Audulus 3 not recognizing MIDI sustain pedal

Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum, so forgive me if I’m missing something obvious here. Anyways, right now I’m running Audulus v3.6.1 on my 2015 MacBook Pro as a standalone app. I’ve been trying to use my sustain pedal (which plugs into my MIDI controller/keyboard) to control a knob or even maybe a MIDI trigger node in Audulus, but Audulus doesn’t seem to recognize it. I have tried turning my keyboard off and on, restarting Audulus, and I tried opening a separate DAW (MainStage) to see if it recognized the pedal, and it did. Additionally, somehow the MIDI CC learn on the knob node is no longer working with my mod wheel, and I am SURE this has worked in the past. What am I missing here?

1 Like

A sustain pedal typically sends MIDI CC64, so you will have to use a knob. I checked mine, which is plugged into a Novation UltraNova and I was able to train an Audulus knob successfully. Modwheel is usually CC1. Are you trying to use MIDI standalone or with the AU? Currently the AU only supports MIDI input for the keyboard node, not knobs and triggers. Hopefully support will be expanded in version 4.

2 Likes

I am trying to do this in the MIDI standalone…

1 Like

It should work standalone if your pedal is working in another app. Knobs are not channel specific so it shouldn’t matter what channel your synth is on. Is the keyboard node working? Are other knobs mapping OK? If so and you haven’t already done so I would reboot and power cycle your controller. I don’t have a good answer except it should work. Obviously something is messed up somewhere in the chain. There are a lot of bits of software that process the MIDI between your controller and Audulus. Most of them are part of the OS and difficult to troubleshoot. I use MIDI monitor on my Mac to analyze MIDI messages. It allows you to observe the MIDI messages. It might be useful.
https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

2 Likes

Ok! I finally fixed it! Turns out all you have to do is connect a knob to a parameter BEFORE you assign the MIDI controls… I should have tried that sooner… Anyways, thank you so much for looking into this and for recommending this app.

2 Likes

Good to know. I guess I never tried mapping an unconnected knob. Audulus doesn’t process parts of a patch that aren’t connected to some kind of output (meter, value node, waveform, light, speaker etc.) and Since MIDI messages are received as part of the audio engine an unconnected knob doesn’t receive any MIDI.

1 Like