Audulus & Hermod by Squarp

Is anybody using Audus with the Hermod sequencer by Squarp?

1 Like

How would that work? Does the Hermod receive CV? Would the Hermod be controlling Audulus?

1 Like

Both ways: Hermod can send and receive CV. I have a Hermod and will experiment soon, if I find the time.

1 Like

The Hermod also offers a MIDI connection so you could potentially send MIDI data to Audulus (and receive it when MIDI out becomes available.) rather than (or in addition to) CV. Might be simpler for sending pitch data since there would be no calibration issues. In most cases attaching an Audio I/O device and MIDI device through a USB hub to a CCK and then to the iPad (or to a Mac or PC) should work. iOS doesn’t support multiple audio I/O devices but MIDI should be OK. At least it’s worked in the tests I’ve done.

1 Like

I work in a Windows environment. Hope that Audulus sorts out the interface issues on Windows soon - it’s awful to use! Can’t zoom, gestures don’t work.

2 Likes

We’ll probably never be supporting Windows touch gestures - you’ll have to use a mouse with Windows. It’s just much easier to implement in iOS than it is on Windows, sorry!

I think @taylor has a Hermod - isn’t it MIDI out only? At least from what I’m seeing on the product page, it does not seem like an ES-8 where you can send and recieve CV signals to and from Audulus, right? I mean it seems to accept and send CV signals, but it seems to process those signals internally as MIDI and then translate them back out as CVs, rather than keeping them as Audio/CV. In other words, it’s not a DC-coupled audio interface with MIDI capability, I think it’s just a MIDI interface with a lot of bells and whistles.

To me it looks more like a sequencer with both MIDI and CV outputs. Depending on what you were trying to achieve, I would be more inclined to send MIDI data to Audulus than CV, but it looks pretty flexible.

It’s not just that gestures are not supported. Also copy/paste and zooming with keyboard shortcuts don’t work. In short: Audulus is not really useable on Windows. This conflicts with the compatibility statements on your website and is especially problematic since you don’t offer a trial version. Knowing that you are not planning to become Windows compatible is very valuable information, thank you.

And yes, Hermod is not an audio interface.

2 Likes

There are plenty of people who use Audulus for Windows and enjoy it - that said, if you don’t, I can give you a refund so you can get an iOS or Mac version :slight_smile: Just email me mark@audulus.com with the email you registered with and I’ll process the refund.

The way you zoom btw is to use the mouse wheel - there isn’t a keyboard shortcut to do this on the Mac version either.

Mouse wheel zooming doesn’t work. Not even copy/paste is possible. As I don’t have any Apple/Mac computers, switching the license will not help. But a refund would help; I clearly did not get what was advertised.
Audulus has potential, but is not there yet in terms of usability currently. Having a mathematical background, I like the visual programming approach very much, especially for CV manipulation and CV generation purposes. On the other hand, I was also disappointed by the quality of the audio output (assessed on professional speakers, not the computer speakers…). But I am I am very picky, I am aware of that; I dislike the audio quality of 99% of all digital modules in Eurorack, including modules by Mutable Instruments and also Expert Sleepers. But as these modules, I am sure that Audulus will have its audience. Good luck!

1 Like

Just curious what sonic characteristics are wanting in those digital modules?