Audulus 4 development thread 🤓

Is the Midi Fighter Twister fully functional with it? Ie., do we have MIDI back and fourth?

give us a sneak peek of it already)))

2 Likes

I kept picturing the midi fighter twister but with some sort of display. Faderfox made it. It would be so nice to be able to assign knobs and have the knob names come up on display. Is this a good candidate for an Audulus 4 controller?

Looks pretty cool. The display could be very useful. From the brief overview I looked at, it looks to be quite flexible. There isn’t any position feedback on the knobs themselves, but the display can be used to provide knob position although you then lose the knob label. I still would prefer an individual display for each knob but that would certainly make it more expensive.

1 Like

It’ll temporarily show the value you’re at while you’re adjusting. I have one that I use for my Fh-2 and I’m going to start messing with it for audulus, too! It doesn’t save CC values when you cycle power, at least that I’ve figured out yet, but I know there’s sysex import/export functionality and I assume you can save values that way. Highly recommended but also comes with a pretty steep price tag. Also the labels are only four characters each so far. Hopefully in the future they enable scrolling labels or something!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the info. The fact that it displays values while adjusting is big. The price tag is a bit steep, but I really like that Fader Fox would be getting the profit on it. For me, 4 characters is enough. With loosing cc values when cycling power, I am wondering if the Audulus patches themselves would be the memory, so that when you load a patch, the controller would simply reflect the knob positions. A very important point. Makes me wonder what it would take to get that interfacing right, as well as what would need to be in place on the controller side or on the Audulus 4 side, respectively.

would be interested if midi out is in the works for audulus 4. I also have been contemplating some h/w investments that I’d more readily pull the trigger on knowing that I could convert to midi from the next version (and also save a bunch of outs on the es-8!)

1 Like

It took awhile for mine to come and I was told that the company is a single fellow building each unit individually, and it shows in the build quality. Because of this I would think you could contact him and work with him on a future firmware update or preset. There seem to be a lot of custom controllers on the website so maybe you could also work with him on a limited run of Audulus controllers or something!

2 Likes

I’m only briefly acquainted with faderfox (loopop preview, it looks like an excellent option) but I think the limitation is on the audulus side, as there’s presently no midi output from the app. I’ve read murmurings here that midi out is in the plans for version 4, and really hoping that’s true. I have a few semi modular synths to which I send vpo, gate, and velocity via an es-8 and es-3 combo, but the sends really add up, and if I could get those basics out via midi it’d free up channels for more fun CV stuff!

1 Like

FYI I’m happy to serve as a tester if the need arises. I have a 2013 iMac and some model iPad Pro, both with Audulus 3 installed.

1 Like

I’ll also be happy to test, for iOS , especially if you’d like testing done with the faderfox ec4!

1 Like

Same Same hit me up, i can’t wait to try it !

Look forward to digging into testing for Audulus 4. The AUv3 functionality in the Audulus 3 betas was quite tantalizing so I look forward to it coming to fruition in Audulus 4 along with all of the additional new and existing features :+1:t3:.

3 Likes

I would love to test for ios as well, I also have an ES-8, and a 12" ipad pro (2018, not the new ones).

1 Like

I would love to test the beta with iPad Pro 11” 2019. I also have a bunch of gear I’d like to try out with it: KeyStep / BeatStep Pro / Digitone, I’ve read midi out is coming? then add a couple of synth.

1 Like

Looks like there are a lot of people itching to try out the beta (me included)!

I know we have to wait…but it’s so difficult!

2 Likes

I have v3, look forward to v4. Always happy there are many beta volunteers so I can get it when ready. I am glad if it costs more, I basically had all versions, when the developer works so hard like in the Audulus case.

1 Like

My primary interest in Audulus is the augmentation of my hardware modular via the ES-8 interface with the iOS app.

I am most eagerly looking forward to sampling and multitouch.

I hope with multitouch comes opportunities for new controller-type nodes or modules.

I am surprised that deeper touch control capabilities are barely discussed in feature request threads.

Imagine using the iPad like an open-ended Buchla Thunder / 223e

I would also like to see more attention given to external voltage converters. While I have found some creative solutions on this forum, I feel these features could be more officially/seamlessly supported. Receiving and sending v/oct, gates/triggers, etc.

2 Likes

Are there any specific conversions you could point to? I agree, often there are some fantastic tools buried here and there — sometimes it’s tough to know which modules are the most recent. If I am not mistaken v/oct should be fully covered.

Here is a patch with a few of the converters I have collected from this forum and occasionally adapted for myself.
ES-8 converters.audulus (29.8 KB)
One of the major problems I encounter is translating analog signals from my rack thru the ES-8 into their Audulus equivalent.

External VPO, Gates, even Modulation Signals all required some special attention to behave semi-normally when brought in to Audulus.
Luckily there is less of a problem with sending signals (such as VPO) out of Audulus into the analog realm, but the solution still only came as a Forum Collection module rather than something built in.

I don’t really have much of a programming background, so these solutions do not come to me as intuitively as they do for some of you.
(Thanks again to those of you who helped me with these.)
This is why I think some of these solutions should come standard with future versions of Audulus.

2 Likes