AUv3 Delayed Until Audulus 4

The UI we’re talking about is just the standard “new version, new look” tweak. It necessarily has to come first because it kinda drives the way other things are manifested - however, it doesn’t mean it’s more important than anything else we’re adding, including MIDI out. It’s just the first step :slight_smile:

Will we have sample node on audulus 4? :smiley:

2 Likes

Yep! We will.

3 Likes

When I bought Audulus I was allready realy surprised by how mutch you can do with it and I thought that something like a Sampler node would be realy cool.
But it looks like everything I could possibly want in Audulus will be added in Audulus 4.
I‘m realy looking forward to it :grinning:

2 Likes

We’re going to be able to do a lot with the new sampler node - read, write, import, export - loopers, delays, granular stuff, wavetable synthesis, using .wav files as lookup tables…and so on. Very powerful.

8 Likes

It’s been a while since we had any kind of update on progress with AUv3 or Audulus 4 - how near are we with either?

Is there a ball park date that can be shared, or are things not that clear yet in terms of release date?

3 Likes

I think the answer is that completion of A4 is not imminent and that they don’t have a clearer timeline than that. It sounds like a huge project and hard to know how long it will take to complete.

I think @biminiroad gave the sense that it wasn’t likely to be done before the last quarter of 2019.

Is that correct?

2 Likes

Audulus 4 is in early Beta testing. The underlying code is being extensively rewritten to improve performance and add new functionality. Whenever you make big changes bugs are inevitable and it take time to find and correct them. As @espiegel123 said, there’s currently no projected release date, but @Taylor is hard at work on the new version.

4 Likes

Can you still route arbitrary outputs to knobs in A4 as you can in A3? There was talk about removing this (awesome) feature.

1 Like

At this point knobs can still be directly modulated. While it’s possible this could change before release, I don’t think that it’s likely.

3 Likes

The talk was surrounding being able to nest modules within modules, and how it complicates things if you want to group a module into another one and maintain connections. I’m sort of on the fence in that I think it might be more useful to push users towards a new paradigm where every knob on a module has a corresponding input (like eurorack) and with normalization, the knob can work one way when nothing is plugged into the corresponding input, and work another way (like being an attenuverter or attenuator) when something is plugged in. Maybe both are possible - or even preferable - but it’s just something to consider :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I tend to agree with @biminiroad. While it’s nice to be able to quickly modulate any knob, it has some downsides as well. When modulating a knob directly, you have to scale and offset the modulator before connecting to the knob and the modulation is necessarily unipolar since a clamped knob has a range from 0 to 1. By using a dedicated modulation input, it’s possible to scale, offset and even invert the modulation within the module itself. I have started to include modulation inputs on some of my designs, at least for those parameters that are commonly modulated.

1 Like

Yes and no.

I think it is worth thinking of modulating knobs as a different use-case application from designing new modules and using them as intended.

When I accidentally discovered that anything could be wire to a knob, I was able --in almost no time–to repurpose existing library modules and examples to create amazing (to me) surprising realtime performances , creating sounds that literally no other app could by requiring on the fly.

It is quite amazing what one can do. Now, if one had to go and reprogram all those modules to allow proper routing of inputs to influence the parameters a few negative consequences would kick in:

• it would require many orders of magnitude more time to modify those modules to accept modulation inputs for every single knob
  • the screen real estate needed would explode
  • the amount of knowledge needed would skyrocket

In my opinion, if more people knew about things like this and there were more tutorials for people that want to use Audulus modules but don’t want to learn Audulus programming, Audulus iOS user base would explode.

I was at it and learned a fair amount of Audulus programming before I realized how many cool totally unique things you can do in Audulus by taking existing modules and wiring things to their knobs.

It would be super-worthwhile if @taylor could make it so that you can continue to wire things arbitrarily (or semi arbitrarily) to knobs AND provides the other mechanisms discussed to allow knobs to be influenced by normalling or control values that have “real inputs”.

It would be a shame if Audulus lost something so unique. I’d celebrate it and let more people know about it.

4 Likes

I had this experience too. It’s also something special to Audulus, and I think losing it would also mean making Audulus a bit like everything else.

2 Likes

The current beta of A4 still has knob modulation as a feature. That could of course potentially change as things progress. @taylor knows it’s a popular feature, so I think it’s pretty safe, but even if it weren’t, you can always rewire a module at any time. In some ways opening up a module and changing the innards is a far more rewarding experience than simply tweaking the exposed controls. You can often see what the module designer had in mind and make changes deeper than just a knob turn. Either way I think Audulus will still be an amazing app going forward.

3 Likes

That is true for coders like us, but for the majority of people (even I daresay people that have purchased Audulus) opening up modules and modifying is not something they either know how to do or enjoy. But, even a total noob uninterested in programming, knob wiring is highly rewarding and doesn’t require a lot of knowledge.

I think if this were better known – it would attract (at least on iOS) quite a lot of people that are otherwise scared of Audulus.

I’ve been thinking about putting together some video tutorials about Audulus from the modular rather coder perspective – and this would be a topic – but I will wait till it’s known whether the feature is going to be around in A4.

Fingers crossed.

6 Likes

Sweet!

1 Like

I agree with @espiegel123 about trying to appeal to users who are more focused on being able to wire modules together rather than wanting to learn how to program every aspect of Audulus. I think it would be good to preserve the ability to modulate knobs as well as add the new normalized functionality that @stschoen and @biminiroad have mentioned as well.

I really hope there’s more focus on being able to support a more robust performance mode where people don’t accidentally break patches when they’re trying to perform. I also hope the issue of what a kludge it’s been to design a GUI for an end user patch with a limited set of controls for smaller screens is addressed so you can selectively expose what you want to appear at the top level rather than having to reconnect everything from a program structured view to a user player GUI (this is the most tedious aspect of Audulus 3 for me).

5 Likes

@Paulinko I think you’ll be pleased by Audulus 4 :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Look forward to it, the features for Audulus 4 are a leap forward. I hope more people will start to dig in and explore its possibilities once it’s released.

3 Likes