Hainbach test equipment

Hey all,
I don’t know about the rest of you, but Hainbach has been a real saving grace for me over the past year or so. His use of test equipment is such a breath of fresh air, it’s really got me thinking about music differently.
I’m curious if anyone else here feels the same, and further if anyone has tried building some Hainbach-esque patches?
I’m really curious about his word generators and lock-in amplifiers. I’ve managed to patch something similar together using an oscillator, vca and band pass, but definitely would like to find something more true to form. Also, would be curios to know if someone has recreated any Bruel & Kjaer oscillators and band pass filter.

Cheers

2 Likes

Perhaps this is a bit of heresy here on the Audulus forum, and I apologize for not keeping this focused on your question. But there is a program called “Berna 3” for Mac and Windows that replicates the instrumentation of a 1950s, classical electronic music studio. It is a complete studio with tape-loopers, test equipment galore, a 4 track and a final stereo tape recorder for mix-downs. It is fully skewmorphic; the different instruments are close replicas of the originals. In v. 3 there are some added features that go beyond what was in the original equipment. It all patches together via a pin-matrix.

It’s difficult to use at first. But its REALLY fun to use. There were earlier versions which lacked the modernized features of v.3. But they are now unavailable. I have really enjoyed working in an environment that replicates our musical ancestors. It really makes you think about how you are making your sounds. There is something …I dunno, more visceral about this approach. It really puts you in touch with the details.
(Softwares Gleetchlab Substantia Fantastic Voyage Berna3 Quadrivium)

That Berna app is fascinating!

I’m definitely aware of Berna and as well think it’s awesome, but unfortunately I don’t use a computer, just iPad.

Oh, and Hainbach rules. Did you ever pursue further the word generator or lock in amplifier idea? Seems the lock in amp could only be emulation of sounds in Audulus, just because the range of sensitivity isn’t possible as it would be for a piece of dedicated scientific equipment (even one almost 50 years old). Imo it’s still a super cool thing to chase, i.e., pulling sounds from noise, artefacts galore, beautiful possibilities.

Hainbach and his test equipment brought me (back) around to the Stockhausen piece “Kontakte”, so fresh to my ears. And that Youtube link also has the score, love that, thank you, Jack Leightcap.