outputs of the Coco sections simply invert the incoming modulation signal ā€“ this makes it possible to create nice stereo effects when the mod signal is at a low freq. and tremolo and AM effects as one speeds it up. See the attached patch.

Setting the button above the VCA inputs to ā€˜onā€™ will cause the input to be ā€˜duckedā€™ by what ever is coming out of the VCA. This can be useful if one has a loop running, for example, and want it to stay constant regardless of whatever might be coming in.

Setting the button above the VCA outputs does the opposite ā€“ the incoming signal will ā€˜duckā€™ the output or what ever might be in the loop.

(Iā€™m realising that getting some decent labelling in place might be even more important that redoing the internals of this CocoQuantussy. On the other hand keeping it a bit mysterious fits in somewhat better with the original!)

CocoQuantussy ā€“ Audulus-IV ā€“INV.audulus4 (325.7 KB)

2 Likes

Actually I just noticed in the image of the CocoQuantus at the top of this thread, that those buttons (or switches in the original) are labelled ā€˜Dolbyā€™ ā€“ I seem to remember Peter writing somewhere (it might have been in some Google slides which no longer seem to be available on his site) that the ā€˜duckingā€™ was intended as a kind of noise reduction, given that the circuits on the real thing are quite noisy ā€“ a big part of what gives the original the character that it is loved for.

This Audulus version is of course free of all that noise, but the ducking can come in handy nevertheless.

2 Likes

Like some sort of weird side chaining effect? Regardless, itā€™s been incredibly intuitive and has provided me with hours of inspiration in the few short days Iā€™ve been using it. My only complaint is that itā€™s a little taxing on the CPU. If cut out the reverb and the I/O and replace them with A4 modules it knocks down the load to around 45%. But thatā€™s some first world problems. I really canā€™t thank you enough for this man.

1 Like