Simple Phase Modulation Oscillator

0 would be pretty good although it might also be a bit cryptic. I generally avoid tuning knobs since it’s simple to alter the input pitch and I always seem to get them off just a bit. A map might be nice if I can think of a compact way to do it. I wouldn’t want to increase the size much.

1 Like

I’m a bit puzzled by your comment regarding toggles. Mine alway save their state when saving the patch.

How about “Carrier” or “Final” ?

1 Like

I thought about carrier but that’s really the unmodulated signal. Final might work.

Just for grins while I was drinking some coffee I replaced the switches with linear pans. It actually provides another layer to the tone-shaping possibilities, you might try it on for size :slight_smile:

PM Oscillator V1.1 - Pan edition.audulus (42.5 KB)

Admittedly it doesn’t make the routing any more clear from the front panel, but you can hear the change in timbre from wiggling the knobs.

2 Likes

I like the crossfaded modulation. It definitely expands the palette of timbres available. I think this will be come the next revision as soon as I figure out a way to make the routing a little clearer. Maybe I need some help from the folks at MakeNoise.

1 Like

How’s this?
59%20PM
PM Oscillator V2.0.audulus (60.7 KB)

3 Likes

Oh man, that is AWWsome! The LEDs make this even more fun somehow.

1 Like

I pictured something like this in my head. Unfortunately, I find this almost more confusing.

Jacks at the bottom are hard to think on right now, because I thought the signal flow was going up.

The arrows don’t appear to obviously refer to the modulator below. They could be interpreted as feedback symbols.

I guess with knobs instead of buttons the possibilities have opened up more, by having an amount parameter there, rather than a binary.

53%20PM
I feel like LED’s should go dim but never vanish completely, as it could confuse the interpreter of the routing.

It is difficult to make and suggestions because I am not a builder and so don’t know the nuances of the vector limitations and what not. Also, I am sure it could be laid out many ways. One thought would be to keep to the original, perhaps, and then flesh out a larger version for easier understanding. Then you aren’t wrecking something that already looked great. It would also allow you to start more fresh with it.

I should never have mentioned it! :sweat_smile:

• I know some modular synth designers actually hire well known faceplate people to handle this stuff. I don’t think it is easy. Especially when you already understand a module, it is hard to imagine how other people will interpret it.

You could always crossfade with a red.

59%20PM

PMO v2 Color mod.audulus (61.8 KB)

2 Likes

It would have been a nice thing if it were possible to brighten and dim the connection lanes – even if they flickered a bit when being modulated. I think this is a challenge here, this one. But I think it is worth while.

There is also the issue of the knob display expanding and covering part of the UI’s LED’s. Again, this might be a matter of giving space for clarity.

It’s funny, I find I stare at it to think of how I might imagine it differently, but even though I have read the routing 20 times today, I still get confused.

Reminds me of a biconditional formal logic connective.

1 Like

What about putting the LED’s that indicate the modulation being applied to another modulator, inside the knob of that destination.

Then put the LED’s for the amount being applied to the master carrier in a bank.

moving the pots around…

1 Like

PMO v2 Fan Patch.audulus (807.9 KB)

2 Likes

Just in time for Halloween! Definitely fits the “spooky music” genre. Very nice.

1 Like