Curiosity About Variable Env Length and Bit Reduction Effect?

In general I think it’s safe to treat a gate as a high/low signal with the exception of the gate from the keyboard node. In that case the gate height is proportional to the MIDI velocity. Most envelopes in Audulus take this into account and vary their height as the gate height varies as opposed to modifying the envelope output downstream.

BTW my apologies if this is “old news”. It’s sometimes hard to know what is and isn’t obvious.

1 Like

Not old news to me! That’s pretty huge, actually. What about negative gate values? (I can/should test.)

2 Likes

I guess It would depend on the specific envelope but in general I wouldn’t expect one to respond to a negative signal.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion, there. The -1 doesn’t serve a purpose for this particular patch. The sequencer I built has that output as another source of modulation that triggers on the beat to give a random alternating value that can be +/-1 that I thought some could use.

If you sub in this new version, this one can work with the negative signals as the inverse envelope.

Invertible Expandable Envelope.audulus (6.1 KB)

Edit: It has to be either the positive env or the -env. I am not aware of a way that it can go both ways, but that doesn’t mean it is not possible. :thinking:

Edit 2: Re-thinking this, after reading @stschoen comment above, and it should not react to the negative input, but it can take the positive input and flip that over and make it negative. Sorry for my idiocy, there. I am simultaneously working on a refresher course of RedHat OpenShift/Kubernetes container management, and so the lights were on, but nobody was home as I made that adjustment hahah

1 Like

Btw, here’s the SH3-style vibrato module. A4 version. It’s a hz transformation, ie, input/output hz + vibrato in cents. (I began my Audulus journey sidestepping the Audulus octave standard, using units most familiar, hz + cents, easy enough to translate to octave/CV range…)

vibrato.zip (16.6 KB)

1 Like

Here’s an somewhat different envelope generator I did a while back. It’s a bit more flexible that a standard ADSR.
https://discourse.audulus.com/t/variable-curve-adsr-envelope-generator/328?u=stschoen

1 Like

That sounds AWESOME! That is goin in the library for sure :grinning:

Yes! Awesome…

1 Like

Wait, haven’t tried to sort it out yet but looking at the waveform viewer there are constant unexpected/undesired peaks/valleys at stage points, expected or A4 change?

Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 6.17.58 PM

1 Like

Yeah I was afraid that something like that might happen. I haven’t debugged much yet. I’m waiting till A4 is a bit more stable. There are a few feedback loops in the generator that probably need to be tweaked. “Timing is everything”

1 Like

Gotcha. Well, worth the wait…

1 Like

Probably should work on that one, I use it a lot. I’ll let you know when I’ve got it fixed.

1 Like

I’d use it a lot, too!

1 Like

Gave the multi-stage envelope a shot to see if I could pull something together on my own. First run, not sure I like my counter/mux approach, not sure yet if it’ll stand up to much knob twiddling.

mstage-env_v0.1.zip (30.6 KB)

1 Like

I use it a lot too.
I’ts my go to envelope in A3 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sorry I missed your comment yesterday. It’s good to hear from you as well. Glad there are still a few of us A3 veterans about.

1 Like

For those that are interested, I posted a fixed version in #patches on the A4 Discord.

2 Likes

I had a look at your envelope. Interesting design. I like the addition of a sustain toggle and attenuverter knob. I think you may have a bit of an issue when the gate is shorter than the total envelope time. Of course that depends on what you want the envelope to do.

1 Like

Definitely an issue, I was chasing the same/similar graph yours had… Something to do with the counter/mux setup used to go to each stage. I was going to try to fix it then you posted your update. Also, imo your curve formulas are nicer. Sustain toggle is also in the V4 “Core AD/R” envelope (which thus far is an unfinished Library patch), I thought it was a good idea.

2 Likes

The stage to stage transitions were what gave me the most trouble. Also getting the envelope to behave reasonably with different length gates.

2 Likes