Arpeggiator Fun

I was working on a new version of the uPegg arpeggiator and thought I’d post this. The new version has an octave adjust and a pattern selector. There is also a new version of the keyboard latch included. I hooked up a 4 chord sequence for demo purposes, but you can connect the keyboard latch as an alternative. To hear the arpeggiator without all the effects, disconnect the modulation from the octave and pattern knobs on the Pegg, and the mix knobs on the effects and set the effect mix to minimum, and use a single output from the arpeggiator to feed the oscillator. I thought it sounded cool.

arp test 3.1.audulus (924.9 KB)

5 Likes

Made some improvements to the pattern generator and added a “Weirdness” switch to disable the effects so you can hear the arpeggiator. Unhook the modulation from the pattern selector and octave control to try out the various patterns.

2 Likes

The arpeggiator still has some bugs with 1 and 2 note patterns. I’m working on a fix but I’m a bit brain dead at the moment. I’ll post the finished unit in modules once it’s thoroughly debugged.

2 Likes

I completely redesigned the internal logic. I fixed the sequencing errors and it’s much more tolerant of parameter changes as it runs. I added a direction control and a transpose to lower the pitch of the output. When in the up direction the arpeggio runs from the entered notes up the number of octaves set (0-3). When down, the arpeggio runs from the highest octave set down to the entered notes. Up and down alternates up with down. Transpose allows you to shift the output down by semitones up to 3 octaves. allowing you to have a pattern running below the entered notes. As before turn off the “Weirdness” toggle to turn off the effects. I’ll post it in the modules section when I’m satisfied it’s debugged.

1 Like

Added @robertsyrett’s excellent gate sequencer. :cowboy_hat_face: Now at version 3.1 for the patch.

3 Likes

I added some percussion and a phaser for the drone. It still runs (barely) on my old iPad Air 2 so it should run on anything reasonably modern. The phaser is a CPU hog so remove it if necessary. I took out the effect disable switch to save some CPU so I left the last version for those interested. I think this will be the final form for the arpeggiator (at least for now).
uPegg 3.0 demo.audulus (1.4 MB)

3 Likes

Excellent pad sound, the phasor really brings it to life.

3 Likes

Thanks, I think the mods to the uPegg add a lot of flexibility. The patch doesn’t really demo it very well since it has so much randomness. It turned out to be a much more difficult project than I had anticipated. Dealing with a variable number of notes added a significant amount of complexity.

3 Likes

Very nice patch with a very mellow ambient vibe. Runs well on a 2019 iPad 3 with iOS 13.

2 Likes