Audulus 4 public beta!

Hey @taylor, I guess I considered these to be more like questions than bugs since I’m not sure what the expectation is here. But noted and will do!

Yep, beta is full for me too. :cry:

Hi Taylor! Huge fan of Audulus 3 here.

I’m a bit annoyed (A BIT THOUGH) about the whole iOS 14. I run the latest iPad Pro on iOS 13.7 and want to essentially never upgrade it but this app might just make me shoot myself in the foot. And I say this as I’ve noticed my performance decrease every time I update my iOS, especially on my phone where it’s 14.2 now and it runs substantially worse than it did with iOS 12 (it’s an XS MAX so kinda lame that it’s already starting to become obsolete because of apple’s updates).

A few questions I hope you can help me with, some about Audulus 4 itself and some perhaps a bit more “general”:

1 - when is the actual app coming out? I obviously wish I could be part of the beta but it’s closed and I haven’t made my mind up on whether I’ll update or maybe just hold on and buy it once I actually upgrade my device a few years down the line.

2 - is there reaaaaaally no way you can perhaps consider supporting a bit backwards? Even if some functionality is missing on this initial version since it will be locked to iOS 14 only?. Or are those iOS 14 functions really that necessary?

Just asking because I would be very annoyed if suddenly this device I bought to make music becomes 20%ish less usable after updating (at least with my iPhone it has been my experience, it can keep up with less AUs than it used to when I first purchased it). Maybe Audulus 4 will be so good I won’t mind that much, but it’s a huge compromise I’d have to take and since you can’t downgrade your iOS… well, I’m sure you know where I am coming from.

3 - If (2) is out of the question, could you tell us your opinion on how much has iOS 14 affected YOUR devices? I had to unfortunately update my phone because of a restore problem a few months ago. The thing , now running iOS 14.2, keeps loosing reference to the AUs i have (they disappear from the AU list on all hosts and I need to restart to see them again). Obviously, stuff like that which is apple’s fault just adds to the whole “no updates for me”. I do not want to have that same bug on my iPad, I wouldn’t stand restarting the thing twice everyday just because of how terrible iOS 14 has been (IMO).

It is because of this that I ask, so…

Any info on how you feel about the performance decrease of updating to iOS 14 or any issues you might have encountered down the way would be very relevant to me.

I know this is a bit of a weird question, and not much about Audulus itself but it’s just quite limiting to be forced to used the latest iOS so I do have to ask given all the concerns I have about it. iOS 14 just keeps ruining my day whenever I touch it on my iPhone. I wish I could restore to an older iOS really.

Thanks in advance and good luck with Audulus 4!

Hi Enrique,

Thanks for the kind words. I know where you’re coming from. Sorry, I don’t have a release date for you.

I’m utilizing some of the latest Apple tech in iOS 14, so I can’t support earlier OSes (sorry).

My iPad isn’t that new (iPad Pro 3rd gen) but iOS 14 seems to run fine. I guess this is just the device treadmill we’re all on for better or worse. Maybe someday it will get better.

3 Likes

Are u able to send me a link to test out the beta. I’ve been busy and just now seeing this. Would love to test it out on my iPad Pro?

Hey @Btayloragent ,

You can find the invitation link to the beta at the top of this thread.

However, from what I’ve read here, it looks like the beta is already full.

1 Like

Yeah i know. Thanks. I was hoping he might open it back up

1 Like

Thank you Taylor!

I still haven’t really found much info on whether updating a modern ipad by one OS version could affect drastically the performance of the device, but in my impression it certainly can (given my experience with iphone). It’s good to hear your ipad seems to be doing just fine. I believe the generation you’ve mentioned was the one released on 2018 right?

I might just wait since I am thinking of purchasing an M1 Macbook sometime next year. But who knows… a few major apps have done ios 14 only things that I am really interested in.

Will there be support for M1s? I believe that is the name of the new mobile chip on apple desktop / laptop gear isn’t it (not too relevant unless I am wrong I guess)?

As a side question perhaps, have you ever experienced the missing AUs in your ipad? And under which ios/ipados 14 are you running it?

Also, I love Audulus. It’s great to hear the 4th iteration will be with us sometime soon, I honestly can’t wait.

