Know Your No Knead Bread pt 1 - Makgeolli

When I posted the “Bread Song” in the other thread yesterday I thought I might take a look at the bread baking tutorial I had abandoned over a year ago. I was kind of surprised that is was actually pretty watchable, there were just a few things that bugged me but maybe those things aren’t so important. Apologies in advance for the messy kitchen, I probably won’t be making any more cooking videos.

2 Likes

Very nice! The bread I make from Flour Water Salt Yeast has such wet dough that you don’t really knead it, but just fold it over itself. You can do this as little as 3 times, though I usually do it 5-10 times. Each folding only takes like 30 seconds. If you’re into baking bread I highly suggest checking out that book! :slight_smile:

I don’t mean to imply my way is the best way, it just happens to be my favorite. If you have a link, I’ll try out your recipe :bread::bread::bread::bread::bread::bread:

1 Like

Oh no, I was just saying it’s another easy way to make bread that doesn’t take strenuous 10 minutes of kneading to it. It’s not as quick as your bread since it’s levain-based (takes like 20 hours from start to baked).

The recipe is simple:

Combine

604g white
276g wheat
684g water 90-95F

Let rest for 30 minutes then combine

22g salt
216g levain

using the pincer method (fold dough on itself then squeeze it in your fist) - do this at least 2-3 times.

Bulk ferment for 12h, folding at least 3 times from side to middle on 4 sides, then flip over. You pull on it until it’s just about to break then slap it over the dough.

Divide into 2 loaves and let rise for 4 hours.

Preheat oven to 500F with 1-2 dutch ovens inside.

Bake loaf at 500F for 10 minutes, then lower to 475F for another 40.

Let rest at least 1-2 hours before slicing.

1 Like

Right, so I don’t have a dutch oven. You think the pan of water is good enough?

1 Like

You can also bake it on a pizza stone if you have one of those? Otherwise just any pan is fine. All the dutch oven does is help develop a thicker crust from the bread steaming itself as it bakes. I haven’t personally had much success with pan in the bottom of the oven but it wouldn’t hurt to try. I suppose you’d want to put it in there long before you put the bread it so it’s already boiling by the time the bread goes in.

That said, can’t recommend a dutch oven enough! Next time you come to Asheville we’ll take a trip to the Le Creuset outlet store here and you can get one for cheap :slight_smile: