expert-sleepers

Here are some good starting places on ModularGrid

Expression

Noise

Random

Also this - Koma Field Kit

1 Like

I bet you’d also love this company.

Landscape makes a lot of great noise-making stuff.

This one is the wildest - Stereo Field.

Stereo-Field

Here’s a video of it in action.

The Allflesh “patch cables” are great too

They can turn any input into a rhythmic physical interface.

allflesh

2 Likes

Instead of the Geiger Counter, you could get an FX send/return module and use the new Geiger Counter Pro pedal. It’s got two CV inputs that are assignable to any parameter, a dry/wet blend, its own dedicated filter at the end of the signal, and the ability to morph between the selected wavetable instead of hard-switching (also CV/expression assignable). I’m a huge fan of Folktek so I also second that notion.

Bastl instruments has a whole line of modules to control servos, DC motors, solenoids, and the like.
There also a eurorack module out there that takes biodata from plants to convert into MIDI data for music making. I don’t remember the name of the module, but there’s also a device called MIDI Sprout that does the same thing.

1 Like

Slow your roll there! I actually tried to model this when it came out, I came to the conclusion that a large part of the user experience for this module was switching the patch in real time with the rotary encoder. And rotary encoders are not something Audulus can do well at the moment. So while the elements of Pulsar can be easily constructed, the performative component would likely be absent. Although it sounds like @Esgal has already elected against it.

Also, DATA is lab-grade equipment. If you want to calibrate anything, DATA does the job. It is what I am using these days to calibrate analog oscillators and the scaling on inputs into and out of the ES-8.

So, Bastl is my new favorite company! Specifically the motor modules. Essentially, I can tear out the power supply of a given device and have it controlled by cv! This would be amazing for Borgasm!

As for the Geiger counter pedal, I’m going rack based to limit the clutter scattered about the table.

1 Like

Might be a good feature request - support for rotary encoders for Audulus 4 MIDI! :slight_smile:

Yeah I was just thinking for such a small rack it might not be the first thing you want to buy if the goal is to be making noise.

That said, I know @esgal mentioned being a radar tech, so a piece of gear like DATA would probably make him feel right at home :slight_smile:

The best way to create something, is to know all about each part :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is why I should study gluons and quarks more. Once you can build with those you can create literally anything!

1 Like

Based on some recommendations and a lot of research, I’ve put together a couple racks. A bare bones rack I want to get started in collecting noises, a bio-mechanical interfacing rack to manipulate devices while recording them, and a full on laboratory rack (not pictured).

This is a handful of modules aimed at collecting sound from various sources. Ears for connecting my EM mics and for the contact mic, RF Nomad for collecting short wave radio signals, and the ADDAC Bluetooth module for receiving whatever audio files people want to send in any situation. That should give me a pretty broad range of options. Then, of course, the ES-8 and Data.

This one is going to be linked directly into my sci-fi projects. In short, I want to use biofeedback to control the Bastl DC motor modules, which will be connected to various motorized goodies, which I will then record with my EM mics. I can start playing a scene (music and devices at baseline setting) and then as their experience changes and adapt to the scenario, the sensors will pick up biometric changes which will then impact the motors and then the sound! A musical bio-feedback loop! It still needs some tweaking for optimal signal flow before the iPad, but this is an exciting thing for me.

4 Likes

I can’t believe I forgot to recommend RF Nomad! The guy who runs the company is stellar, I met him at Knobcon a while back. His build quality is very good.

The Brainterface is awesome too. I bet you’ll really love this rack! Make sure to report back to us and show us your progress in pics and videos :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahhh glad you found the Scion module when I couldn’t think of the name. I’ve been meaning to look into the RF Nomad further, seems very interesting. Loving the direction you’re taking your modular and can’t wait to see some examples of your work!

2 Likes

Oooooh good tip! Definitely looking into these.

1 Like

ok this is freaky, I was -just- shopping around for a 'scope and DATA and O’Toole are ones I am keen on, and then I came across RF Modulars short wave radio module…it must be the ad placement on Matrixsynth or something…

Ha! SO is DATA or Otoole the only prebuilt options? I see some DIY stuff but I already have 3 DIY modules in the rack and wanted prebuilt for the rest…

Oh and HI from the new Forums!

1 Like

Yeah, basically. Go for DATA if money and HP is not an object, or it does something you like. O’Toole is better for small racks where you just need a small scope.

And welcome!

1 Like

My modular group is trying to design a DIY oscilloscope as a kit, I’ll post here if anything comes of it!

3 Likes

oh please do… I just dropped the investment in my rack secondhand prebuilt…

*mantis case, clouds, rings, OnC, TempsUtile,m32,0coast,PO32,distinmk3,MusicThingModular, RadioMusic and I hook into macbook pro and get it init into Ableton/Logic with a Yamaha MG10XU *retired the focusrite 2i2 1stgen

according to modulargrid I have 24hp left without the 0coast mounted in it, I moved the mother32 into the rack…I’m still getting a handle on eurorack and Ive only been into Synthesis for ~2 years now…(as a Guitarist, wannabebassplayer and some keys/piano) but Ive been at my most productive with the ipad 10.5" and Launchpad in all honesty…

this noise collector rack above is very interesting!!

I can play samples with the disting and RM but I saw a casemod for the PO32 and probably have to get it now…

2 Likes

Interested in a kit if this goes through

2 Likes

So I wound up switching the Ears to Foltek’s Synesthesia. Since I already have contact mics at home, I don’t need to duplicate it in rack form, and the Folktek has 4 I/Os so I can rout all my externals into one source. And they accept bitcoin, so as soon as this dude answers my email, it’s on!

2 Likes

Jealous! I want this module to help fill out my mostly Folktek-based system but haven’t been able to justify it yet. Were you the one in the Folktek Mescaline User Group on Facebook asking about this? (I may have replied) Once you can get a hold of one of these I bet you’ll love it. His work is great. The way he does the windowed lighting looks great on his modules when they’re in action too. I currently own a full Mescaline system (all 3 modules in copper) and a Conduit module (w/Resist).
To give you an idea on their hit&miss communications:
I e-mailed them on 4/9 regarding a repair to replace a vactrol in my Conduit unit. Without hearing back from them, I sent them another e-mail with the original request reminding them not to forgot about me basically on 4/16. I just barely heard back from them yesterday (5/3/18) apologizing that my request went unnoticed and that I’m good to ship the repair to them. They’re an incredibly small company for the work they do and seem like cool cats so I don’t think the lack of prompt replies is intentional. They are always super nice. Anywho, let me know how it goes!

2 Likes

I did indeed. I’m just twitchy about paying with bitcoin. Cuz, like, I could have enough money today, but the value drops tomorrow and I don’t anymore. Kind of why I’m looking to use the last of mine. It’s more stable than it was, but it’s still a habit of mine to act fast with it,

1 Like