Negative Intensity Application

Can anyone well versed in hardware/software synth concepts explain to me a) how does a negative envelope work, b) when a virtual patch is applying negative level of something like the LFO (specifically, MG1 in this case) to some other location’s settings (the filter cutoff, in the picture below) for automation in virtual patching form inside a software synth recreation of the Korg MonoPoly? Also, how does the amount of modulation work? I set the LFO speed, and I get varying levels of effect, dependent upon the amount of modulation applied. How is this measured or quantified, and how does one go about recreating this type of (all of the above) thing in Audulus canvas form?

I’m still struggling to understand how to translate for myself to be useful, much like when taking German in high school, someone once asked me what ‘doch’ means exactly, which was like an impossible question for me to answer, due to the fact that, dependent upon context, it can mean any one of like 9 different things, from agreement or acknowledgement all the way to a really insulting way to say “I don’t believe you”. I need a translator to help me to understand. I can work with code in a text editor all day and write really useful stuff, but this visual programming is like trying to tell my dumb brain how to smell colors, and I’m feeling like this is a hopeless endeavor every time I try to make something new and useful. Please help me!

edit: I forgot to include the portion of ‘b’ that included my actual question. Man I am dumb :confused:

1 Like

A negative envelope starts at high, goes low, sets to medium, then levels out back at high - the inverse of an envelope! :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s confusing about this? Sounds like the LFO is controlling the filter cutoff. You wondering what it does when the envelope is active? They probably add together, and if the envelope + LFO is greater than the maximum, it just stays at the maximum.

1 Like

Modulation amount is the amplitude of the modulation wave. So if a small amount is applied, it might modulate from 20Hz to 500Hz on the filter. If a larger amount is applied, it might be 20Hz to 5000Hz. The amount of modulation is the width from lowest to highest - the offset would be indicated by the Hz knob, so if it’s turned to 500Hz, you would be modulating no lower than 500Hz and from 500 to say 8000Hz, depending on your settings.

1 Like

OMG, virtual high five for you @biminiroad
That was like a “eureka!” moment as I read the first sentence.

Also, sorry for my misstatement of my question. This whole thing was meant to be about how negative amounts of a thing, that is normally positive, work. This whole afternoon of messing with settings and trying to understand on my own, which led me here, has my brain in a knot and, apparently not communicating in fully understandable terms.

In a quick summary of my intended inquiry, I was trying to ask exactly how one would make -10 intensity level of a unipolar, 0-1 range wave, and I guess while I am thinking about that, I don’t really know even how to visualize the positive amount of intensity of the LFO’s wave. At first I thought amount of amplitude also, but then that doesn’t make sense unless negative amplitude is something that is possible.

You subtract the modulation from the position of the knob. So the Knob acts as voltage offset in electronics and the negative envelope would move the frequency down. This is useful for patches with high pass filters. :slight_smile:

In Korg Gadget they have a different system. Here in Audulus it’s just -1. The expression for a negative envelope is -envelope and you just route it into the envelope input on one of the library filters or VCAs.

1 Like