James Holden // Masterclass

This video is incredibly cool. I really wish I could watch the whole thing. Anyone have any ideas where or how one could?

So many cool topics here. The idea of setting up a live performance instrument that strikes the balance between improvisation and “playing the hits”, building a hybrid modular // computer setup ( particularly interting to us audulus users i think ) and that amazing karplus-strong physical modeling feedback patch. all these things have been the center of my focus for the last few months so clearly I was thrilled when I came across this video.

anyone know what that spring he’s using to excite the karplus-strong engine? at first i thought it may be meng qi’s lines module but at second glance it looks like its a single spring as opposed to 4. anyway, figured i’d share.

3 Likes

It looks like the error instruments raw spring, which is a super neat idea!

2 Likes

wow cool! thank you for the tip. this will pair up nice with ears as exciters for rings. i have yet to experiment with the karplus-strong stuff in audulus. i’l add that to the pile of ideas. i just messed with using borderlands and samplr as exciters for rings in vcv rack. really a match made in heaven.

2 Likes

You can definitely do Karplus strong!
https://discourse.audulus.com/t/ukarplus-strong/817

2 of the voices in this video are karplus strong voices.

2 Likes

Interested in this idea of human timing errors…It seems like Audulus excels at meandering tools. Looking forward to A4, when the MF Twister receives MIDI out indicators.

2 Likes