Automating knobs in Ableton Live?

Just bought the Mac copy of Audulus and noticed that I can’t add a knob into the Ableton Live instrument using the “Configure” button. It also isn’t doing anything when I turn on MIDI learn. Is there any way to have Live control the knobs??

1 Like

Not currently - that’s something we’re working on though! :slight_smile: I’ll make an announcement here when it’s included in an update.

Gotcha, yeah that’s what I was really hoping for when I got the Mac version. Do you know if that will be an update to Audulus 3? Or part of 4 only?

1 Like

It will be something in Audulus 4. If you use a Time node and an expression that says Time==0 and plug it in there, when you reset your DAW’s transport to the beginning, it can resync LFOs, and even spline nodes which can be used as automation lanes of sort, but only if you play it from the beginning. I know that’s not ideal, but it’s a workaround for now.

If you bought Audulus specifically for being able to do that and not being able to do that ruins your experience with it, you should definitely get a refund and check back in with us when Audulus 4 comes out. I would hate to think you feel ripped off. Sometimes getting refunds from the Mac store is a pain since you have to do it through Apple, but if they give you guff, let me know and I’ll send you an email from my mark@audulus.com account and copy them in on the permission to refund.

That said, if you got it recently, you got in on sale, and it wouldn’t hurt to have it around to get to know it and maybe build some things in perparation for Audulus 4 coming out. Totally up to you! :slight_smile:

As you saying that MIDI CC in won’t be included in the upcoming AUv3? That would be very disappointing. With no support for any MIDI other than keyboard in and pitch bend, and only 2 audio channels, the current plug-in is pretty limited. Even if it has no MIDI out, I was hoping that the new AU would update the MIDI input features. Channel specific knobs and triggers in the plug-in would make it much more useful.
I played around with the time node a bit a while back trying to develop a method to sync Audulus to a DAW and found that, while the node works for the most part, it’s not stable enough to use for sync purposes. My experiments were with Reaper, but I suspect I would find the same results with Ableton.

1 Like

AFAIK I was talking about the Mac version, not iOS version - I’ll clarify with Taylor later today. :+1:

1 Like

I was expecting the new AUv3 to be cross-platform. (macOS and iOS)

1 Like

It will be eventually but I don’t know if it will come out concurrently for each. Gotta check with Taylor.

1 Like

Thanks for the response on this. To be honest that was the main reason I got Audulus on Mac. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for 4 :wink:

1 Like

In the meantime you can use Soundflower to route audio from the standalone version of Audulus to Ableton. Not as convenient as using the plug-in, but do-able.

1 Like

Hey, it’s been awhile and I’ve been sleeping on Audulus lately but would love to know if this has either been implemented or if there are plans to implement it soon. It’s pretty crucial to my workflow and I would be excited to integrate it.

The AU is scheduled for a major update with version 4. It will be an AUv3 and should have much better DAW integration. Some form of plug-in parameter passing is expected, although the exact form it will take is still TBD.

Gotcha I was wondering if it would still see the light of day in version 4 or if it was going in the current version. Any clue on the timeline of Audulus 4?

Version 4 is currently in beta. @Taylor has done an extensive rewrite of much of the code and there is still quite a bit left to do. No ETA as yet.

1 Like