Phase Modulation (utilizing phasor and timer nodes)

I’ve been playing with Audulus intermittently for a little over a year now. I spent the most time on it while I was deployed for a few months, and I came across a weird problem I didn’t really know how to fix.

When I use a phasor to make an oscillator, I use an expression node with a phase variable to route another oscillator’s output to it. This has worked for me to play with phase modulation, but when I tried using a timer to do this, it only appears to work when the modulating frequency is stagnant.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just due to something about how Audulus works?

IMG_0071
PM Demostration.audulus (9.5 KB)

1 Like

You aren’t doing anything wrong. This is just Audulus trying to economize on CPU and is only checking for changes at a low sample rate resulting in glitchiness. But not to worry, phasor nodes get priority in performing the same functions exactly.

4 Likes

I think what causes the problem ist that the timer node isn‘t realy ideal to be used as an oscillator.
You can use the sin() expression to convert the steadily increasing output of the timer into an oscillating wave and multiply the timer to change the frequency (like you did).
This works fine with a static frequency but when you change it you get this problem.
Let‘s say you change the frequency input from 1 to 0.5 while the output of the timer is 100. This causes the value that goes into the sin() expression to change from 100 to 50, wich means that you are quickly moving through 50 sinewaves (if that makes any sence).
Here a litle demonstration so you can see what I mean:
Timer as oscillator.audulus (1.9 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks a bunch. Really appreciate it, guys.

1 Like