Audulus Mac UI vs iOS: Keyboard & Search

thanks for sharing! it’s an interesting option for a super lightweight controller. the pads on my nanopad2 are a bit weird, but the ones on the studio look much closer to the ones on a maschine. i’ll try to test it in person. thanks!

1 Like

thanks for sharing this. i tried it and it works nicely.

@biminiroad i am also wondering: does audulus record keyboard (qwerty not piano/midi) strokes in a way that allows to use them in the patches?

for me this would be the 2nd best thing after having a portable controller [like the qunexus or nanokeys studio or nanopad2 etc].

do you know if there is a way to run easy midi while audulus is the active window in mac?

from what i can tell easy midi has to be the active app in mac for it to work… (as far as i can tell) which means that audulus is not… therefore i cannot be clicking with the mouse on a patch (or dragging a knob) while hitting the keyboard to get notes. :confused:

No there’s no musical keyboard for Audulus thought you can download a third party one:

I’m lobbying to add one to A4 though. Ideally you could assign any key to any MIDI note, not just limited to typical keyboard use.

1 Like

I’m lobbying for this too… ;)) Is there a feature request thread/github page where I can +1 for features like this one? :slight_smile:

I tried Easy MIDI as well as this one. The issue is that the MIDI keyboard application needs to be the active window in Mac OS for it to work. Which means that there is no way for me to modify the patch (ex. drag a knob) in Audulus while pressing keys on the keyboard. You are not aware of some clever iOS work-around for this via a script or something like that, are you?

https://discourse.audulus.com/t/feature-request-megathread/82?u=stschoen

In macOS the active window receives the keystone information. Windows in the background don’t see the keystrokes. While it is technically possible to intercept keystrokes at a system level, macOS intentionally makes this difficult to do to prevent key-loggers and the like. It requires a process running with root permissions, which normal applications do not have.

I see. And there is no way for me to give root to process of my choice to go around this? Could I write an AppleScript snippet for Audulus, which reads my keystrokes and sends them to Easy MIDI?

I’m sure it would be possible to write something that could run at that level but I’m not too familiar with the security settings on the MacOS kernel. You would need a good working knowledge of the internals of macOS, much of which isn’t public. I haven’t worked with AppleScript much but I believe that Easy MIDI would have to be in the foreground in order to receive a keystroke. In AppleScript AFAIK you basically tell the system to simulate a keystroke which is set to the active app.

I see. I will look more into this. Thanks!

If you have an iPad you could use it as a controller. There are several good iPad apps. I use TouchOSC which allows you to build your own UIs. It would give you some virtual knobs as well as a keyboard. I think there may even be some freebies out there.

I bought Touch OSC a few years ago. I can run it on my iPhone 7+. That’s a cool idea because I always have my phone with me… Thanks!

1 Like

Edit: I can setup the connection between TouchOSC on my iPhone and my Macbook Pro via the Bridge app. I’ll see if I can make the whole setup work with Audulus and report back. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just want to update with an answer about TouchOSC - I just used it on my iPhone to trigger a build on my MacBook.

1 Like