Echoes in Space and Time Module

Echoes in Space and Time

I built this today with my Mono Tape Stutter Delay as a sort of inspirational wonder about how else I could make some neat, multi-tiered delay node based effects, and after a couple of hours experimenting with sounds and settings, the Echoes in Space and Time tape echo style delay was completed. Each knob labeled with an ‘H’ is meant to be like an adjustable playback head in a tape echo/delay. It can go from very tame and complimentary to some interesting sounds, or it can totally destroy the sound coming though and mangle it into some thing unexpected and new. I hope you guys like it! Please let me know if you have any issues or find any glaringly obvious flaws I should be embarrassed to have released, and will correct immediately. I hope everyone is having a great weekend! :blush:

I/O

Input Signal Range Notes
Audio Signal +1/-1 You can technically feed any level of sound signal through it, provided you have a suitable attenuator at the end of the effect chain in which you place this module to ensure your signal will not exceed the A3 maximum of +/- 1v audio signal, in order to prevent clipping.

Output Signal Range Notes
Same as above ^ +1/-1 See input notes

Controls

Knobs Function Notes
Mix Knob Balance dry/wet signal in the effect module None
Feedback Knob Controls how much sound is being fed from the output back into the effect to be affected further None
H1-H4 Knobs Each acts like a virtual tape playback head in the module and the lower the knob number and value, the ‘closer’ the head is to the source of recording to the tape, and vice versa for higher number and values Modulating these individual knobs with different signals can yield wild and unpredictable results, which can result in some very unique sounds being produced.

Displays

Meter Displays Notes
N/A N/A N/A

Version History

Revision File Date Notes
V1.0 Echoes in Space and Time.audulus (33.9 KB) 2020/12/05

Demos

Revision File Date Notes
V1.0 Echoes in Space and Time Demo.audulus (152.2 KB) 2020/12/05
3 Likes

This is awesome :grinning: :+1:
I didn‘t find something you should be ashamed of so far (:stuck_out_tongue:) but I have a suggestion / something cool I found:
While experimenting with your demo patch I found that throwing out the auto pan, sending some delays left and some right gives a really nice stereo effect.
Here my edit:
Echoes in Space and Time Demo Fan Edit.audulus (157.7 KB)

1 Like

@J031 I appreciate the props for my design, thank you for the compliment, but really, I gotta give it up man :clap::clap::clap::clap: because that tension you had it building and then dropping in your example was perfect, and it had me like “I wish my example had sounded this good…” :exploding_head: man I got outshined hard on that one. Great job man. :smiley:

I just have two questions:

1. what is the deal with this? I was trying to figure out what it does, and the best I could come up with is that, overall, it might be bringing a slight bit more dry signal into the overall output of the module. Is that correct?

2. for whatever the answer to #1 above is, I just wondered why you only ran a line to one side? I added the line to the other, as I realized that overall, that was going to favor one side more than the other by however much the signal was being changed by the addition above. I ran it to the other side too, and (maybe it’s just my OCD brain that doesn’t like to leave things unbalanced haha) it sounded better to my ears, but like I said, no idea what the addition was for, so maybe this will help me to understand the whole thing.

1 Like

It‘s honestly just the result of me having fun with YOUR demo patch / YOUR module and some happy accidents :smiley:

Yea pretty much. Its basically just a quick fix for a side effect of sending some delays left and some right.

Because the dry/wet mix is adjusted for all delays together and the delays feed into each other, the signal sounds more wet the further down the delay chain it is. This also means that you here more dry signal on one side than the other one wich made it sound like the dry signal was panned to one side… so I just added a little bit of it to the other side as well. This however is not really the smartest fix since this means that there will be some dry signal on one side even when the dry wet mix is turned all the way to wet (which will make it sound unbalanced again in some cases)

1 Like

That’s a really great demonstration of why you use the RIGHT NOW FIX to keep focus on the creative spark, where you would almost certainly lose it if you were to focus on the fine details of the RIGHT FIX. I am learning slowly to let go of my compulsion toward fixating on the details so that I can free my mind to just be creative and expressive. Art doesn’t require tools to be built with the most well planned out, clean and functional aesthetic at all times. That’s a very clever trick I will certainly add to my toolbox. Thanks for explaining the how and why of it! :smiley:

2 Likes