ES-8 in Audulus 4

Hey all, I’m having a bit of a hard time using my ES-8 with 4. I have some 3 patches where I was able to copy and paste the ES-8 out node into a new 4 patch, but I’m having a really hard time converting incoming control voltages to anything close to what they actually should be. Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

1 Like

I’m actually getting a new Eurorack setup soon, so I will be remaking these ES-8 modules for Audulus 4. It’ll be a week or two before I get everything, but I will try to remake them sometime this week so you can see if they’ll work for you.

Can you describe a little more what the problem is exactly - like a 1 in audulus doesn’t output 10v on the module?

Cause every 0.1 value in Audulus should be a volt from the ES-8.

1 Like

The audio ins and outs work accordingly, but the cv source are not. I was trying to use Mutable instruments Stages in sequencer mode to send cv into an oscillator in 4. Normally the cv range per stage is 2 or 3 octaves, but once it goes into 4 it’s only about a perfect fifth.

1 Like

I need to see the patch that you’re using to properly diagnose this - from what you’re describing, it seems to be an error in the way you’re translating the incoming CV signal into octave signal in Audulus.

• CV output: from 0V to +8V. A negative CV down to -8V can be generated by a Hold or Step segment if this segment is CV modulated.

So the Stages outputs up to 8v - that should come in and register as 0, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3… up to a maximum of 0.8, since the maximum input of the ES-8 is 10v.

You then have to translate those 0 to 0.8 signals into a full octave range where 0 on stages represents the lowest pitch value you want and 0.8 represents the highest.

If you upload the patch you’re using, I can probably diagnose the problem, but my guess is you need to translate that signal with an expression something like CV * 10 - 4. This would give you a range of -4 (A0) to 4 (A8).

In other words, if what’s coming in is this signal between 0 and 0.8 and you’re trying to just use that, then that would be why you’re only getting a 5th.

I tried throwing the expression you listed in between the incoming cv and the oscillator. It appears to be behaving more as it should. I wish I knew a little more about the under the hood features of Audulus to give a better idea of what was happening and if your solution has definitely corrected it. That being said, this will certainly help for now. But if you could let me know once you’ve made those updates, I’d love to get something more official in the mix.

Cheers!

It would help me a lot to help you if you could upload the patch here that you’re using so I can see how you’ve wired it.

Basically, Audulus’ maximum I/O range is scaled -1 to 1, and the ES-8’s maximum is -10 to 10 volts.

That means each 0.1 increment in Audulus is 1 volt.

Also, -0.1 is -1 volts.

So if you have a signal coming in that’s 8 volts, it will be represented as 0.8 once its in Audulus. If that’s what you see when you turn a stages stage all the way up, then I was correct in diagnosing the problem you were having.

The rest about understanding the octave signal, you can watch the VCO videos and check out the corresponding tutorial patches here:

https://discourse.audulus.com/t/module-library-tutorial/3129

New Patch 3.audulus4 (77.9 KB)

Hopefully this is what you’re looking for, and hopefully I uploaded it right.

Thank you! That’s exactly what I was looking for. It does seem like you have this wired up correctly. You can insert a quantizer in between that expression and the oscillator to make it easier to tune in steps, if you’d like:

New Patch 3 with quantizer.audulus4 (114.3 KB)

Awesome, I’ll load it up tonight once I’m off work and report back.

1 Like

Everything appears to be work well. Thanks again!

1 Like