Know Your Nodes pt 2 - Phase Modulation

I’m still basically doing this without editing the video so this video went a bit long. I hope it makes sense since I ended up doing a ton of takes (notice the time on the clock) so if you have any questions please ask here so I can clarify.

I also go over how to add your modules to the right-click menu on the mac version of Audulus 3.

Please continue to let me know what you think I should cover next. Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

old forum link:
http://forum-old.audulus.com/discussion/15730/know-your-nodes-pt-2-phase-modulation

3 Likes

Oops here are the files:
phase modulation oscillator.audulus (27.0 KB)

presentation patches.audulus (36.2 KB)

1 Like

I have been reading up on phase modulation and it is not as simple as one might think. This is because of the relativity of time. I have no idea what I am talking about but this is what my mind wants to think:

If something is in motion and we take a measurement of its frequency while in motion it is a different set of relations compared to taking a measurement from a fixed position outside the system. With phase, it is misleading to think of it simply as “altering the start point,” which would be more of an offset. Phase has more to do with compressing or extending points between other points, while maintaining frequency. The event occurs at the same rate relative to the observer, but the event itself becomes more densely articulated and contains more information with respect to the amount of variation between the points. Thus the folding effect is smooth because the duration will curve the changes of position by applying a finite constraint.

Any thoughts?

2 Likes