Revisiting the crackling noise

The 44.1 to 48 k. sample rate problem surfaced when the iPhone 6 was introduced. I don’t believe it applied to the iPad. For the 6, the DAC driving the speaker was locked at 48k, so if you were using the speaker the conversion had to occur for a 44.1 input stream. Can anyone with an iPhone 6 or later comment on whether the problem still occurs. Do you still get cracking when on speaker? (I use an SE because I like the smaller size). It was really more of an example of how little things can often cause problems you don’t expect. Apple is pretty closed mouth about their hardware, so sometimes this sort of problem shows up unexpectedly. You would certainly expect that Audulus on a Pro would run patches you couldn’t run on earlier hardware. In this case it sounds like the issue is with the current openGL implementation on the Pro. Since most iOS apps don’t use openGL, particularly with demanding audio processing as well, it obviously didn’t get picked up. Lets hope that Apple has a fix soon. In case you’re wondering why @Taylor chose openGL, I would bet it’s because it’s a graphics library that’s available on iOS, macOS, Windows and Linux. His life would be much simpler if he only had to deal with one platform. I chose Java for a lot of my custom programming for the same reason.

1 Like

Update: The CPU load is proportional to the size of the rendered view.

This should help me narrow down the issue.

Making progress :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FIXED!

Totally my fault. Took a while to track it down.

We’ll be releasing a new version ASAP.

3 Likes

That’s fantastic.

1 Like

Fix released just now :smile:

4 Likes

I just checked and it’s not out quite yet in my App Store zone - so if you’re seeing this shortly after Taylor has posted it and it still says version 3.5.1, just check back in a couple hours.

EDIT: Update available in my region now.

1 Like

Update available in KY at 11:00 AM

1 Like

Is this an iOS only bug, or does it also apply to macOS?

1 Like

Thank you so much for your hard work and fast turnaround on this fix.

I have checked all of the patches that gave me a lot of crackling like “nurple”, “tanzen”,”drum seq 2”, etc. and they all work now without crackling.

One quick note. There is a short 1/2 sec of crackling when I first open the patch, then it disappears. Just thought you would like to know.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

@stschoen iOS only.

2 Likes

Thanks much for the fix! I am just getting into patching so this will greatly improve the adventure.

2 Likes

This is a really big deal. It is nice to have flashy features, but, for me at least, this changes everything. Even just looking at patch noodles is way smoother. Thanks so much.

1 Like