Big project proposal!

We should make all of the basic modules for each big historic brand of modular synths:

Moog, Buchla, Roland, ARP, Serge

We don’t have to necessarily aim for the same exact sound, but stick to the workflow of each system.

This might be a better project to undertake once A4 has come out since we’ll have more options for nodes and normalization, but something to think about…

6 Likes

For Buchla, ARP, and Serge normalization is going to be a real sticking point. Otherwise I think this should be quite possible.

3 Likes

I was thinking about this a bit today. What if you went with the most basic elements necessary for each system, like 3 or 4 modules, that can be utilized together to create unique sounds/tools. You would probably want some distinct graphic theme for each, but I bet it is pretty easy to repurpose so many parts already around. Probably mostly a matter of presenting the appropriate arrangements and interfacing.

2 Likes

Ill take an ARP 2600 plzzz

4 Likes

I think this will be easier in 4 with workflow improvements and cooler knob options - I think we could manage the pin matrix by using faders that have virtual detents in them indicated by LEDs or something, rather than like hundreds of buttons.

2 Likes

Can’t wait for A4!!!

2 Likes

It doesn’t necessarily need to be skeuomorphic. I’m here to learn and practice synthesis. I’d hate to get caught up on knob design.

3 Likes

I would like to see a “system” by @stschoen, at some point. :wink:

4 Likes