Get midi clock into Audulus from another app which has Ableton Link?

Hi folks, new here and need some pointers. Can someone point me to a tutorial or discussion or patch to study?

My end goal is to get output from Audulus into my ES-8, synced with Ableton Link. So far I have the basics of output, but not the sync bit. For the time being it looks like there is no Ableton Link module in A3, fair enough. I wonder if I could send midi clock into Audulus from a different app that does have Ableton link, eg Rozeta. I could route it with AUM or Audiobus presumably. But so far I have had no luck at all getting any midi into Audulus at all. (Everything is on either just ch 1 or Omni). Can anyone get me started?

Here’s a super simple outline of an audio patch. Something like this sends out audio just fine. But how do I clock the sequencer from outside Audulus?

V
Ultimately I’d like to send control too, On other channels, but I’m just working on sync just now and audio is easier for me to make tests with.

Here’s a picture of the midi routing in AUM. I know I’m missing something I the patch I showed, but what?

Thank you!

Oops. Meant to put this in:

Got it, sort of. I switched to using rozeta bassline instead (don’t know if it mattered), and noticed when I deleted and then re added the midi input, there was an input showing. The midi output from rozeta into the midi input module seems able to act as gate on the step sequencer.

AUM supposedly is also capable of just sending clock to destinations too but I had no luck with that so far. I would be keen to discover a more orthodox way to do this if it turns out mine is a bit of a kludge

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard.
Audulus 3 doesn’t support Ableton Link, MIDI clock or timecode. The cleanest way to sync is by sending a periodic MIDI note. Here’s a link to a master clock with an input for an external 1/4 note beat. Master Clock With Count-in
Hopefully version 4 will eventually support more robust syncing.

1 Like

I am rusty but I can say this:

If you have an app that is enabled with Ableton Link, and can output midi notes, you can treat that app as the master clock and then (through AUM) route the midi notes into Audulus.

Korg Gadget can do this, but I imagine it can also be done with other apps. Here is a thread on it:

If you have two iOS devices, it is also possible to send midi over Bluetooth into Audulus. This would lighten the CPU load. You could have an iPad running Gadget, for example and then have an iPhone running Audulus hooked up to an ES-8.

Personally, I have found that utilizing one of the great master clocks from Audulus (a few to choose from) as the main brain of a synced system gave me the best results — all dependent on the hardware available to work with. But in that case, I would be sending gates from Audulus through the es-8 to clock other modules/devices.

Inevitably what I found though was, I kept bringing more and more functionality in-house (into Audulus). The amount of tools, flexibility and ease of experimentation seem to make Audulus a bit of a acquisition monster, so to speak. That is, whatever some app is doing, Audulus can probably do it.

1 Like

Thank you :pray: looks like that is where I got to in the end, but didn’t know if it was the “right” way. Looking forward to more experiments!

Thank you… the acquisition monster bit made me smile. I wonder if I will go down the Audulus-as-main-clock route you’re suggesting, although link is very attractive to me with little islands of gear using various kinds of sync all over the room. I’m sure once I get everything roughly talking to each other I’ll find fault with whatever I set up but sometimes the fun is just in putting the bits together I guess. Thanks again!

Since you’re working on iOS, you might want to have a look at Drambo by beepstreet.
I’ve purchased Audulus 3 soon after AUv3 support was announced and now that both other great modular synthesis apps on iOS except Audulus support AUv3, I no longer recommend it to newbies.

Being able to use Drambo and miRack as an AUv3 plugin inside your DAW or in AUM, you not only have Ableton LINK support and MIDI clock support in some cases (Beatmaker 3 has excellent master and slave clock support) but also much more straightforward parameter automation and customizable remote control.

Drambo is no 1:1 replacement for Audulus for sure. Audulus lets you build modules with finer granularity while Drambo is “the modular synth for musicians” I would say.
I have yet to find a synth or physical modeling project that I cannot realize in Drambo though.

The latest beta version (soon to be released) has multiple outputs that you can use with your ES-8.

Just my $.1

1 Like

Ah I did grab Drambo a few weeks ago but had no idea at all it could output modulation to es8. Ill have to keep an eye on the release! Thank you

What you can do today: Use an Audio Out (stereo) module for CV + Gate and fine-tune the ES-8 CV scaling to work properly.

What you’ll be able to do once v1.2.0 is on the AppStore (soon):
Load the AUv3 in the latest AUM version with multi-bus AUv3 support, set each Drambo track to one of 8 audio output busses and use AUM mixer tracks to route each of the outputs to individual ES-8 channels.

Enjoy! :blush:

1 Like

Wild scenes here following your suggestion and using @robertsyrett s vpo converter from How to convert Audulus pitch into volt per octave VPO?

I currently have 4 channels of sequencing coming out of Taipei in Gadget, into the ES-8. It sounds awful of course, because at the moment I am not paying any attention to calibration (and I have the envelope info plugged in but not quite right)… but I am a happy noob.

Now to sync some LFOs etc to the midi input…

Thanks for the pointers everyone. I’ll be sure to give drambo a look too.

2 Likes

I am glad to hear that others are finding value through this approach.

2 Likes

Drambo can’t output CV though can it?

1 Like

I found a tool I think could be quite relevant to this particular conversation, so I wanted to post it in here, in case it will help anyone else. There is an app called StreamByter, which seems to be a really useful (and completely FREE!) tool for making your own MIDI utils.

If you use iPad for music making, you’re especially in luck, as the iOS/iPadOS version of StreamByter is free, while the Mac version (with all the same capabilities of this app) is $20!!!

That seems like a pretty good deal for a really useful tool. Also, the maker, Audeonic Apps, has some pretty awesome other tools that are really potentially useful and range from $0 - 5. Be sure to check them out also.

Last, and most importantly, thanks so much for all the guidance, suggestions, and encouragement this year, everyone. I’m really grateful to be a part of such an amazing and helpful group of talented musicians (much more than myself), programmers, synth wizards, etc.

I wish you all a safe and Happy New Year, my friends! :partying_face:

2 Likes