Thanks for everything!

1 Like

Also interested in M1 support… Thinking of getting a new M1 Mac or a new iPad :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Beta is full! Dang!

Jup, had to realize that too, too late to the party.

1 Like

So exciting! I’ve just got an iPad on the way after a while of wondering whether iOS music making was for me. One of the main reasons I want one is audulus.

My Q is around when roughly we can expect v4, and will there be an upgrade path from 3 or will it be a whole new purchase? I know it’s not a whole lot of money, but don’t want to buy 3 and then 4 comes out a month later!

Thanks and can’t wait either way :blush:

1 Like

I’m assuming the Mac version will be available as a universal binary (i.e., include both the Intel and M1 versions)?

Thanks!
Bryan

Noooooo!!!

Any chance more users could be added to TestFlight?

1 Like

From a security standpoint, this is a very serious risk for you. I understand your frustration, as new major OS version updates bring new features, and new features inevitably bring bugs, and they are not convenient, but getting pwned is certainly worse, and so it is important to understand that upgrades prevent the obvious risks by patching over the known security vulnerabilities.

The longer a codebase stays the same, the more time opportunistic hackers of the world have to fuzz the different modules that make up the separate pieces of the OS that make it a solid system. Eventually, someone will find an exploit, and they might decide to turn it in for a bug bounty, or they might not.

The point of this is just to mention that there are worse things that most people don’t realize they are putting themselves at risk for than missing out on features or cool new apps, like Audulus 4. I took some screen grabs of the official guidance from Apple, along a mention of a gaping void of a security risk patched over in the most recent iOS update.

Edit: This post has been changed because I feel like I may have come across like a really confrontational jerk, and that is not at all how I wanted this to be perceived. The reason I mentioned it is because I care about the members of this forum, even new or quieter members I haven’t yet had a chance to get to know.

If this forum has taught me anything, it is that nobody knows everything, and this is a place for sharing knowledge and helping others out with things they may not understand yet. I was just trying to helpfully share tips about best security practices, but I feel like I stated it in a way that probably came across really negative. I am really sorry for that :confused:

1 Like

@EnriquePage91 I wanted to personally say I am
sorry for how the initial reply above was stated. I did not mean to come across in a negative or confrontational way, and I felt like I should apologize for how it was most likely perceived, edit the form, and explain myself. It is noted in the edit at the bottom of the post above. :arrow_up:

Additionally, I wanted to separate my mention that I have a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5” running really well on the most updated version of iPadOS, and it still runs through HEAVY task executions when I am running Audulus 3 and 4, AudioBus with 4-7 tiers of parallel processing, and/or doing the same with AUM while utilizing multiple different DSP apps and effects (in the form of both AU and IAA). To me, this thing feels just as snappy as it did the first day I powered on and began working with it as a truly ‘pro’ level A/V utility.

An OS upgrade is only problematic for me, at most, for the first few days while my files may still be getting shifted around for the new optimizations Apple has built in and intro’d previously. You shouldn’t be experiencing performance loss when simply upgrading on a recent device like your iPhone XS or 2020 iPad Pro, unless you have your internal storage absolutely packed to the gills, which will unfortunately take a toll on your performance. Luckily, you can improve that case by offloading some content and/or apps, and it should make a noticeable difference. If not, maybe seek out support from Apple, because that is definitely not what should be happening with recent devices like yours.

I hope this helps to assure you to that you can take the leap to the newest OS with confidence that everything should be fine on the other side of it! :smiley:

3 Likes

Just a shout out of encouragement! Been away from the forum for maybe a year, and it is great news that a beta is out there. I’m highly anticipating Audulus 4. Audulus is the only real musical programming environment for me, and I love it for it. However, lack of AU has been a too great obstacle at time. So I’m really eager to purchase Audulus 4 once it’s out! Keep up the good work!
Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words @Bingmachine !

Lately I’ve been working on a new renderer for the UI because I was unsatisfied with the performance on iPad with bigger patches. Should be really smooth! (code is here if your’e curious).

2 Likes

Ah damn, this might be a deal breaker for me! I mainly use an iPad, but I’m counting on the iPhone as a performance backup device. Might need to stay with Audulus 3 which is working close to perfect for me.