Audulus 4 development thread šŸ¤“

Looks like there are a lot of people itching to try out the beta (me included)!

I know we have to waitā€¦but itā€™s so difficult!

2 Likes

I have v3, look forward to v4. Always happy there are many beta volunteers so I can get it when ready. I am glad if it costs more, I basically had all versions, when the developer works so hard like in the Audulus case.

1 Like

My primary interest in Audulus is the augmentation of my hardware modular via the ES-8 interface with the iOS app.

I am most eagerly looking forward to sampling and multitouch.

I hope with multitouch comes opportunities for new controller-type nodes or modules.

I am surprised that deeper touch control capabilities are barely discussed in feature request threads.

Imagine using the iPad like an open-ended Buchla Thunder / 223e

I would also like to see more attention given to external voltage converters. While I have found some creative solutions on this forum, I feel these features could be more officially/seamlessly supported. Receiving and sending v/oct, gates/triggers, etc.

2 Likes

Are there any specific conversions you could point to? I agree, often there are some fantastic tools buried here and there ā€” sometimes itā€™s tough to know which modules are the most recent. If I am not mistaken v/oct should be fully covered.

Here is a patch with a few of the converters I have collected from this forum and occasionally adapted for myself.
ES-8 converters.audulus (29.8 KB)
One of the major problems I encounter is translating analog signals from my rack thru the ES-8 into their Audulus equivalent.

External VPO, Gates, even Modulation Signals all required some special attention to behave semi-normally when brought in to Audulus.
Luckily there is less of a problem with sending signals (such as VPO) out of Audulus into the analog realm, but the solution still only came as a Forum Collection module rather than something built in.

I donā€™t really have much of a programming background, so these solutions do not come to me as intuitively as they do for some of you.
(Thanks again to those of you who helped me with these.)
This is why I think some of these solutions should come standard with future versions of Audulus.

2 Likes

I imagine that this was the driving intent behind the library reface. Interesting how buried this is. I have made the case many times about the need to improve curating. @stschoenā€™s Clocked Looper, for example, is a pretty big ā€œfeatureā€ added late in the release. One of the most underrated guitar/genreal audio looping options on the market, but has no official forum entry yet! :joy: I understand the notion of coded features, but I bet for end users it would move way more units if this was packaged differently. I understand that earlier in the life of Audulus it was a builders landscape. I think that it is inevitable over time that when all of this gets shared it shifts into a users paradise. In that case, mind you, the app junkies almost need to get to the goods faster rather than need to be in on a 2 year forum dialogue to know whatā€™s what.

4 Likes

I agree whole heartedly with these ideas.

I hope there will also be an ability to more easily create patches that are focused on playing for end users so that thereā€™s more separation between creating and playing patches.

I think the success of VCV Rack highlights how there is a significant interest in users who are more interested in connecting modules together for performance rather than just wanting to create their own modules. I know Taylor has very seriously looked into these issues.

Currently, people who want to just play an Audulus 3 patch can inadvertently break a patch and not have sufficient knowledge to figure out how to fix it.

I hope a player proofed way to use Audulus for people who have no interest in creating their own modules will emerge in Audulus 4. It would be nice to see the work of talented patch makers be used by more people who currently see Audulus as an inscrutable puzzle theyā€™re not willing to figure out.

3 Likes

Crazy year and I hope everyone is staying safe.

Love using Audulus 3 but also curious if there are any updates on 4 development?

3 Likes

Hi there,
I am an Audulus newbie, but a modular ā€œoldieā€.
I have chosen to explore Audulus, because it seems to be the best iOS modular.
Despite my limited Audulus experience, there is one observation I would like to pass on.
I have tried various software modular implementations, and in regards to UI and joy of use, one stands mile-high above: Bitwigs ā€œThe Gridā€.
To give an example of the userfriendliness of The Grid: If you have, say, an osc into a VCA, then you can drag, say, a filter on top of the VCA input, and it will automaticly be inserted between the osc and VCA, - no cabling to fiddle with. And also no gap or pop in the audio.

This is probably not news to you, but I just thought I should mention, as is seems that Audulus has the same kind of DNA as The Grid, in its way of thinking: ā€œWhat is the best software implementation of a modular synthā€, instead of the absolutely dreadful ā€œWhat is the best carbon copy of a physical real-world modular synth.ā€
(Anyone who have tried one of the Moog modular softwares, knows how frustratingly futile that idea is.)

4 Likes

I agree. Things like that would definitely be nice to have in Audulus. However, I think that implementing something like this in audulus would be a little bit more difficult than in the Grid because of a big difference between them:

The Grid offers pre build Modules you can use.
Audulus offers nodes / building blocks, that users can use to build modules them selves.

So, to implement an auto-place-between-feature (or whatever you want to call it) we would need to have some way to define which input and output should be used when the module is placed between two others.
(Sounds possible :smile:)

Isnā€™t Audulus 4 vaporware at this point? I actually lost hope it will be released. Announced changes & additions in the new version didnā€™t seem that big to justify almost 2 years of development.

There is actually a beta, and much good work is being done right now. Itā€™s definitely taking a while but I expect it is going to be astonishing. Itā€™s more of an operating system than just a plug-in. Hang tight friend!

2 Likes

For Audulus 4 the code was completely rewritten to make it more flexible. Hence itā€™s taking some time :slight_smile:

Is the beta only for friends and family? Cool that it is astonishing.

The Audulus 4 action is all happening on the Discord server :blush: https://discourse.audulus.com/t/audulus-discord-server-and-special-surprise/2597

3 Likes

Hello there,

iā€™m thinking about buying audulus 3, but wonder if v4 will be released soon, so I need some advice if itā€˜s a good time to buy audulus 3 for wait for maybe some months and stick to pd/mobmuplat until then?
will there be an upgrade option?

thank you
nic

Weā€™re closing in on the finish lineā€¦ check out the public beta I posted here: Audulus 4 public beta!

3 Likes

uh, wow :slight_smile: perfect, that was a fast answer :slight_smile: . but :grimacing: will it be available for iphone (6s) too or iPad only?

thanks
nic

Hey sure thingā€¦ iPad only.

Sry for asking again :crazy_face:
this refers to the beta or the final release?