Considering a Fully Portable Modular

Just checking - are you looking at your max power supply requirements? DATA + ES-8 alone might get you really close to the maximum.

Excuse me, but what’s the point of DATA in a compact case like this?

1 Like

Audulus has no proper scope like this, Data has a number of other functions, since it is such a small case in the future it could be useful as a custom oscilloscope/stereo effect box.

This isn’t to say that my thinking is rightheaded here, it is just to share what I was thinking. I was also looking at this one.

41%20AM

But as you can see earlier in the thread, this idea really starts to inhibit having a standalone voice.

1 Like

Audulus will have a scope in A4, which is coming out sometime early next year - so if you can wait that long, I’d suggest holding out on the DATA - unless you really love it, and it is very cool I admit. It’s also an oscillator and I believe a quantizer now too.

1 Like

DATA is a fully functional oscilloscope and voltage utility. It can be used on signals exterior to the case as well as provide visual enjoyment during music time.

1 Like

I know what DATA is, I just can’t justify it even in my upcoming 208 hp system - I’d rather have another filter or a proper oscillator :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well my DATA is languishing in a box at the moment, but I do have plans for it. It’s a great module for those who need it. I just meant to say that it has the same value as a regular bench oscilloscope, like feature for feature almost. So the argument of value for space is quite high, if you are the sort who enjoys bench oscilloscopes.

2 Likes

My dad bought a great old bench scope for cheap when his company closed down years ago. I found it indispensable for building and troubleshooting DIY circuit boards. He lives on the other side of the country though. What I was using it for was checking to see if certain waveforms were being properly generated at various spots along the circuit. When you fix some missoldered connections and an asymmetrical waveform finally appears on the scope, its a great feeling. Its likewise a reassuring feeling when at first you have no sound from your build, but you can at least find solid waveforms at the pots or on the integrated circuits.

All this being said, I am not an electrical engineer and I would be worried to cook my eurorack by using it this way. It would be nice to know some of the guaranteed safe ways to use it for troubleshooting, how not to use it, and anything you can do to protect it.

I fried an iPod touch just using it as a clean oscilator for testing a guitar pedal board. Luckily I replaced it with an iPad and eventually discovered Audulus!

4 Likes

What a horror story, how did that happen?

1 Like

It’s super easy to fry any output jack on Apple stuff if you accidentally plug an input into it :confused: I did that…twice!

You probably wouldn’t, but if you just want one to do waveform analysis, you can get them much cheaper and battery operated even. You could get a scope with more functions for the same price and it wouldn’t take up any space on your rack.

1 Like

The issue here is that I have no more space on my body to carry more #@$t around. Buying a scope doesn’t seem like the right move. Then I would also need to power the scope somehow.

1 Like

I meant if your’e doing electronics and debugging that kinda stuff, a separate scope would be a better choice. I didn’t imagine you building electronics in a field, but maybe that’s what you’re talking about doing? It’s just a lot of money to drop when you can use Audulus with a separate iOS scope for now, and then in 2019 will be able to use it with the built-in scope that it will ship with.

I’d question the more functions part, but pocket oscilloscopes can definitely compare two traces. I just really like the DATA’s buffered through, which handheld units typically lack, and the voltage meter, which is handy for calibrating oscillators. So @futureaztec if you do decide to go this route, look for those features.

1 Like

Unless I am missing something, there is no proper scope for iOS, nothing that would approach DATA at least. However, for the time being I would be happy to take some recommendations.

There is also the issue of CPU. This is why I was thinking of trying to get a delay based effect module up and running as well, so I could maybe do a send on a channel through the ES-8 and get some nice analog flavour.

As you know, building delay based effects eats CPU.

2 Likes

A stereo delay doesn’t use too much CPU - what uses a lot of CPU is using many, many delays, like when you create a reverb. There isn’t much calculation that needs to happen to create a delay - it’s just storing what is coming in and retrieving it, and then mixing more incoming signal as it decays older material.

What you might want to consider is instead of getting a dedicated bucket brigade delay (which there aren’t a lot of in Eurorack, and there are much better more versatile choices in guitar pedals) is to get a filter and create an Audulus patch that uses the filter in the feedback path. If you want stereo, you’d need two filters, of course. But in that sense you would have a more versatile system since those filters could do other things for you as well (and do some things analog delays can’t do, like HP delay).

I’m pretty sure you’ve seen this, but in case you haven’t:

So I would pick up something like the Jove and route the signal through a send/return?

A couple of things. Wouldn’t this take over the use of the filter, making it greedy in a small case? Wouldn’t this also use up precious channels?

1 Like

Looking at filters…The Erica Synths Dual VCF caught my eye (with the idea of trying to be stereo so that if I want to put a performance through the rack I would preserve the stereo signal in my tracks.

A bunch of their stuff is on sale right now.

Looking at their line I also got interested in the Pico stuff. Really cool to see them cramming some beautiful modules into less hp.

Slipping one of these in the box still leaves the system wide open instead of that lovely giant dual vcf.

And for the pedal route a Ukrainian eurorack vendor Knob.farm has a module called Ferry, which adjusts the modular levels to line levels for connecting pedals and studio gear, and increases the level again, so basically its a stereo send / return module for external gear.

Yes, but I kinda wish I’d had the ES-3/6 combo to have more I/O. Jove is an amazing filter. It would require at least one output and one input from the ES-8.